collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier says Ireland Must Up His Game  (Read 47563 times)

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
Re: Houllier says Ireland Must Up His Game
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 01:16:38 PM »
I'm glad of the support he got when he warmed up, as I think he, of all players, needs to have the fans on his side. I'd worry if he became a target of those that love to boo

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 01:27:27 PM »
Playing him up front didn't really help Ireland on Wednesday, he just seems to float about at the moment without any real structure to his position.

I would play him in a midfield 3 and get him to break forward rather than this airy-fairy off the front man position than neither him nor Young seem to be mastering.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 01:32:21 PM »
One thing we really missed yesterday was getting players into the opposition box. Heskey was in their fighting alone against 5. He never stood a chance. Ireland would probably have been up there supporting but it's the rest of his game he needs to work at. At the moment he's a passenger.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 01:33:29 PM »
Eventually I'd like to see Ireland with NRC and Delph in a middle 3. With Downing & Young on the wings.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »
Although I agree with what Gezza is saying, I am concerned that this may not be the best way to handle the player.  Some react well to crtiicism and some need an arm round their shoulder - I think Ireland is the latter type!

I agree with this John.  Houllier may be getting to know the players and what makes them tick.  I notice in an article on the BBC that he's praising Heskey talking about having "faith and ability".  Heskey has definitely improved since Houllier arrived and that may be because Houllier knows the players.  Lets hope he gets it right with Ireland.

With regard to Ireland he was claiming in interviews that one of his biggest assets is that he has energy to burn at the end of matches.  From what I have seen and also read on here, this is not the case.  Is he just not fit yet, or is he deluding himself about his fitness levels?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010, 01:45:50 PM »
I'm glad of the support he got when he warmed up, as I think he, of all players, needs to have the fans on his side. I'd worry if he became a target of those that love to boo

Agreed Ger.

I'm surprised he hasn't featured more. I think for a player still trying to find his feet at a new club GH's comments were unnecessary. But then we're not party to what goes on in training and the like.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 01:49:28 PM »
Lets hope this makes him sit up and work hard

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 02:47:07 PM »
Eventually I'd like to see Ireland with NRC and Delph in a middle 3. With Downing & Young on the wings.

Definately

I still think Ashleys best position is as a wide man as opposed to where he's been playing for the last few games

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2010, 02:57:01 PM »
Ireland has offered very little in the games he has played so far, there could be a lot of reasons for this, moving to a new club, getting used to the new manager's tactics and requirements, getting used to his new colleagues, regaining match fitness and so on. But one of the most disapointing things is that when he has played he has offered very little defensively, by that i mean that almost every time he goes to close a player down, he generally trots over towards them and shows no intention of actually making a tackle. Any opposition player watching him run towards them wouldn't be worried in the slightest.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 03:25:59 PM »

Definately

I still think Ashleys best position is as a wide man as opposed to where he's been playing for the last few games

I disagree.

We were far better at Sunderland when he moved into the middle.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 04:01:04 PM »
Ireland has never looked fully fit to me, let's hope Gerard can get him up to speed.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 04:10:55 PM »
One thing we really missed yesterday was getting players into the opposition box. Heskey was in their fighting alone against 5. He never stood a chance. Ireland would probably have been up there supporting but it's the rest of his game he needs to work at. At the moment he's a passenger.

Disagree, he hasn't been given a proper chance yet.

This is the type of advice that should be kept in house and not splashed all over the paper, unless that's GH's way of motivating.

If so, let's hope it works.

Offline tarzansbrother

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 04:23:55 PM »
How many games has he played in the last 2 seasons? Im sure I read it was only 5 or so full 90 mins. What amazes me is he is expected to be at full tilt after just 3-4 games. I do worry that Houllier has seen things that must indicate poor attitude and willingness to really have a go. Where is the player rated at £20m plus with Manure looking at him? Mark Hughes got the best out of him and i dont think he slated him in public.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2010, 07:14:11 PM »
Instead of blasting GH, it might well work and help him to stop sulking and work harder. If it work we will have one of player. Otherwise he will be wasted like Stanley Victor Collymore / Sasa Curcic.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2010, 07:20:33 PM »
I think he'll be fine once he's up to speed and settled at the club, and he'll be a great asset.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal