collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier says Ireland Must Up His Game  (Read 47484 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Houllier says Ireland Must Up His Game
« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2010, 10:33:22 AM »
Stephen Ireland is considering his future at Aston Villa less than four months after his arrival from Manchester City, having failed to earn a regular first-team place under new manager Gerard Houllier.
(News of the World)

If that's true (big if considering the source) then he is a total disgrace and I hope we sell in January. 

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #196 on: November 13, 2010, 09:26:26 AM »
Struggling with flu and is likely to be out today.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #197 on: November 13, 2010, 09:33:20 AM »
I know he had a good season 2 years ago but I have not been impressed so far, I think he was forced on us as part of the deal. Too much baggage and ego i think.

Online spangley1812

« Reply #198 on: November 13, 2010, 09:42:34 AM »
He was part of the deal that was completed by the board after MON left, GED does not see him fitting in his 4 5 1 formation and as he didnt buy him I think he will try and sell him on in Jan and use the funds to hopefully buy a striker. I cant see us getting the £8m that he was valued in the Milner deal

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #199 on: November 13, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »
I know he had a good season 2 years ago but I have not been impressed so far, I think he was forced on us as part of the deal. Too much baggage and ego i think.

It's worth reading the OP on this thread again. I think Houlier's comments were spot on.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #200 on: November 13, 2010, 11:48:25 AM »
He's hardly been given a fair crack of the whip has he?  Restricted to substitute appearances of late and playing kids ahead of him isn't exactly a confidence boost.  In the 5 minute cameo against Fulham last weekend we saw a glimpse of what sort of player i think he really is.  I don't believe the story in the NOTW, easy story to come up with because he hasn't had a fairytale start.  Give him time and ffs give him a chance.   When he came on at Blackpool, the first time he made a mistake people around where i was sat where giving him stick.  How is that going to help?

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #201 on: November 13, 2010, 11:55:14 AM »
I think it's a 'no flame without fire' article.

He is clearly struggling to adapt at VP and GH isn't showing signs of fancying him.

If he goes, he could well come back to haunt us like many who leave Villa at that age.

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #202 on: November 13, 2010, 11:59:29 AM »
Well we will need to give him a full season or more to really give him a proper chance. It's more than understandable that it's going to take any new player time to settle into the team, but that's not really the worrying thing with him, it's his application, or lack of. It was mentioned at Man City by Mancini and it's already been mentioned here by Houllier, and it's been fairly plain to see when he has played. The guy needs to grow some balls and develop a bit of mental strength, the quote seems to ring true about him being in the top 5% for talent, but the bottom 5% for mental strength, unfortunately you need the latter more than the former to be a top class player week in week out.

I'm not surprised he is 'sick' yet again either, just before a big match. 

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #203 on: November 13, 2010, 12:38:41 PM »
Interesting idiom

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #204 on: November 13, 2010, 12:43:37 PM »
Interesting idiom

What are you having for lunch tomorrow lamb what ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal