collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 11:45:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: If you ran the game...  (Read 9950 times)

Offline Rancid custard

If you ran the game...
« on: November 06, 2010, 12:12:16 PM »
Reading the 39th game thread has given me an idea. If you were to Start the beautiful game all over again as a club or part of the new F.A. how would you do it? What are the abiding rules that you would set That could never be broken or reneged on?

For me there would be Goal line technology, a co-op across the leagues of a set ticket price never to change with some kind of profit participation so clubs don't go into administration, which is closely regulated by independent accountants, A wage cap per league with no player at top level earning more than 20k per week, Terracing returns and agents are done away with.

Over to you.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: If you ran the game...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 12:42:20 PM »
I don't think set ticket prices would work especially well unless you qualify it. For example, if it cost £10 to go and see both Chelsea and Barnet, you'd have a massive waiting list to see Chelsea and nobody would bother to go and see Barnet because the worth isn't the same. If you had a set ticket price per league it might work better.

As for agents, I do agree for the main part they seem like scum. But what happens if you're a player who doesn't have the brass neck to demand stuff from your club? You'll end up on shitty wages for the rest of your career while the club can do what they like. An independent arbiter, such as the PFA, could be the way forward. Agents were a good thing when they first arrived - read Colin Schindler's 'Fathers Sons and Football' for a shocking account of how footballers were treated up until the sixties by their clubs - but it's gone too far the other way because agents want to be rich, and they can only do that by making their clients rich.

I don't want to see terracing back. Not because of Hillsborough, but because it sucks.

My own personal wish is to do away with the massive hype that surrounds football these days. People are so impatient for success and they don't enjoy it when it comes. Players think they're untouchable and fans demand the manager's head if they don't get a sniff of a trophy in two years (six weeks if they're Geordies). I don't have a solution to this though, sorry.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 01:27:09 PM »
I think the thread title could be the title of a 10,000 word research thesis, but off the top of head I would:

(1) Bring the whole league pyramid under the auspices of one organisation with all TV money being pooled and distributed in a way that ends the massive disparity between the PL and the rest. 

(2) Ensure that a club's spending on wages is set at a fixed, sustainable percentage of turnover.  This spending would be vigorously audited and the punishment for transgressing stringent - relegation one division for a first offence, two division for a second offence, etc.

(3) The money put into a club by an owner to be at a maximum level for the division that the club is in.   All such money is an interest free loan that the club must repay within five years of the money being received.   Clubs can only take on long-term debt if it is used for improving the infrastructure, e.g. a new stand, training ground, etc.

(4) No clubs can be bought if the debt used to buy the club is then transferred to the the club's books, e.g. the Glazers. 

(5) No individual or holding company can own more than 49.9% of a club.  Compulsory supporter representative on club boards with full voting rights.

(6) Fixed squad size, with a minimum number of home-grown players, including two who must have come within the immediate geographical radius of where the club is based.   A maximum number of three non-EU players.

(7) The end of the transfer system.  A player is contracted to their club for the duration of their contract, at the end of which they can either renegotiate or find a new club.   Clubs will though receive financial compensation for players they have developed through their academy, at a level the reflects the division of the club at which they sign their first professional contract. 

(8 ) Clubs can set their own ticket prices, but a percentage of the match revenue to be shared with the away side, perhaps based on the size of the away support.   The fixture list published at the beginning of a season is a contract that a club has with its season ticket holders - the TV rights holder will financially compensate those who have bought season tickets for every match that is rescheduled.

(9) A Champions League open only to the Champions of the country, with TV money added to the pool detailed in (1).  All other European competitions revert to two-legged knock-out.

(10)  Goal-line technology for all international, European and top two division fixtures.   

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 01:28:15 PM »
i would revamp the champions league... rename it the champions cup, and make it a 2 legged knockout competition where you had to actually be champions to compete in it, just like the old days... none of this 4th placed rubbish being entered into it... i would also reduce the revenue given to clubs from this competition, which would stop it being the financial be all and end all to clubs and players...

regards tv money for all leagues, this would be paid to the league system, and we then distrubute it fairly amongst the whole game, not just the premier league... balances out the finances between the leagues, makes it impossible to give silly wages, etc...

would make a transfer and wage cap that all clubs had to adhere to.... and no extra "bonus's" or ways around it for the shifty bastard clubs...

all the problems in the leagues, throughout europe, are down to unfair financial elements... mainly the glass ceiling made of diamonds champions league "unofficial european super league"...

and i would shoot olivier holte, shaun custis and mick dennis...

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 02:07:09 PM »
I think the thread title could be the title of a 10,000 word research thesis, but off the top of head I would:

(1) Bring the whole league pyramid under the auspices of one organisation with all TV money being pooled and distributed in a way that ends the massive disparity between the PL and the rest.   

(5) No individual or holding company can own more than 49.9% of a club.  Compulsory supporter representative on club boards with full voting rights.

I particularly like the above.  I think fan representation on the board in line with the stated percentages will have a huge beneficial impact because ticket prices will be more "fan" focused removing a whole number of the games problems.  Also speculation (a la Hick and Gillett) will be a lot harder/likely.

My own rule/changes:

(a)  Fixed squad size and salary cap.  Any players brought through the youth system (which are eligible to play for an EU country) would be outside the salary cap.  Qualification for europe would also add a player (maybe two) to the maximum squad size.

(b)  In addition to your point (1) above, I would include the international team within the pyramid.  A significant portion of the TV money etc must be spent on youth coaching, school pitches, etc.

Great question by the way.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 11:21:47 PM »
Give away clubs a share of gate money, as per the McGregor Doctrine, established to help ensure healthy competition.
Any club going into administration to be relegated automatically.   
No more than three live TV games per weekend.
No fixture to be televised more than two years out of three.
Games which are to be moved for other reasons to be prioritised for live matches.
Any new grounds/stands built in the top divisions to be allowed to contain a standing area.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 11:41:24 PM »
Footballs made out of leather and a good weight.
Remove the Bosman ruling.
One TV game on a sunday and no more.
Offer back to UEFA 3 Champion League places.
Safe standing at grounds.
No ticket to cost more than £25.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 12:23:18 AM »
rename the game Footie, entrance to the ground only if wearing a jester hat and current replica shirt.award extra points for cheating, ban any talk of  pre sky football,astroturf  all playing surfaces, unlimited substitutions, divide the game into 4 quters to allow more advertising, play music for thow ins, corners and free kicks, sycronised dancing for goal celebrations, double the size of the goals, outlaw contact of any sort, put simon cowell in charge of the whole game, make all football grounds exactly the same, all referess should be employed by sky,

Offline Rich6by7

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 12:35:09 AM »
All teams that have changed their name to be forced to change back. So it'll be welcome back to Newton Heath, Dial Square, St Domingo's, Christ Church and our dear neighbours SHA. Aston Villa will then get the number 1 ball in the FA cup draw and the inevitable easy draw it entails.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 12:58:01 AM »
If I ran the game I would introduce a transfer and salary cap, so there would be a fair playing field.
Any club who went into adminstration would be relegated.
Away teams would receive 25% of gate receipts, but only if they sold their allocation of tickets.
Admission to each ground in each division would be the same (for season tickets and general admission).
Clubs would have to have kit sponsors for 3 years minimum and during this time could not change their home kit and only their away kit once.
The Champions League would become the European Cup again and only league winners and holders could qualify. Once knocked out that's it, you don't enter another competition.
The Cup Winners Cup would be reintroduced and the Uefa Cup would be a maximum of 4 teams per country and be a knock out competition.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »
A transfer cap is an interesting idea. 

Say £20m deficit (i.e. after any transfer income) in any season (i.e. two transfer windows).  If you're promoted then you're allowed £5m more.  Any unspent allocation can be carried over to the following season.

With a transfer cap AND wage cap the players power and the clubs ability to spend will greatly reduce.  Therefore it is likely that club owners could/would make more money.  There would therefore need to be some regulation that ensured that it is reinvested into the game. 

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 10:07:51 AM »
Remove the Bosman ruling.
How will that help anything?

Offline j66acd

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 11:05:49 AM »
Stoppage time wouldn't exist, do what they do in rugby where they stop the clock if there is a serious injury/incident and then play on from there. As soon as the clock reaches 90 minutes the team can carry on playing until the ball goes dead and then the final whistle goes.

Then hopefully this rule would stop wrecking my weekend.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »
Stoppage time wouldn't exist, do what they do in rugby where they stop the clock if there is a serious injury/incident and then play on from there. As soon as the clock reaches 90 minutes the team can carry on playing until the ball goes dead and then the final whistle goes.

Then hopefully this rule would stop wrecking my weekend.

I like your thinking, but in all seriousness I'm getting hugely fucked off by injury time randomness. It seems that first half injury time is added on again at the end of the game which leads to ridiculous amounts of injury time such as yesterday and last Sunday (and of course, the famous six minutes that appeared at Old Trafford). Statistically only about two thirds of a game is played anyway because the clock isn't stopped every time there's a throw in or a goal kick, so to add on five minutes of 'injury' time as a sop is pointless anyway.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 01:12:57 PM »
It seems that first half injury time is added on again at the end of the game which leads to ridiculous amounts of injury time such as yesterday and last Sunday (and of course, the famous six minutes that appeared at Old Trafford).
Is it not just that more 'stuff' happens in the second half? You tend not to see too many first half substitutions so there is less injury time there.

Two of the four minutes were down to the fact that there were four second half substitutions alone, without taking into account any other breaks in play.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal