collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier wants new faces  (Read 12023 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Houllier wants new faces
« on: October 29, 2010, 04:07:52 PM »
Sky sports

Villa boss eyes new signings in New Year

Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier has confirmed he would like fresh faces at Villa Park come the New Year.

The former Liverpool boss was named the club's successor to Martin O'Neill in September after the summer transfer window had closed.

Houllier has therefore been unable to bring in any of his own players to the club, although results during his early tenure have been promising.

The 63-year-old is against spending in January, but will be happy splashing the cash providing a player of the right quality is available.

Although the Midlands outfit are believed to be in the market for a new striker Houllier is not ruling out strengthening elsewhere.

"I don't like January because January is not a good period," said Houllier. "But you need to be blind not to see that there are some areas where we are not blessed with numbers.

"If we spot a really good player with internationally-proven experience who can bring something to the team, particularly in some areas, we will take him.

"We need to bring some players in. That's it. I think we will have one or two coming in January. Will it be up front? Not necessarily."

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: Houllier wants new faces
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 04:11:47 PM »
So its benzema then?

<winky thing>

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 04:14:37 PM »

" Will it be up front? Not necessarily."

Christ, I hope he's joking.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 04:34:32 PM »

" Will it be up front? Not necessarily."

Christ, I hope he's joking.

what's he going to say though, really? If he starts naming positions the price goes up. He has to be general about everything. I think you'd have to be blind (his words) if a forward wasn't on his radar, as well as another central midfield player. I think we all know Stan is on his last legs, and Delph will only just be coming back.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 04:35:56 PM »
"But you need to be blind or Martin O'Neill not to see that there are some areas where we are not blessed with numbers."

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 05:19:50 PM »
The fact is, we currently have four strikers in the first team squad which should be more than enough for the  number of fixtures Villa have, especially when we play one up front.  Lets not panic because we have a few injuries. 

Personally I still think the CM is the most important area is CM, because even when everyone is fit I think that we're still a bit lacking.

If we can get Delf out on loan, or sell carew/heskey then the need for a striker increases however it may be hard to do all that in the January window.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 05:25:46 PM »
The fact is, we currently have four strikers in the first team squad which should be more than enough for the  number of fixtures Villa have, especially when we play one up front.  Lets not panic because we have a few injuries. 

Personally I still think the CM is the most important area is CM, because even when everyone is fit I think that we're still a bit lacking.

If we can get Delf out on loan, or sell carew/heskey then the need for a striker increases however it may be hard to do all that in the January window.

But one is out injured,one is still young and unproven,the other is in form but far from prolific,and the last one looks like he's leaving very soon,so i hope its a priority. In an ideal world it'll be a forward and a midfielder,what we need is a couple of signings like the Young Carew scoop a few years back.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 05:26:47 PM »
So we're after Lenny Henry, Victoria Wood and the Chuckle Brothers?

Offline eastie

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 05:28:56 PM »
None of our 4 strikers are prolific at finishing off chances- we are crying out for a natural goalscorer and central midfielder who can create things- I'm sure gerard will make these a priority.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 05:33:31 PM »
None of our 4 strikers are prolific at finishing off chances- we are crying out for a natural goalscorer and central midfielder who can create things- I'm sure gerard will make these a priority.

Who are these mythical natural goalscorers? OK, so they do exist, but they all cost £20m+

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »

the ones we got arnt good enough, thats why we need some more,
preferably ones that can score some goals

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 05:45:29 PM »
I suppose my point is, that we are currently running marginally beyond our means, therefore in order to balance the books we need some "outs" to compensate for the desired "ins".

We cannot just keep throwing money at the problem as it will restrict us in the future (when there may be better players / better value available)

The huge caveat is that IF the right player became available then we should of course make the move, however I suspect that in January the "right" player will not be available and we could end up signing a player who in 6-12 months time will be another expensive signing sitting on our bench alongside Carew and Heskey.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:50:22 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 05:50:35 PM »
Shorey and Harewood have departed, Davies may or may not extend his loan stint at Leicester and there could be one or two more on the way out.

So if the wage bill was an issue (and by all accounts it was) it should be less of a factor now.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 05:58:55 PM »
Good point KG.  Gardner too should be added to the list of outs.
Signing bonanza it is then!

Hang-on, I still think we should look to get rid of one of the strikers as we just don't need five, but the economics I was worried about are indeed less of a problem.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 06:03:03 PM »
So where is this money appearing from then? I thought we had none, hence no new MON signings, hence MON walking out.

Unless we sell Sidwell for £20m...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal