collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reo-coker injury- ligament damage!  (Read 7903 times)

Offline Rancid custard

Re: Reo-coker injury- ligament damage!
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 06:31:20 PM »
The only positives about our injury list are that a) youngsters get a chance and b) we're unlikely to burn out in the way we normally do. In fact, I would expect us to do a John Gregory style finish to the season (hang around in mid table most season, then put a run of games together at the end of the season when it doesn't really matter and end up finishing top 8). Edit: that's supposed to read top 8, not some orange dude with sunglasses!

Everton did it last season, and we did it in MON's first season. A fit and raring to go Petrov, Delph, NRC, plus Gabby and Heskey, all coming back after xmas, should give us a strong impetus. Just need to make sure we keep things ticking over in the meantime.

Agree with this. Bannan, Clark and the Fonz could do well with that hunger of youth. Maybe Gary G will get a look in too. I'd love us to not have that Jan - march stutter we've had over the last few seasons.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »
I agree with the sentiments regarding the youth, all except Delfouneso, I  really think he is way out of his depth.  Some pointed out it was his 1st Prem start but it was Bannans too.  Delfouneso has played a lot more than Bannan in the 1st team and there was no comparison.  Clark, Delph, Albrighton and Bannan look like great players to have around, hopefully we can add to their undoubted talents in January.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 09:34:28 PM »
I don't agree with you on Delfouneso at all, he got into some great positions, was composed on the ball, the only thing he did wrong was not hit the target.
If he would have scored I don't think you'd be saying the same thing.

I think Delfouneso and Bannan are going to get better and better with a good run in the team.

Look at Bannan, after Burnley I thought he was too lightweight and not ready, but yesturday he was superb, hopefully Delboy gets a hatrick against Blackpool.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 09:52:12 PM »
Isn't possession football supposed to demand less fitness?  If so why the need to increase fitness levels from MON kick and rush football (442), which people previously claimed put unreasonable demands on certain players (petrov for example)?

Actually it demands more - a lot more. When you play possession football, you're always trying to find team-mates in space, and to get space you have to be constantly moving off the ball. This was a huge part of the Total Football innovation and of its success - Ajax were by far the fittest team in Europe when they were dominant in the early '70s (some said a little too fit, in fact, and allegations about doping were never far away), and the main influence the Dutch had on the Brazilians they dominated in the 2-0 win in '74 was the fitness levels. To keep the ball and be penetrative you have to be constantly on the move, and our players aren't used to those levels of fitness.
Yes pass and move teams are fitter. Last season when Barca put Arsenal  away  by making them look complete numpty's in the CL match stats showed that Barca midfielders  all averaged over 10K   whilst Arsenal were under 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal