collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Barry Bannan - The New James Milner?  (Read 25127 times)

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Barry Bannan - The New James Milner?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 10:59:33 PM »
I think its unfair to compare Bannan to Milner. Bannan is only just breaking into the first team but is showing some great promise. He seems to have an eye for a pass and always wants the ball the signs are encouraging.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 11:52:40 PM »
we have not had a player like this for a very long time, his awareness touch and vision is special we will strugle to hold onto him

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 11:56:04 PM »
we have not had a player like this for a very long time, his awareness touch and vision is special we will strugle to hold onto him

Always one for the bright side, eh Hawks? :P

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 11:59:57 PM »
Great performance by Bannan today. Kept the ball well, picked out some really delicious passes, didn't mind making a tackle or two and he likes to have a shot from distance too. He's the Scottish Xavi.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 12:36:52 AM »
I think he had a Scholes-like vibe going on today.  He was much more effective in the middle than he was against  Burnley a couple of weeks ago out wide.  Exciting.

My thoughts exactly. Still worried about his size.

Offline stevenjos

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 12:41:53 AM »
everyone ok? one pass and hes better than our best player of the past 2 years? Can i have a smoke too??

Offline jembob

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 12:43:43 AM »
I've just watched today's goal for about the 100th time and it was superb. Bannan looked up and spotteg Albrighton before hitting the ball, and the finish was of the highest order. If this had of been a Scholes/Rooney, Lampard/Drogba or Gerard/Torres combination it would already be suggested as goal of the season. Great play all around.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 12:44:18 AM »
everyone ok? one pass and hes better than our best player of the past 2 years? Can i have a smoke too??

How about saying something positive for a change? Like well done to a youngster who looks like he might become a star.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 12:48:35 AM »
Not too many people saying he is too lightweight now. The kid has the talent to be a class act and he makes us much better to watch. 

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 12:50:57 AM »
He was excellent today, did very well indeed.

Let's not get carreid away, though. He's probably not going to be the new James Milner. There's lots of points between being the new Steve Sidwell and the new James Milner, though, and he will almost certainly be somewhere along that scale.

In his last game prior to today, I thought he got knocked off the ball far too easily, as he has done frequently in his appearances for us.

Great performance today, excellent stuff, but let's remember, he's got a long, long way to go.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 01:02:44 AM »
From what I saw today he hasn't got the engine of Milner but has the poise and elegance of Sid. Seemed to be able to create space where there wasn't any and play excellent balls to his own players. He does intelligent stuff like play the easy ball, but makes himself available for the return.
It is very early days, but I liked what I saw from him today.   

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 01:37:59 AM »
easy lads - at home to Burnley two weeks ago people were saying he was out of his depth.

I thought he was a bit quieter in the second half today and he is a bit lightweight in midfield but a cracking player on the ball. Well able to turn with the ball, run with it and pass it short or long. Lets just see how he develops.

I was seriously impressed with Clark when he came on. Feisty in the tackle and tidy on the ball. He already looks a far superior midfielder to Sidwell and looks a cracking option for centre midfield.

Albrighton had a fine game again today on the wing.

Three new options anyway. The fonz was pretty decent I thought in the first half but his confidence was gone by the time the third chance came his way. He got into great positions and he will get more chances against Blackpool.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 01:59:03 AM »
I think Albrighton could move inside and make a good centre-midfielder ala Milner.

Milner never was, or will be a natural winger.  He has unbelievable energy and power but doesn't possess immense pace over 5 yards or enough tricks to go round people.  His crossing hit the first man more often than it's intended target.  Milner is much more suited to central positions.

On the flip-side Albrighton isn't that powerful but has that nippy low centre of gravity that many wingers have.  He is also an excellent crosser of the ball.  I think we should keep him where he is.

Besides we don't want anything to slow down the bannan bandwagon (winky thing).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 03:13:33 AM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 03:12:34 AM »
Whoever mentioned Scholes was right, his vision for a pass was outstanding. Stenjos says one pass, because he didn’t watch the game. Bannan played a number of excellent balls through to our widemen that the vast majority of our squad just would not be able to do. 

He wasn’t light weight at all today, as he’s a total pest off the ball and won more than his fair share of tackles. With Clacker backing him up, we looked more than up for the physical aspect. He was unlucky with a volley and his assist for Albrighton was simply world class. While I’m confident he is left footed, I have to say that I wouldn’t want to bet my house on that fact!

Vision, tempo, pace, skill on the ball, passing, shooting- the kid has the lot. He showed it today and I’m sure given experience he’ll be ale to show it on a regular basis. Albrighton made the leap with ease, while this boy is better than the vast majority of dross in the league.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 08:09:07 AM »
Being left footed he gives us that balance in mdfield we've not had since Gareth Barry, he will have a bit to prove to Blackpool as he didn't always get in there side last year.

Houllier deserves credit for giving him his chance and I hope he takes it.

I had heard about his pass for the goal before I saw it and whilst it was a good pass we'd be slaughtering Warnock if he'd misjudged it like the Fulham full back had.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal