collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa match thread by devilla
[Today at 08:26:38 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:24:04 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:08:23 PM]

Tennis 2024 by maidstonevillain
[Today at 08:02:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Deluded  (Read 14897 times)

Offline rutski

Deluded
« on: November 06, 2010, 10:10:41 PM »
The performances of our youth over the last few games have been great, however i feel you are putting too much emphasis on how much this crop of youngsters can achieve without the big name signings and big name squad players we have to make an impact!
I love Albrighton, Bannon is making great strides in parts of the game and clark looks as composed as Barry did some 10 years ago, but if we rely on these players we will suffer the same fate as 25years ago.
They need to be introduced with better players and it is alright saying if we dont try them how will we know, well look at cahill, davis, ridgewell, moore and moore. We would have gone down if they had been mainstays of the team 4 years ago!
These players need to be led into the premiership instead of a battle which we, i know lots dont believe, we are in! I think we look like a club in a little bit of shit!

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Deluded
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 10:12:21 PM »
I don't think we need to rely solely on them, but they will supplement some quality additions. Once those quality additions come in, the young players will improve with them and they're already showing real quality.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 10:27:36 PM »
I don't think we need to rely solely on them, but they will supplement some quality additions. Once those quality additions come in, the young players will improve with them and they're already showing real quality.

I've seen more skill, guile and composure from Clark and Bannan in 120 minutes of football than I've seen from any midfield players at the club for about 10 years.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 10:30:18 PM »
The trouble is that, given the amount we have spent over the last 4 seasons, the quality players should already be there.  We should be in the position where our very promising youngsters are adding to an already quality squad.  We have some, but too many passengers.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 10:42:11 PM »
The squad needs an overhaul to be honest and we need to find a balance of experience and youth. The summer is going to be huge for us.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 10:50:37 PM »
This is a pretty rubbish post tbh.  Clark, Albrighton and Bannan were probably our 3 best players today and the fonz did well playing up front on his own in his first ever premier league start.

The biggest problem for the kids is that albrighton and clark should have 20-30 more starts each but Mon under played them.  This is biting us in the ass now we've got a big injury list because for all the natural talent they are still a bit green in terms of professionalism (perfectly explained by the foul that led to fulham's goal).

Yes we need to improve the squad with established players but none of those 4 should be the ones making way.  Add in Gardner, Lichaj and Delph and we've got the makings of a truly awesome young side, a year in midtable this season (which wouldn't be shocking given the timing of mon's departure) will only be acceptable if each of these kids has 15+ starts to their name by the summer, we've long lauded our youth and reserves, lets show that the system works by producing players capable of making the step up.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 11:00:36 PM »

The biggest problem for the kids is that albrighton and clark should have 20-30 more starts each but Mon under played them.  This is biting us in the ass now we've got a big injury list because for all the natural talent they are still a bit green in terms of professionalism (perfectly explained by the foul that led to fulham's goal).

There are not many managers including the likes of Fergie who has 20-21 year olds with 30 odd starts. They played in cups with the occasional league appearance the same as most kids come through.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 11:01:33 PM »
It's not Clark, Albrighton, Bannan and Delfouneso that are our problem... It is the senior players. Some of these senior pros have let us down time and again. Some of them are still getting into the team now for Christ's sake. If we have the money to invest and GHou does so wisely then we are looking good.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 11:02:29 PM »

I've seen more skill, guile and composure from Clark and Bannan in 120 minutes of football than I've seen from any midfield players at the club for about 10 years.

I agree. They've shown real promise.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 11:08:55 PM »
What's even more annoying is that MON never gave them a chance over the last year or so, meaning that they are having to be thrown in at the deep end.  It's to their credit that they did so well today.

Offline rutski

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 11:14:52 PM »
This is a pretty rubbish post tbh.  Clark, Albrighton and Bannan were probably our 3 best players today and the fonz did well playing up front on his own in his first ever premier league start.

Yes we need to improve the squad with established players but none of those 4 should be the ones making way.  Add in Gardner, Lichaj and Delph and we've got the makings of a truly awesome young side, a year in midtable this season (which wouldn't be shocking given the timing of mon's departure) will only be acceptable if each of these kids has 15+ starts to their name by the summer, we've long lauded our youth and reserves, lets show that the system works by producing players capable of making the step up.
thanks for your acknowlegement of said post but put birch, bradley,glover,kerr, ormsby and walker in with seasoned pros and not the addition of top players we all know where that leads us!

I am not bemoaning their talent, i am saying if we put too much faith in these youngsters we will be in the mire!

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 11:16:19 PM »
It's alright saying they should be put in with experienced players, but short of wheeling them onto the pitch we don't have much option.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 11:17:58 PM »
I think most Villa watchers recognise that the team built by Martin O'Neill is pretty much over. This to me means that we're at the beginning of a rebuilding job rather than having a largely complete squad to augment with youth. It appears that youth is going to be a big part of this new squad and if that means a season or two kicking around the middle of the league while the squad is rebuilt and the younger players cement their places then there's not a lot you can do about that.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 11:26:41 PM »
We've paid badly for the last few years of not building the squad's depth properly. Fortunately the youngsters coming through are helping make that mistake less costly, but it needs to be addressed.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »

There are not many managers including the likes of Fergie who has 20-21 year olds with 30 odd starts. They played in cups with the occasional league appearance the same as most kids come through.

The problem is we don't have much choice.  The reality is there were times last season when albrighton at least should have been given starts ahead of young and downing, when both of them were out on their feet and completely ineffective.  Ditto Fonz getting games ahead of gabby.  Bannan was out on loan so can't count him and Clark is probably just unlucky that Collins, Dunne and Cuellar were all on top form for most of the season (when playing central in cuellar's case).  Delph should have 15-20 starts by now but was massively underused as well before his injury.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal