collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:47:46 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 09:40:54 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:47:46 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 09:40:54 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier slams 'stupid' Carew!  (Read 37492 times)

Offline Villa'Zawg

Re: Houllier slams 'stupid' Carew!
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2010, 10:35:34 AM »
The Times say Carew stated that 'Houllier was under prepared for the role when he joined Villa'
Is that true?

Carew snapped: “I don’t know if he has a problem with me but if he does then he should talk to me about it.

“Prove myself? There’s a reason why the fans are singing my name. I have been important and involved and scored goals.

“Houllier has big shoes to fill. He has more to prove than many others in the club.

“The manager said to the players that we should keep things internal and not in the media. He broke his own rule and it annoys me.

“If he thinks I should fight for a new contract with the club he should take it up with me.

“I don’t think the fans or the players think much of it either.

“It requires a mutual respect. I am puzzled and offended. He should have been here a little longer before he started making demands.”

When Houllier arrived at Villa Park, he annoyed supporters by suggesting that the club were used to a mid-table position despite the fact that O’Neill had led the team to three successive top-six places.

His comments riled Carew too. The forward, whose deal runs out next summer, added: “I don’t know if Houllier was poorly prepared for Villa when he took over. Maybe he was.

“A lot has changed in recent years, especially since Ashley Young and I got to the club.

“Since then several more players have come and we are all very involved in the success Villa have had.

“We have finished sixth three seasons in a row and been in a cup final.

“Therefore, I think Houllier insults both me and the fans when he says things like that.”

The People - Clicky

Interesting snippet at the end of the article...

Houllier, who has been under fire from supporters for his negative tactics, is hiring former Newcastle United talent-spotter Jeff Vetere as his new chief scout.

Vetere was part of the controversial ‘Cockney Mafia’ at the Toon when he worked closely with Dennis Wise under Mike Ashley’s control.

Vetere brought in players for the Geordies during Kevin Keegan’s reign and has previously worked for Charlton.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:38:00 AM by Villadawg »

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2010, 10:37:40 AM »
I dont care about who said what, and whether Carew can still do a job for us isnt the point.

Who else would like to get back to the days when players who are employed and very well remunerated by clubs did as they were told. Get back to the days where what the team manager says is what goes.

Offline Namaste

« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2010, 11:16:41 AM »
Carew won't play for us again it seems!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2010, 11:29:36 AM »
Sometimes I want to wake up and it's July 1st next year. As much as I loved a lot of the MON era, we need to broom it away now, and some of the players that have stayed past their welcome with it.

Offline Caiphus

« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2010, 11:41:18 AM »
Would he even pass a physical to get rid of him in Jan for cash?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2010, 11:54:59 AM »
One of my main concerns when GH was appointed was remembering reading Robbie Fowlers book, Houllier doesn't exactly come across as someone players get on with. If he thinks Ireland and Carew needed a kick up the arse, fine - but I think it should be in private and not through the media.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2010, 11:56:07 AM »
It gets in the press and twisted even if it's done in private.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2010, 11:59:13 AM »
Too many of M'On's signings are no longer good enough for us, Davies, Petrov, Sidwell, Heskey and arguably Reo Coker are all redundant for me once Delph, Gabby, Weiman and a few new signings enter the fray post January and with the emergence of Clark, Bannan, Albrighton etc.  Friedel wont go on forever either and I dont think GH will put up with Dunne for much longer the way he is playing.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2010, 12:04:56 PM »
I like Dunne but for me Collins and Cuellar should be the partnership.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2010, 12:08:07 PM »
Sometimes I want to wake up and it's July 1st next year. As much as I loved a lot of the MON era, we need to broom it away now, and some of the players that have stayed past their welcome with it.

I'm afraid the 'Ghost of Mon' isn't going to be that easy to exorcise, a few new faces in Jan isn't going to do it. The type of culture he generated will I'd guess be hard to remove, most everyone will be looking over their shoulder all the time to justify themselves rather than impress others.
Houllier has a hard job on his hands and its not helped by the worst injury list for some years, not helped of course by what has become evident as a poorly built and substandard squad, once the first 11 choices are gone.
Its not just the playing staff either there's an undercurrent within the fan base, even General K has made some change to the style of his thread, especially on here, and I'd guess even the staff at VP have been affected.
Its a time of change and I admit to having some concerns as GH isn't the most dynamic communicators even if he is quite eloquent and knowledgeable and always comes over well, he rarely looks to be an earth mover. Randy similarly. He may be making huge moves behind the scenes on the quiet but the fact remains he was caught out somewhat by that conniving previous manager, did take some time to find an alternative and has never really refuted he hasn't stopped or at least dramatically cut back on transfer funds.
There's plenty of uncertainty, and its not aided by the recent confusion of various 'stars'  and their not being offered or signing new contracts. Carew included.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2010, 12:17:03 PM »
As a complete aside, I really hate to see people - especially players - listing appearing in a cup semi fina/final as defining success. Winning trophies is success.

Offline Merv

« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2010, 12:36:46 PM »
I don't agree with that (sfx412). I think we can move on fairly quickly from the MON era and already are, in a way. Overlooked and ignored players are now getting a chance in the side and the culture has already started to change; think about MON's time and how all of us on here could log on and predict his Saturday afternoon team days in advance - and nail it. Our last two matches, Houllier has surprised me completely with his starting line-up and use of players.

What he needs is a couple of transfer windows and I think we'll see changes - some new players in, but most importantly, some 'big' names out. Those synonymous with O'Neill will leave - Carew could be the first - and gradually things will move on, and Houllier will make his own team.

This time next year I think we'll see a very different Villa.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2010, 12:46:12 PM »
i think we all knew this was coming
GH doesn't rate Big john
that's why he was so keen to swap him with Baros(who we were keen to get rid of)

I agree Carew hasn't done enough to warrant a new contract
I am a big fan of his when he is 'up for it'/on fire' but i haven't seen that for a while from him

"john carew
Carew
it's now time to say Adieu
You're Agent will do the do
and you'll move to Crewe"

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »
This time next year I think we'll see a very different Villa.

We may, but is that a good thing?

OK, results so far this season have been poor, but to me we still have a good squad to choose from with the ability to make top 6 again.  So there's a lot here to work with, even if there is a need to shift some out.  What I'd like to bee is maybe 4 player brought in, who would be starters, in the right positions some of the 'deadwood' is moved on. 

I'm just concerned about going backwards if we abandon what and who got us to a regular 6th position.  I'd like to see us build on that as opposed to starting again.

Offline Fred

« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2010, 01:22:47 PM »
How do you define a legend? Ian Taylor is one for me but most of the players who have played for the last 10 years or so would not make it to the "Legend" status. I think it would be best for everyone if Carew left as he has not done enough for some time for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal