collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bannan To Albrighton...  (Read 7377 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Bannan To Albrighton...
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 09:47:44 PM »

It was'nt only that pass that impressed me today.Always looking for the short pass, and more importantly the return.Looks a very good footballer.Heard a lot of good things about him, and a lot of negative comments as well.

Would definately play him on wens, although he could be a difficult player to find a place for because of his size.I hope players like him succeed tbh.
It would be good if you explained the two comments in bold; slightly contentious perhaps?

Offline rutski

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 10:00:49 PM »
i love the fact our youth is playing a part in games that arent winning, although i am on the side of enthusiasm for this, our best players will fuck off very sharpish if this continues and a stream of top quality renowned players do not come in. I feel this needs a thread of its own but let it ride on here!

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »

EffDee, what i meant was a midfield of Bannan, Albrighton, Downing and Young, might be a bit lightweight and on the small side.

Much as i like players like Bannan, and the others named above, you can probably only play 3 max in a teasm, otherwise teams would just bully them.

Saying that, and not comparing, but Bannan has a bit of the Xabi about him.If he strengtens up, and learns how to keep the ball , then we could have a very, very good player.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 04:54:01 PM »
BLF, why only four midfielders there? Surely you don't think we should play 4-4-2, especially as it's clearly not the best system for getting the best out of our best players?

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 04:59:03 PM »

No Monty, i like the 4-5-1 system, with 2 holding midfielders, and 3 attacking.

Yday we played with Bannan as one of the holding midfielders, we can get away with that against Fulham, and prob Bpool as well, but i don't think we will against Ure, Chelsk etc.If you play Bannan against them, you would probably need a Des Bremner kind of wide player to compensate.

Offline Monty

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 05:03:52 PM »
I think we've got a chance to play more well-rounded football than splitting the midfield into two defending and three attacking. Considering our future options with players like Delph and Gardner Jr, who are brilliant all-rounders in the midfield, and also that Bannan is an 'absolute pest' off the ball (as Ads memorably described him), I think we can play a genuine 4-3-3 system, with three midfielders genuinely interchanging, attacking and defending between them, who know each others' games inside-out and who play for each other. Because we have these players from a young age with the time to nurture them together, we have a chance to achieve this style, which is basically a modern version of the old way of playing 4-4-2 with two box-to-box players - you have to play three midfielders these days, but the idea is the same.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 06:06:39 PM »
If you went with the 4-3-3 described above how would the front three operate?
A big guy in the middle and two more creative "buzzing" players either side?  A fox in the box?

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 04:27:15 PM »
Bannan and Albrighton are quality
They both have a lot to learn ,but they are both very promising
it bodes well for our future to have such quality young lads coming through

Offline sfx412

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 05:13:38 PM »
A magnificent moment. 

Here's hoping we can build a top, top Villa side around this crop of youngsters - what a dream it would be.

Certainly brought back happy memories of Sid Cowans for me, no question. Here's hoping he's one to go on and on and not stop dead and reverse as seems the want with most Villa youth talent.

Offline Monty

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 05:59:55 PM »
If you went with the 4-3-3 described above how would the front three operate?
A big guy in the middle and two more creative "buzzing" players either side?  A fox in the box?

More along the lines of total football - or, for a less far-fetched comparison, the Man Utd system when they won the CL. Players who have played together for a long enough time, who know each others' games well enough so that they can interchange roles as well as positions in the midfield. Now, this is obviously within reason - you don't want a situation where Delph and Gary Gardner are in the box and Bannan is the sole holding player! - but if you start with this general principle and work with it, you get a very mobile midfield which is very difficult to play against. Basically, everyone attacks and everyone defends - and I think this is GH's philosophy, judging especially by his comments on Ireland.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 06:17:43 PM »
Ireland looked real quality when he came on

Yes he did, it's a shame some of his passes did'nt help us go another goal up. We've got a heck of a player there.

As for Bannan, what i liked about him and Clark was they looked very comfortable on the ball, it was great to watch. Let's hope they keep it up.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 08:08:12 PM »
I'm surprised there has been so little on THAT ball in the media.

If it was a Spurs or cock four player they would be creaming their knackers.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 08:42:26 PM »
To be honest what impressed me most about that goal was the fact that Albrighton took the ball at full tilt, and still managed to turn the corner.  I'd have spread stud marks and divots up the side of the stands.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal