collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The 39th Game  (Read 32504 times)

Offline BILL DE VALL

Re: The 39th Game
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 02:34:42 AM »
These people who put these things forward don't seem to get what football is all about
it's tribal
not a f*cking brand to be hawked about the world

bloody yanks ;)

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 02:57:49 AM »
It will not happen for a while because resistance is still strong, as evidenced by this thread, but it will happen if things progress as they have since the inception of the Premier League, other things being equal. 

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 05:49:32 AM »
If PL is deadly serious, they could set up a team of 25 players and they play all the home games aboard and away games in UK. So the world can watch Inter United V Arsenal aboard, and we can watch Aston Villa V Inter United at home.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2010, 07:57:47 AM »
No domestic competitive league game should ever be played outside the confines of the country. Not one single game, no experiment, no compromise, not now, not ever. We should not give an inch in any debate when anybody gives the merest suggestion that it should be considered. It should be made clear by all fans that if the competition is tainted in this way, there will be a full and complete boycott of attendance of all league games immediately.

The basic principles of the league competition were laid down in 1888.
Fans of all clubs should make it clear that we totally oppose this.
Fans of the original twelve founding members should be more vociferous in opposing this.
Fans of Aston Villa should be the most vociferous in opposing this.

THE SONS OF  MCGREGOR.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 08:48:07 AM »
The new Prince of Darkness,Richard Scudamore will be creaming himself that a chairman has supported this money making scheme.

I'm sick and tired of Sky,Talksport celebrating our English model of football like its something to behold. Last week my brother was in Berlin and went to a Hertha Berlin game,and though theyre in the second division now,there was around 40,000 there,it cost him 11 euros to get by paying on the day,you can drink in the stand,and he said the atmosphere was like nothing he's heard in England for years.

This is the module we should be aiming for,where clubs cannot be run with debt. Not seeking glory hunting supporters in the far east,for all they care the Premier only consists of 3 teams anyway.

The PL is so far away from this now.   I hate the way football has gone over the last 15 years. We have nothing to be proud of. Who the hell does he think he is - stick the 39th game where the sun doesn't shine.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »
The new Prince of Darkness,Richard Scudamore will be creaming himself that a chairman has supported this money making scheme.

I'm sick and tired of Sky,Talksport celebrating our English model of football like its something to behold. Last week my brother was in Berlin and went to a Hertha Berlin game,and though theyre in the second division now,there was around 40,000 there,it cost him 11 euros to get by paying on the day,you can drink in the stand,and he said the atmosphere was like nothing he's heard in England for years.

This is the module we should be aiming for,where clubs cannot be run with debt. Not seeking glory hunting supporters in the far east,for all they care the Premier only consists of 3 teams anyway.

The PL is so far away from this now.   I hate the way football has gone over the last 15 years. We have nothing to be proud of. Who the hell does he think he is - stick the 39th game where the sun doesn't shine.

The Premier League is streets behind the Bundesliga in every way (except they haven't got the Villa)... quality of games, stadia, atmosphere, competition and most importantly it's treatment and respect of the fans - even the armchair fans.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 09:53:18 AM »

amen to that...

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2010, 10:48:33 AM »
I look forward to the next Scouser supporters video as they try to get this latest joker out of their club. Do they ever learn?

As for the "39th game" (spit!), it just shows what a smokescreen this proposed "winter break" is. The big clubs want to take their circus to the Far East and they're looking for a window to do it.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2010, 11:17:44 AM »
The game will destroy itself...I really don't like where it's headed at the minute. If this 39th game crap sees the light of day it will take football that little bit further removed from what it should be.

You really do get more conservative as you get older don't you?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2010, 11:26:46 AM »

NO!!!

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2010, 11:33:36 AM »
It'll be the day I give up watching professional football.

Why ?

I don't understand why this suggestion meets with such opposition.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2010, 11:36:17 AM »

NO!!!

You must have started life as a conservative and have become  more progressive!

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2010, 11:47:02 AM »
It's just an utterly ludicrous proposal in its current form. How can you play one team 3 times a season and the other 18 twice? I think if the playing games abroad thing gets off the ground it'll have to be one of the standard 38 games abroad with rotation of when you lose a home game. Of course given the yo-yo nature of many clubs this presents its own difficulties.
To make it clear, I am utterly opposed to playing league games abroad but as was said in an issue of H&V once, if it makes money someone'll do it. I don't think the 39th game will happen though as I don't think even the Premier League would sabotage the integrity of their competition. Would they??

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2010, 11:52:29 AM »

Why ?

I don't understand why this suggestion meets with such opposition.

There speaks our contributor who is in thrall of American sports. 

American sports have long since sold out TV.  Indeed their formats were devised for TV companies and the advertisers.   

For many of us, who perhaps naively cling to the belief that football is put on for the benefit of the paying spectators of the clubs involved, the 39th game will be the final straw in conceding that our game has in fact sold out completely to TV.   

Offline woo

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2010, 11:52:40 AM »
It's just an utterly ludicrous proposal in its current form. How can you play one team 3 times a season and the other 18 twice? I think if the playing games abroad thing gets off the ground it'll have to be one of the standard 38 games abroad with rotation of when you lose a home game. Of course given the yo-yo nature of many clubs this presents its own difficulties.
To make it clear, I am utterly opposed to playing league games abroad but as was said in an issue of H&V once, if it makes money someone'll do it. I don't think the 39th game will happen though as I don't think even the Premier League would sabotage the integrity of their competition. Would they??

I really hope not. I dare say there are small parts of this some people might not mind too much, but that then starts a dangerous process where they are gradually converted to liking it. Even then the fact that ultimately the integrity of the competition would be compromised will surely win the argument.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal