collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 08:48:37 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by rjp
[Today at 08:48:21 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Beard82
[Today at 08:46:12 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:45:01 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 08:44:42 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:44:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:44:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:43:59 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young interview  (Read 3964 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Ashley Young interview
« on: October 30, 2010, 12:34:58 AM »
ASHLEY YOUNG insists he is totally committed to Aston Villa and is not eyeing a move - despite halting contract talks.
The club's star man shocked fans last week with news that he will not sign a new deal before the end of the season.

That prompted fears that £20million-rated Young will leave on the cheap, with only 18 months left on his Villa contract.  But on the eve of the Second City derby, Young moved to reassure fans, saying: "There's nothing about me departing. "All I'm doing is concentrating on my football. I don't want to be distracted by anything else.

"I've not said I'm leaving and I'm not taking my focus off football. "They don't need to worry about anything with me."

England winger Young, 25, says he will not follow Gareth Barry and James Milner out of the door - both high-profile departures recently. Milner left for £26million in the summer, leading to suggestions Villa are becoming a selling club. But Young insists he will show his commitment to the Villa cause in the only way he knows, with another super show against rivals Birmingham tomorrow.

He said: "I'm delighted with how everything is going, my concentration is 100 per cent on football. "The fans have been brilliant since I've been here, always singing my name. "Fingers crossed, come Sunday, I can go out there and repay them big-time in the derby. "I don't think they are a selling club. GB and Milly have left but players will leave every club - you just carry on. "I'm concentrating 100 per cent on Villa, I'm not thinking about moving."

Young smashed in two goals in an emphatic 5-1 victory over Blues the season before last and was also on the winning side in two 1-0 triumphs last year.

He added: "I'd take a win, whether I score or not. If we play well and get three points, that's the main thing in derby games. "It's always going to be a tough game as it's the derby and there's a hostile atmosphere whenever you play Blues. "But we are concentrating on ourselves and making sure we do our job right - if we do that we should win."

Young has been playing in a new position this term under caretaker boss Kevin MacDonald and now Gerard Houllier, just off the main striker rather than out wide. But the former Watford man was back on the wing in an England shirt in the 0-0 draw with Montenegro earlier this month.

He added: "I'm delighted with how things have gone with Villa and England and I need to keep working hard. "I enjoy playing in the new position, it gives me more freedom and fingers crossed I can keep playing well for Villa and impressing the manager.

"I wish it was as simple as being told to roam and be free but it's for me to link the strikers and the widemen and the defensive side of it as well. "I've played up front in the past and I didn't realise how much running there was to do up there."

Young is backing Frenchman Houllier to lead Villa into the Champions League after the club finished fifth in the last two seasons.

He added: "The gaffer's been fantastic. The club can keep progressing and pushing for that Champions League spot." Young also showed his dedication to the club by fronting up their new community programme. Villa Midlands Food, or VMF, takes 12 young local people and trains them in hospitality and services by opening a restaurant in the main stand at Villa Park - a scheme backed by club chairman Randy Lerner.

Young said: "For kids who are not so fortunate, to be able to come and learn new skills is great. "You can tell by their smiles they are happy and have found something. It gives them that chance. "It was brilliant to hear our chef telling them just how good their food and service was. "I'm delighted and all of the kids should be proud of themselves."

Offline olofmilosevic

Re: Ashley Young interview
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 02:18:04 AM »
seems positive! I like the fact he knows exactly what sunday means to us! fingers crossed he signs a new contract!

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 02:38:19 AM »
Hate to say it but very few footballers can be trusted. Especially when there agents see an opportunity to make cash for themselves and player ......

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »
Well fingers crossed he is telling truth, because he is so vital to Villa.

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 08:47:09 AM »
Young is backing Frenchman Houllier to lead Villa into the Champions League after the club finished fifth in the last two seasons.
So 6th is the new 5th then.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:37:49 AM by *shellac* »

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 08:47:12 AM »
At the training day on Monday Ash was the very last player to sign autograph and pose for fans pictures. I think he's happy taking on the 'biggest fish in the pond' type role in the club.
One fans asked him "Ash, I'm having my new shirt next week, I'm not going to be wasting my money if I have your name on it am I? - Ash replied - "No way" - I'm not niave enough to always believe everything they say, but Ash was clearly enjoying the adulation and the opportunity to be with the fans - over and above really what was expected of him. I think he'll sign a new contract no problem.

Online Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 08:48:10 AM »
I see it as a very positive interview - especially on the eve of the derby - but wait til the meaning evil get it.

Tomorrows Headline '' Villas star player begging Blues to make a bid '' .
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:20:59 AM by Fin Feds Dad »

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 09:33:58 AM »
It is reassuring to know that he is not thinking about leaving let's just hope he stay's.

Online spangley1812

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 09:51:16 AM »
If he was that bothered about the club/fans he would sign the contract, please don't be fooled by this arcticle the only thing that footballers these days are bothered about is their wage packets and egos. He is just running down the contract and has gone public to try to get other clubs interested

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 12:23:02 PM »
I hate this thing about concentrating solely on the football, it's a really poor excuse for dragging the contract negotiations on. Let's face it, the club offers a contract, the player and his agent take a butchers and amend it and they do their best to meet each other. The only thing Young has to say is yes or no. Doesn't take too long to think about and certainly wouldn't affect my ability to do the job I'm was currently being paid to do.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 12:40:31 PM »
Well I hope he does stay.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 01:53:03 PM »
I can't understand why it take so long it can be done under 20 minutes with a cup of tea and biscuit.

Online JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 02:00:35 PM »
He usually turns up in these games. Go and win it for us, Ash.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 05:13:17 PM »
I'd obviously prefer that he actually signs a contract but by going public insisting that he will stay then it is going to become increasingly difficult for him to do otherwise.  On that basis this has to be good news.

Now score a hat-trick tomorrow and you can have your £100k a week.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 05:25:49 AM »
I hate this thing about concentrating solely on the football, it's a really poor excuse for dragging the contract negotiations on. Let's face it, the club offers a contract, the player and his agent take a butchers and amend it and they do their best to meet each other. The only thing Young has to say is yes or no. Doesn't take too long to think about and certainly wouldn't affect my ability to do the job I'm was currently being paid to do.

A tad more complicated than that............if the offered contract is not what the player was expecting and vice versa, if the players demands are not what the club was expecting, I'd much rather have the negotiations conducted in the Summer, when there are no matches to be played.

That way, if there are toys to be thrown, it will not affect either the managers, the teams or the players requirements to produce results on the pitch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal