collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:20:06 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by Steve67
[Today at 09:19:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:17:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 09:17:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 09:17:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 09:17:05 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 09:15:59 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 09:15:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Poppy fascism?  (Read 8332 times)

Offline taylorsworkrate

Re: Poppy fascism?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 11:25:41 PM »
I wear a poppy, but would never assume for one second that someone who doesn't, hasn't got the same respect and gratitude for all the brave men and women who have lost their lives.

Democracy, freedom and the right to choose.  Important things that they fought for.

Articles such as this are examples of incredibly lazy journalism.

Offline WA Villan

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 11:54:31 PM »
I never buy one or wear one. I do not need to be told what I should do or not do. I have worked for charities for the last 2 decades and have never gone round with a tin or attempted to make people feel guilty.
I automatically bin all unwanted appeals and absolutely hate the ones that exploit peoples emotions or try to force them into conforming.
If we raise money-we send it direct to the cause - as in the Tsunami and Haiti disasters we sent money directly to families or people working on the ground.
Lately, we have had a lot of 'support the disabled troops' as if they have just invented disability after Afghanistan and Iraq.
For every soldier -there are thousands more disabled people with no compensation, no pension, etc and not many people give a shit.
My question to the Army is -how many disabled people do you employ? The answer given to a local survey at the recruitment centre was 'what a stupid question'!
This is not meant to be disrespectful to the individuals but a criticism of the institution.

The last paragraph, has to be one of the most childish, immature scribblings from an adult person I have ever read.
Grow up.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 11:57:38 PM »
I never buy one or wear one. I do not need to be told what I should do or not do. I have worked for charities for the last 2 decades and have never gone round with a tin or attempted to make people feel guilty.
I automatically bin all unwanted appeals and absolutely hate the ones that exploit peoples emotions or try to force them into conforming.
If we raise money-we send it direct to the cause - as in the Tsunami and Haiti disasters we sent money directly to families or people working on the ground.
Lately, we have had a lot of 'support the disabled troops' as if they have just invented disability after Afghanistan and Iraq.
For every soldier -there are thousands more disabled people with no compensation, no pension, etc and not many people give a shit.
My question to the Army is -how many disabled people do you employ? The answer given to a local survey at the recruitment centre was 'what a stupid question'!
This is not meant to be disrespectful to the individuals but a criticism of the institution.

The last paragraph, has to be one of the most childish, immature scribblings from an adult person I have ever read.
Grow up.

I agree.

What a load of incoherent bollocks.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 12:08:06 AM »
Back in the mid 90's travelling in S.E Asia I found other uses for poppies. Does that count?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 12:17:19 AM »
Back in the mid 90's travelling in S.E Asia I found other uses for poppies. Does that count?

I will be doing my bit by buying a poppy and smoking some opiates.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 12:19:59 AM »

No shit, Sherlock.

Online Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 09:43:56 AM »

Grow up.

I agree.

I started a reply, previewed my post, and thought, no it's not worth it. If only I'd thought to say what a load of bollocks.

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 10:13:47 AM »

Grow up.

I agree.

I started a reply, previewed my post, and thought, no it's not worth it. If only I'd thought to say what a load of bollocks.

I've just read through this entire thread and it's all a load of bollocks.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 10:27:50 AM »
I think those answers prove the thread title very well.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 10:32:38 AM »
I wear the same one every year  ;)

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 11:29:36 AM »
As soon as I see the Daily Mail I tend to think  'another load of bollocks on the way' The Daily Mail rarely lets me down.  I would rather read the Daily Sport than the Daily Mail, you just swap bollocks for tits...

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 12:05:29 PM »
As soon as I see the Daily Mail I tend to think  'another load of bollocks on the way' The Daily Mail rarely lets me down.  I would rather read the Daily Sport than the Daily Mail, you just swap bollocks for tits...

If only it were so easily dismissed. The coaliton goverment appear to take Daily Mail headlines as a starting point for policy.

Offline jimmygreen

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 02:13:01 PM »
It's a shame the TV people can't take a more mature approach and just say 'No it's not November yet'. Both they and the Politicos seem to be playing a game of who blinks first each year. I cannot see the point of gimmicky poppies on a football shirt (no matter how well intentioned - or how much extra in terms of money raising it brings in for the Legion - no not you Leeg). It all becomes a bit tacky - in my opinion. Wear one if you want, don't if you don't want to. I am forced to wear one, though I wear one through choice. But not in October.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 04:05:09 PM »
I wear a Help the Heroes band on my wrist and I also donate some money for a poppy too. People should respect what our soldiers did.

I can't for the life of me think why someone would be against the poppy appeal or Help for Heroes.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »

No shit, Sherlock.

Eh?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal