collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier slams 'stupid' Carew!  (Read 37497 times)

Offline cheltenhamlion

Re: Houllier slams 'stupid' Carew!
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2010, 01:34:44 PM »
Carew has been a lazy bastard at times this year but Houllier's increasing desire to have a pop at all and sundry is starting to wear a bit thin.

I have had very little positive that he has to say about anyone at the club other than Heskey.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
This time next year I think we'll see a very different Villa.

We may, but is that a good thing?

OK, results so far this season have been poor, but to me we still have a good squad to choose from with the ability to make top 6 again.  So there's a lot here to work with, even if there is a need to shift some out.  What I'd like to bee is maybe 4 player brought in, who would be starters, in the right positions some of the 'deadwood' is moved on. 

I'm just concerned about going backwards if we abandon what and who got us to a regular 6th position.  I'd like to see us build on that as opposed to starting again.

whether people like Houllier or not, he does things his way, and undeniably he has won trophies wherever he has been. I don't need the players to like the manager. I want the players to respect the manager's role, and the decisions he has to make. GH will rotate the squad and we likely not in his reign see a regular line up. The players now, and in the future will need to get used to that. Additionally they need to get out of the comfort zone many were in under MON and realize that we can't just accept nearly getting there. That it will take something extra to turn semi-finals and final appearances to something more meaningful.

GH is going to rub a lot of people the wrong way, but at the end of the day I want trophies more than anything else. If going backwards this year "positionally" means the future we have stronger and better players, then I will take that. I expect a clearout of a number of under performers and kids given a chance. I'll take a hungry Bannan or Clark over a Sidwell or Carew any day of the week. If that equals going backwards in the short term then so be it.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2010, 01:46:59 PM »
How do you define a legend? Ian Taylor is one for me but most of the players who have played for the last 10 years or so would not make it to the "Legend" status. I think it would be best for everyone if Carew left as he has not done enough for some time for me.

I think in order to be classed as a Legend it's a mix of what you do for the club with how you leave and then your attitude afterwards.  For me, of the recent batch that would be Taylor, Mellberg and Laursen.

Some, and Platt springs to mind, could have been if they were just a bit more respectful after leaving. 

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »

OK, results so far this season have been poor, but to me we still have a good squad to choose from with the ability to make top 6 again.  So there's a lot here to work with, even if there is a need to shift some out.  What I'd like to bee is maybe 4 player brought in, who would be starters, in the right positions some of the 'deadwood' is moved on. 

I'm just concerned about going backwards if we abandon what and who got us to a regular 6th position.  I'd like to see us build on that as opposed to starting again.

whether people like Houllier or not, he does things his way, and undeniably he has won trophies wherever he has been. I don't need the players to like the manager. I want the players to respect the manager's role, and the decisions he has to make. GH will rotate the squad and we likely not in his reign see a regular line up. The players now, and in the future will need to get used to that. Additionally they need to get out of the comfort zone many were in under MON and realize that we can't just accept nearly getting there. That it will take something extra to turn semi-finals and final appearances to something more meaningful.

GH is going to rub a lot of people the wrong way, but at the end of the day I want trophies more than anything else. If going backwards this year "positionally" means the future we have stronger and better players, then I will take that. I expect a clearout of a number of under performers and kids given a chance. I'll take a hungry Bannan or Clark over a Sidwell or Carew any day of the week. If that equals going backwards in the short term then so be it.

I've got no issue with taking a step back in order to take two forward, but I just don't think that needs to be all that big a step.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2010, 01:51:35 PM »
Really though it wouldn't matter who came in after MON abandoned ship, they would have had to re-build all over again. All managers want to put their own mark on a team. Only the ones who are willing to adapt and are good enough will remain.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »

I've got no issue with taking a step back in order to take two forward, but I just don't think that needs to be all that big a step.

Neither do I. I think it is a really fine line between where we are right now, and where we could be with some better luck with injuries, some better concentration at the end of games, and with a manager who would have had the chance to bring in his own players had the opportunity presented itself. Despite everything we are only a few points off 5th spot which is as bizarre as it is indicative of the mediocrity of the PL this season.

Offline Merv

« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2010, 02:08:28 PM »

Er.... me too, John. I think something got lost in translation there. I was referring to moving on from the MON era, which I think will be quick and easy to do with a handful of new signings in the next year and some senior departures - most of those fairly obvious, the likes of Carew, Heskey (despite improved form we still must move him on in the summer), Sidwell, Beye, possibly Davies.

The framework is there, I agree. But what I was saying was Houllier has already done things with this squad that O'Neill would never have done, and, for some players, it must feel like a complete breath of fresh air.

Offline eastie

« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2010, 02:33:24 PM »
The football under o neill was awful to watch- take milner out of last seasons team and we would have been mid table - o neill had 4 yrs to buy a decent striker and multi millions to spend and he failed to address it.

Give houllier a yr to get things sorted and then I believe we will see a passing attractive style of football and most of all a winning team.

O neill hardly showed his face at bodymoor and the players now have a manager who will work tirelessly at the club - in his biography he often spent 16 hrs a day on club work and he is a breath of fresh air.

Good riddance to Carew, sidwell, davies and let's move on with players who fight for their place and put Aston villa first.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:35:30 PM by east19 »

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2010, 02:45:01 PM »

whether people like Houllier or not, he does things his way, and undeniably he has won trophies wherever he has been. I don't need the players to like the manager.

I know it's not the central point but I don't remember Houllier winning anything with the French national team, with Cantona, Ginola, M 'lazy' Desailly, L Blanc, J-P Papin, P Le Guen et al.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2010, 05:53:11 PM »
On a side note, I liked what GH said in the interview when he said "[Carew] should look at the facts. How many games has he played and how many goals have we scored when he's been playing?". It's a throw-away remark, but I like that he said "how many goals have we scored" rather than "how many goals has he scored"; the idea that it's not just the strikers who have to contribute in terms of goals, but that roles around the pitch are fluid and we expect a good contribution from all our attacking players in terms of both goals and assisting, a level of understanding of the game that I'm not totally sure MON possesses in absolute spades.

I have had very little positive that he has to say about anyone at the club other than Heskey.

NRC, Petrov, Gabby, Bannan, Albrighton, Delfouneso, Collins, Clark, Ashley Young, Luke Young and even Sidwell have all been publicly praised to a greater or lesser degree along with Heskey. He's criticised Ireland in terms that were massively exaggerated by others in my view, and now Carew has deservedly been the object of criticism. To be honest, if he'd tried to defend Carew I wouldn't have believed him and would have criticised him for wrapping up players in cotton wool

Offline RogerS

« Reply #145 on: November 08, 2010, 06:30:17 PM »

To use something of an oft used cliche, TV...'nail on head'.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #146 on: November 08, 2010, 10:11:46 PM »

whether people like Houllier or not, he does things his way, and undeniably he has won trophies wherever he has been. I don't need the players to like the manager.

I know it's not the central point but I don't remember Houllier winning anything with the French national team, with Cantona, Ginola, M 'lazy' Desailly, L Blanc, J-P Papin, P Le Guen et al.

It is a very select group that have won anything at international level. Needless to say, I was referring to his domestic achievements only which quite frankly is all that matters. Scolari being a World Cup winner didn't help him at Chelsea, whereas Hiddink who's similarily won nothing internationally did the business without too much bother.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2010, 10:18:41 PM »
How do you define a legend? Ian Taylor is one for me but most of the players who have played for the last 10 years or so would not make it to the "Legend" status. I think it would be best for everyone if Carew left as he has not done enough for some time for me.

I think in order to be classed as a Legend it's a mix of what you do for the club with how you leave and then your attitude afterwards.  For me, of the recent batch that would be Taylor, Mellberg and Laursen.

Some, and Platt springs to mind, could have been if they were just a bit more respectful after leaving. 
Taylor, Mellberg and Laursen weren't fit to lace Platt's boots as Villa players.

If we keep labeling half decent players like the former 3 as legends then eventually that word will start to lose it's impact. They're no more Villa legends than I am.

Offline WA Villan

« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2010, 11:24:07 PM »
Mon had a scrap with NRC, pissed off, L. Young, Sorenson, Barry and probably Milner considering he only stayed 2 seasons. Was outspoken about the fans on how we should acknowledge his genious. Brought in some absolute crap with more money than any other manager had, but did no more than John Gregory / Brian Little. If GH carries on and tells it how it is with some of these players, I take my hat off to him. Carew has been crap, he scored a few goals, hugged a few ball boys and he gets legendary status ( in his own little mind). GH will bring a few players in, bring a few more of the kids in and we will be a lot better off and playing better football.

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2010, 01:04:53 AM »
Is that all Houllier does is run to the media about his players? You hardly ever see Wenger or Fergie calling their players stupid etc.

It's either that or he's talking about the days back at Liverpool. He also needs to move fucking on and manage Aston Villa, and forget about those scousers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal