collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa U-10 Girls v Derby U-10 Girls  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Aston Villa U-10 Girls v Derby U-10 Girls
« on: October 30, 2010, 06:20:37 PM »
Won 16-1.

Nice omen for tomorrow, I hope.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Aston Villa U-10 Girls v Derby U-10 Girls
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 08:10:43 PM »
Yes let's hope so.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else think there's something not quite right about an under-10s girls team being affiliated to a Premier League club and winning 16-1?

Offline Legion

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 08:43:43 PM »
Ask the club.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 10:49:30 PM »
Just you Dave.

I think it is great.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else think there's something not quite right about an under-10s girls team being affiliated to a Premier League club and winning 16-1?

I'm with you, Dave.  I don't think it does the club any credit. 

There's one thing to play to the best of your ability and to lose; there's another to being absolutely trounced.   The first is part of growing up and playing competitive sport (which I'm a strong advocate of); the second smacks of the adults in charge of the Villa team being on an ego trip.

I would never allow a school game to finish like that.  In the past when the result is beyond doubt, I've made substitutions, made my star striker play at centre-back, allowed the opposition to play 8 v 7 and, when refereeing, blown up early.  Anything to avoid one set of children - and regardless of the kit they happen to be sporting, that's what they are - being humiliated and possibly putting them off taking part in sport in general, and football in particular, for life.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 12:56:04 PM »
I don't think it's the winning as a Villa team bit I'm concerned about, it's whether children of that age should be at a Premier League, or any other professional, club. Is it right to introduce them to that sort of win at all costs mentality so early? And as TD113 says, nobody on either side gets anything out of such a game.   

Offline Legion

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 01:07:27 PM »

I would never allow a school game to finish like that.  In the past when the result is beyond doubt, I've made substitutions, made my star striker play at centre-back, allowed the opposition to play 8 v 7 and, when refereeing, blown up early.  Anything to avoid one set of children - and regardless of the kit they happen to be sporting, that's what they are - being humiliated and possibly putting them off taking part in sport in general, and football in particular, for life.

Totally agree. I do exactly the same.

Recently, my girls B-Team played a friendly against another school in Walsall. Our respective A teams had just played a very competitive, evenly-matched game. They only had the one team but agreed to the match and I asked their coach (a parent under the supervision of a teacher there) to take in to consideration the age and ability of my B team (all Y3/4) and to modify things accordingly. The B team fixture is 10 minutes each way. He decided to play 15 e/w. I think my girls lost 18-0. To say I was disgusted with the approach of the other school is putting it mildly.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 01:24:16 PM »
If the girls/boys are signed up to play for the Villa it means they can't play for their local team, ie with their mates, you want kids to play football for enjoyment and not to take it too serious. I wonder how many will still be playing football in 10 or 20 years time.

Offline Legion

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Not true. I have a lad who plays for Aston Villa Under 9s and still plays for me. Plus the girl who plays for the U-10s.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 02:34:51 PM »
Not true. I have a lad who plays for Aston Villa Under 9s and still plays for me. Plus the girl who plays for the U-10s.

Does he, that's good, a lad my son plays with has signed up for Cheltenham Town and can train with his side but not play matches.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 02:38:24 PM »
I think you might be talking at cross purposes here.  I have had children - boys and girls - play for academy sides and they and their parents have been told in no uncertain terms that the only other team they can play for is their school. 

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 02:41:53 PM »
I think you might be talking at cross purposes here.  I have had children - boys and girls - play for academy sides and they and their parents have been told in no uncertain terms that the only other team they can play for is their school. 

You're right, schools are an exception.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal