collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Who should create the Atmosphere? by Drummond
[Today at 03:44:14 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by chrisw1
[Today at 03:44:01 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 03:41:59 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:41:45 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Paul.S
[Today at 03:40:35 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Paul.S
[Today at 03:38:32 PM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by paul_e
[Today at 03:24:23 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by john e
[Today at 03:23:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier says Ireland Must Up His Game  (Read 47539 times)

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Houllier says Ireland Must Up His Game
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 10:22:46 AM »
I really fear I am becoming some sort of self loathing Irishman! Was never an O'Neill fan, think Dunne should be dropped and wasn't really enthusiastic about Stephen Ireland coming in!

Then again, Peter McParland and that bloke with the dodgy knees were OK.

Offline Merv

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 10:36:31 AM »
I'm getting concerned that GH doesn't rate Ireland - leaving him out yesterday, preferring to use Clark in CM and then bringing Bannan on ahead of him has started ringing alarm bells for me. I really hope Houllier sees a role for Ireland because he is a class act and can deliver if nurtured correctly.

What we're beginning to see now I think is that Houllier's sussing players out. Some he clearly likes - Clark stands out - and some he doesn't - step forward Delfouneso.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 10:42:10 AM »
Ireland will be fine. We wont be selling him any time soon and once he settles in we'll see why City fans loved him.
Its important he keeps his head and accepts he is in a transitional period, that we are in a transitional period, and makes the best of it.
He has to work hard though. If he's not putting the effort in as he should be he deserves a public kick up the arse.
But lets not go overboard about him and give him time.

And yes, he does deserve to play ahead of Sidwell. At least Ireland can pass to a team mate, even out of form, depressed... whatever.
But it's Houllier's call and he just has to get on with it.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 10:44:38 AM »
Ireland our highest earner!?! That's pathetic, how can he come straight in as highest earner after not playing for a year?

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 10:45:26 AM »
I really fear I am becoming some sort of self loathing Irishman! Was never an O'Neill fan, think Dunne should be dropped and wasn't really enthusiastic about Stephen Ireland coming in!

Then again, Peter McParland and that bloke with the dodgy knees were OK.

:)

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 10:45:42 AM »
He took a pay cut to come to Villa.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 10:50:54 AM »
He's clearly got a lot of ability but when we were linked with him initially I argued that his application didn't always match it. So far we've seen plenty of the lack of application and precious little of the ability.

Hopefully he'll take note of what's been said rather than sulk.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 10:52:50 AM »

Oh bless him 

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 11:02:02 AM »
Although I agree with what Gezza is saying, I am concerned that this may not be the best way to handle the player.  Some react well to crtiicism and some need an arm round their shoulder - I think Ireland is the latter type!

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »

Oh bless him 

I know. I know but that's why he's our highest earner.

Its a shame really as he would have been ideal in front of Milner and somebody else.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 11:23:48 AM by Mazrim »

Offline dutchvilla

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 11:54:47 AM »
it's not obvious that O'Neill wanted him either. Perhaps in the interregnum, the owners thought one midfielder is much the same as another since we wouldn't be buying anyone else (ie the natue of the deal with Man City over Milner led to us getting a player neither the former nor the current machine want)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 12:11:07 PM »
He's clearly got a lot of ability but when we were linked with him initially I argued that his application didn't always match it. So far we've seen plenty of the lack of application and precious little of the ability.

Hopefully he'll take note of what's been said rather than sulk.
Agreed. To be fair to Ireland, I could never understand why he's been played in a midfield central two with Petrov as the more advanced of the pair. Obviously not playing to his strengths but regardless, he needs to start getting more involved.

It recently struck me how Heskey now plays with a mentality of "this is MY Aston Villa team" rather than trying and failing to find a way to fit in. Downing is the same, it's all about ownership. Sidwell had it at Reading where he ran the place but has never achieved it since. Let's hope Ireland soon realises Man City is all in the past, hard work and dedication to the cause will give him the freedom to express himself the way wants.

Houllier has obviously thought long and hard before making public his opinion of Ireland. Now it's up to the player to respond in a positive way. Whether he will or not, I have my doubts but I really hope he does as he is most certainly a very talented player, the type we've been crying out for since Merson left. He really can give us a new dimension, especially in attack.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 12:33:31 PM »
take his diamond earrings away and say he can have them back when he delivers the targets that GH sets for him -

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 12:40:18 PM »
One thing i do like about Ireland is his passing, sometimes his first time balls trying to play people through could well end up having a big effect, especially when Gabby comes back. He's worth perservering with, he'll be a heck of a player for us.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 01:01:26 PM »
Yesterday Ireland, in addition to a verbal and very public kick up the backside from his manager would have seen two obviously technically limited midfielders and a young centre half picked ahead of him, with another untried youngster brought off the bench ahead of him.

If that was me I'd want to do something about it - hopefully Ireland feels the same. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:09:01 PM by Matt C »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal