collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v The Blues Post-Match Thread  (Read 58403 times)

Offline taylorsworkrate

Re: Aston Villa v The Blues Post-Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 02:14:34 PM »
I'm really interested in Houllier's reasoning for his team selection.  I hope he's not allowed to duck that issue.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 02:17:26 PM »
i am not too sure GH had that many choices, Ireland who i suspect he didnt trust for a derby

Surely if he had played 2 defensive midfielders and Ireland, instead of the 3 defensive midfielders he did play, we would have. had a better chance of getting a goal.

Offline GullyFoyle

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2010, 02:17:36 PM »
Let's look at the positives. That's 6 wins and 1 draw out of the last 7. 19 points as against their 1. Our winning streak had to come to an end at some stage. Now let's go and beat them the next 6, then a draw, then another 6.   

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2010, 02:18:30 PM »
I think our league position is starting to mirror our talent.

If thats the case then MON worked miracles, which i refuse to believe.

Not really.  Houllier has inherited a squad without it's best player (milner) and has also been hit by injuries and suspensions so its logical that we're going to drop down the table.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2010, 02:22:40 PM »
Our league form is very poor at the moment.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2010, 02:22:51 PM »
What a bloody awful game of football that was between two spectaculary average teams.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »
I'm really interested in Houllier's reasoning for his team selection.  I hope he's not allowed to duck that issue.

it reminded me of DOL's first derby. packing the midfield to not get beat.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2010, 02:23:35 PM »
A better performance than last year's home match against them - very rarely did they cause us trouble today. 

Seeing Ciaran and Barry Bannan thrust into such a game and look comfortable is a big, big positive for me.  In the end it was a typical derby match - we can't go on winning them forever. A good effort, lads, now onto the next match...

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2010, 02:25:05 PM »
I don't see any problem with the team selection, it was the defensive tactics that let us down. We played far too deep and failed to get players into the box. The Rags were highly organised, especially first half and they were willing to get players to support the attack. We weren't until the last 10-15 minutes. See the challenge by Heskey on their keeper in the second half - not a Villa player in sight to pick up the pass.

Not too disappointed. Gabby can't come back soon enough but he'll have to start showing Heskey a bit more respect and try and work together on a partnership. Always got the feeling Gabby preferred to play with Carew, more for personal than professional reasons.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2010, 02:25:57 PM »
I'm listening to the WM radio phone in, villa fans are honestly calling for Houllier to go!
This is a guy that has not had the opportunity to buy anyone.  Has lost gabby, albrighton and petrov from his first team.

Where is the perspective?

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »
I think our league position is starting to mirror our talent.

If thats the case then MON worked miracles, which i refuse to believe.

Not really.  Houllier has inherited a squad without it's best player (milner) and has also been hit by injuries and suspensions so its logical that we're going to drop down the table.

ah, i see what you mean now, i thought you were talking about the squad in general. 

There is no way with players fit that we should be anywhere near this low in the league.

Offline luke25

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2010, 02:27:11 PM »
Just got back in the car, thats about it

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2010, 02:30:14 PM »
Let's look at the positives. That's 6 wins and 1 draw out of the last 7. 19 points as against their 1. Our winning streak had to come to an end at some stage. Now let's go and beat them the next 6, then a draw, then another 6.

I'm not bothered about this being against them. We don't get double points for results against them. We need to start winning matches. We haven't scored in three league games now and haven't won one in over a month. I want to start seeing three points appearing  on the board regularly or we need to start looking over our shoulder rather then who is in front of us.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2010, 02:30:25 PM »
I'm listening to the WM radio phone in, villa fans are honestly calling for Houllier to go!
This is a guy that has not had the opportunity to buy anyone.  Has lost gabby, albrighton and petrov from his first team.

Incredible.  Why do they let these people on the radio?

too thick and ugly for tv.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2010, 02:31:19 PM »
People calling up for Houllier to go is ridiculous, he made mistakes today and was far far too negative. But give the guy a chance to get some of his own players in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal