collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier slams 'stupid' Carew!  (Read 37521 times)

Offline eastie

Houllier slams 'stupid' Carew!
« on: November 06, 2010, 06:51:20 PM »
Just been reading on the mirror website there seems a war of words between gerard and Carew and both criticising each other publicly - can't paste the article because I'm on iPod but houllier lauched his blast at Carew after today's game in his press conference, referring to him being stupid and living in the past.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Houllier slams 'stupid' Carew!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 06:54:44 PM »
Really? Can't imagine him featuring much again if true.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 06:55:42 PM »

Offline supertom

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 06:56:30 PM »
Just read that "article."

Content aside, it was one of the most appallingly written things I've seen in ages.
Whether it was true or not, who knows? But yes, Carew does need to up his game for sure.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 06:56:59 PM »
Good riddance to what has become bad rubbish.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 06:58:12 PM »
I'm with Gerard on this one. Methinks Carew's days are numbered.

Offline Yossarian

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 06:58:53 PM »
I blame MON

Offline Ger Regan

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 07:00:52 PM »
Indeed. Looking at it, he's very stupid, and now (barring injuries) don't want him playing for the villa any more. If he thinks that he doesn't need to earn a new deal after the rubbish he's produced over the last year or so, then he's absolutely deluded

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 07:01:28 PM »

Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier turned on Norwegian striker John Carew by labelling the player 'stupid' after their 1-1 draw at Fulham.

Carew had been set to deputise for injured Emile Heskey against Fulham but he damaged a calf muscle in training and missed out.

Fulham 1-1 Aston Villa: Late Hangeland header denies Houllier victory   

But Carew, who is out of contract at the end of the season, took offence to Houllier's earlier remarks about him taking the chance to earn a new deal.

Houllier is reported to have said: "John is at the end of his contract and it is an opportunity to express what he wants - whether he wants to stay at the club or whether he wants to go somewhere else."

But an angry Carew, 31, hit back today by claiming that Houllier had demonstrated a lack of respect.

"If he wants me to fight for a contract, he should speak to me directly and not through the media," said Carew in VG.

"This is disrespectful to me and to the fans who sing my name week in week out."

In a public spat that overshadowed Villa's draw at Craven Cottage, Houllier denied he had been respectful to Carew but labelled him as being "stupid" and "living in the past".

"I was told about his comments," said Houllier. "I think he is stupid. How can he say that? I didn't lack respect to him or anybody.

"Somebody asked me if it was a good chance for him and I said yes. What do you want me to say? No? I think John is living in the past at the moment.

"He should look at the figures, how long has he played and how many goals have we scored when he has been playing. I didn't lack respect to him but in doing that, he is lacking respect to me.

"I don't question his ability. I am not living in the past. We have been very unlucky with him with injury and illness. I know his ability.

"If he thinks that me saying yes is lacking respect, then I am not going to say sorry. I feel he should focus on the games, we are in difficulty at the moment. We don't get enough points."

Villa should beaten Fulham after taking a 42nd minute lead through Marc Albrighton. But they squandered numerous chances before Fulham defender Brede Hangeland scored a last-gasp equaliser.

"The overall performance was good," added Houllier. "We sometimes played very good football.

"I told the boys I am extremely unhappy with the result but the performance was outstanding in terms of effort and discipline and we had enough chances to seal the game.

"The only thing we could blame ourselves for was that we had the chances to finish it off."

But Houllier, already without Carew and Heskey, will not be without captain Nigel Reo-Coker for at least three weeks with a knee injury collected in a clash with Jonathan Greening.

"I don't think Nigel will be able to play for another two or three weeks minimum," said Houllier. "It is a knee injury. There was a challenge with Jonathan Greening.

"Jonathan fell on his ankle and he twisted his knee. It is very unfortunate. It is am medial ligament injury and we need to know the gravity of it is."

Fulham boss Mark Hughes was relieved his side managed to steal a point from the game.

"In the first-half I thought we edged the better chances," said Hughes. "I was disappointed to concede just before half-time and in the second-half, Villa were able to get people behind the ball and play on the counter and that was always a worry for us.

"But we kept on going and doing the right things. We didn't ask enough questions in the second-half, in terms of balls into the box, but the one ball we did produce brought us the goal and we are thankful for that.

"At that late stage you are thinking the game is lost and it has gone beyond you. We got something out of the game so we are pleased.

"We have got to be pleased with the point."

But the return of striker Andrew Johnson, out of the game for 13 months with groin and knee injuries, was a boost for Hughes.

He had a gilt-edged chance to score after coming on as a second-half substitute but Villa keeper Brad Friedel won the one-on-one contest nine minutes from time.

"Andrew looked bright," added Hughes. "I just felt we needed to stretch the game. We kept going and that is the positive we will take from it.

"But Andrew showed once again he still has that awareness and I am sure he was disappointed not to convert his chance. But credit to Brad who came out very quickly and closed his angle down. It was good play all round."

Offline Linus

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 07:07:42 PM »
I'm beginning to dislike this Houllier fellow.

Offline Ger Regan

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 07:09:57 PM »
I'm beginning to dislike this Houllier fellow.
For telling a few home truths to and vastly under-performing, highly paid player?

Offline Linus

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 07:11:06 PM »
Or using the media to do his dirty work for him...

Offline Ger Regan

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 07:13:11 PM »
Or using the media to do his dirty work for him...
So it's fine for carew to do it then? He openly challenged the manager, which should never be allowed to happen. The only person I'm beginning to dislike is Carew.

Offline eastie

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »
It's no coincidence that Carew has moved to so many clubs in his career - he's been a decent signing for us but I won't be sorry to see him go.

Offline achilles

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 07:21:10 PM »
How many times do we see this, a player forcing an issue just so he has an excuse to leave!

If he wants to leave so be it!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal