collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Do we have a drink problem?  (Read 6245 times)

Offline Nastylee

Do we have a drink problem?
« on: October 30, 2010, 09:47:59 AM »
Today's Daily Star, sorry if it's already been discussed:

AXE THREAT FOR CITY BINGERS

ROBERTO MANCINI has told his Manchester City millionaires to cut out the boozing or face the axe from Eastlands.

Mancini has been left  reeling after several of his players were caught taking part in a drinking binge in Scotland earlier this week.

The England trio of Gareth Barry, Adam Johnson and Joe Hart were videoed downing drinks at a student party in St  Andrews. 

The incident came just 24 hours after City’s home thrashing by fellow title challengers Arsenal and left Mancini furious.

Starsport understands the Italian has fined the three involved and issued a serious dressing down to the rest of his squad.

He has told them to cut down on their party lifestyles and focus on keeping fit as City look to challenge for the Premier League crown.

Clean-living Mancini will not stand for such behaviour and ­admits he finds the English ­culture difficult to accept.

Harry Redknapp has suffered similar problems at Tottenham and the City boss is desperate to avoid a drinking culture ­developing at Eastlands.

The former Inter Milan chief said: “I don’t ­understand it. The last video was on Monday and that was a day off, so the ­players can do what they want.

“But I don’t understand why they have chosen this and I am ­unhappy about it. We are playing every three or four days at the moment and it is difficult enough to recover.

“I want to resolve this problem in the dressing room, not here.

“It was a day off and the players can go where they want, but when we are playing every three days, the players need to know it’s ­important they recover well ­between games.

“This is not a problem only for us, it is a problem for many British players. It’s a cultural thing.

“I read that Aston Villa and Tottenham had the same problem.

“I want to solve the problem in the dressing room because here is not good.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/160671/AXE-THREAT-FOR-CITY-BINGERS/

Offline TimTheVillain

Re: Do we have a drink problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 09:55:40 AM »
It's the John Carew thing.

All footballers bar James 'swagbag' Milner like a drink.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 09:56:08 AM »
Villa tend to make me consume far more than I would normally (and that's no small amount).

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 09:59:39 AM »
No i dont think we have a drink problem it's just Mancini trying to shift the attention from his club because they are all piss head's.

Offline eastie

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 10:03:04 AM »
 I don't think there is a drink problem and houllier is very hard on such things, there's no way he would allow it to happen .

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 10:05:15 AM »
First I've heard.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 10:24:39 AM »
Anyone think Richard Dunne is shy of the grog?

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 10:43:02 AM »
yeah I just read this, I think we were only mentioned because of Houliers comment the other day about fitness and players being more professional.

Yes I guess we do have a drink problem but i would imagine every team does as mentioned by Mancini its a culture issue.

I would like to get on my high horse as Im older and wiser and say that such highly paid athletes should know better and look after themselves at least for 10 years and that they can do all the drinking and partying when their careers over but I guess in the real world looking at it objectionably I can see why it happens.

They are young have lots of money, lots of time, pressure from WAGS, lots of temptation, they are scrutinised at every level and and many come under a lot of pressure.

Whats the answer Im not sure like I say I would like to think professionally if it were me and rein it in, we can only dream of playing professional football but individually each one has to make that decision.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 11:20:04 AM »
From The Telegraph Wed 27th October 2010.

Gérard Houllier implores Aston Villa players to avoid alcohol and nightclubs
Gérard Houllier has warned his Aston Villa players there is no place for nightclubs and alcohol in a modern footballer's life.
Houllier was well known for his no-nonsense attitude to players and their private lives while Liverpool manager between 1998 and 2004.
He has impressed upon his young Villa players a similar message, saying they must dedicate themselves entirely to football if they want to succeed. "If you go off the track, with booze and nightclubs, you can imagine what happens," he said.
"Players have got to live for the job. That is sometimes why their marriage breaks.
"They marry young girls who want to go out and go to restaurants. But the life of a player, they usually play every three days, they have to be at home, put their feet up.
"You cannot succeed otherwise. If you love football, you have to live for football. For 10 years at least.
"All big players, their rest, their diet, their off-the-field life is for football.
"They can enjoy life afterwards when they become TV pundits or managers."

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 12:06:40 PM »
I don't think there is a drink problem and houllier is very hard on such things, there's no way he would allow it to happen .

Some people are what's known as functioning alcoholics. Unlikely, but he might not yet know it's happening if someone has a serious drink problem. For what it's worth, I think society as a whole has a drink problem. We're told not to drink too much - cue happy hour, 2 for 1 offers etc etc.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 01:49:30 PM »
What if footballer love salsa dancing and don't drink and rest plenty in between football / training / salsa.

I do think we drink too much in this country in general. I don't drink.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 02:12:41 PM »
What on earth has salsa dancing got to do with it?

Offline supertom

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 05:02:14 PM »
For 50k a week, often more, players should abstain from boozing. Our players aren't as fit as many European rivals. There's too much of a living it up lifestyle that comes with being a Prem footballer it seems. Some spend far, far too much time enjoying night life. It is also a reason many profile European players prefer joining London clubs, because of the night life. Obviously it's not just an English thing, but our drinking culture doesn't help matters.

Still, for the money and the short career footballers have, they should not act like arseholes. Joe Hart dancing on a table with a bottle of grog in his hand was idiotic. That's just minor compared to drink related incidents many players have got themselves into as well. Booze and ego and high profiles don't mix I'm afraid.

I hope Houllier takes the hard line. Dunney's well known as a fan of one too many bevvies, and right now he needs to shift a lot of weight! Carew's often down the west end. Start firing out fines, if players don't like it, sell em and replace with people who are able to act more professionally.

Offline atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 06:00:51 PM »
What on earth has salsa dancing got to do with it?

Check the username Villa and salsa are all he/she ever thinks of.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal