collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Barry Bannan - The New James Milner?  (Read 25188 times)

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

Barry Bannan - The New James Milner?
« on: November 06, 2010, 07:36:22 PM »
He seems to have all the attributes that made James Milner such a good centre-midfielder for us.

OK, so he's not quite at Milners standards yet, but he seems to have everything Milner had, and top centre-midfielders should: he wants the ball and will come and get it, run (fairly quick and good stamina), dribble, pass, shoot, tackle (well, he puts himself in front of the opposition - which is good enough).

We've seen with Albrighton what a run of games can do for you so let's hope Barry can have a few games in a row, that include important matches against Man Utd, Arsenal and Blues in the Cup, and see if he can live up to the reputation and hype that he seems to be developing for himself.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Barry Bannan - The New James Milner?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 07:41:11 PM »
I think he's a very different player. Much more creative and, dare I say it, technically gifted than Milner, who is more of an all-rounder with a harder shot and more selfless tactical work for the team. It's true, though, that wee Barry wins the ball more than you'd think given his size. I think the two players would have played brilliantly in midfield together - alongside a Delph, an NRC or a Petrov - but that's obviously impossible.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:51:39 PM »
I think he's a great player. As is Albrighton.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
No.

He will be better. As Monty says above he is far more technically gifted than Milner. In that he's a bit like Ireland but what he shares with Milner and not Ireland is a never say die attitude and a prodigious work rate. He's also very self confident and I don't think he'll need much to have his confidence boosted but even then he's found a manager who rates him.

I think it augers well for the future for him. Even now he's looking likely to get in for the next Scotland game and I really hope he shines so we are spared Scott Brown or Lee McCullogh in future qualifiers.

EDIT: And from a Villa perspective it's good too. With Delph and potentially Gardner for the future we could have a great footballing midfield forthcoming.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:56:09 PM by TheSandman »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 07:55:53 PM »
I think Albrighton could move inside and make a good centre-midfielder ala Milner.

Love Bannan, though, hope he makes it.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 07:58:05 PM »
was excellent today, looks like he's going to be very good for us.

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 08:00:01 PM »
I think Albrighton could move inside and make a good centre-midfielder ala Milner.

Love Bannan, though, hope he makes it.

I'd prefer to keep Albrighton as a wide forward, he really plays the position well and beats full backs with prodigious ease.

I agree Sandman, and I also think that Ireland's best position might well prove to be as more of an attacking midfielder than an off-the-front forward, so the future of our midfield is looking pretty good - even without potential new signings!

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 08:16:20 PM »
Bannan is a fantastic prospect.  Didn't see today's game but I thought we looked a far better side when he came on last week.  He seems to want the ball constantly and didn't seem overawed by the occasion, which might happen to a young kid playing in a derby game.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 08:26:32 PM »
If we are comparing the youthful players with people who went to Man Citeh.

Ciaran Clark - The new Gareth Barry?

A defender moved into midfield who has had two good games in that position and appears composed on the ball.

Offline 1_Pablo_Angel

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 08:30:32 PM »
If I was to over simplify, I'd describe Bannan as a skill monster and Milner as an engine.

I tell you what though, it's great to watch a Villa player with the vision and technical ability of wee Barry for a change. Exciting player.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 08:33:30 PM »
I think he had a Scholes-like vibe going on today.  He was much more effective in the middle than he was against  Burnley a couple of weeks ago out wide.  Exciting.

Albrighton was also brilliant today, his first finish and finish was amazing and (to extend the 90's theme) Berkamp-esque.

Online john2710

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 08:35:38 PM »
First saw Bannan in the Youth Cup Final when everyone was raving about Delfouneso and Forrester. For me he stood out like a beacon, composed and always looking for the ball.

It's very early days yet but I'd liken him to Cowans & I hope he has the same level of success. Despite the final result was hugely impressed with the 3 young lads today.

Offline Captain Trips

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 08:54:50 PM »
Just read this thread and was going to say he reminds me of Sid but blow me down I was beaten to it by John!! If he is as good as Cowans, younger Villan fans will be in for a treat :)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 09:38:03 PM »
From what people have said on here, and my limited viewings a midfield three of Bannan, Gardner and Delph would be an awesome and complementary combination. 

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 09:45:22 PM »
Clark, Bannan, Allbrighton and Delph: all tested at the first-team level and found to be up to it.
Fantastic.
If G Gardiner, Weimann, James Collins Jnr and Forrester can get there too, even better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal