collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeS
[Today at 10:18:37 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 10:17:44 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Tayls_7
[Today at 10:17:21 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Nev
[Today at 10:13:27 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 10:10:44 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 10:07:38 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:04:14 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 10:03:16 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stewart Downing amnesty.  (Read 37511 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Stewart Downing amnesty.
« on: October 29, 2010, 02:37:56 AM »
Ok. Time to man up here. For all of you who slated Downing last season, here's your chance to come clean. He's been excellent this season, and is getting better with every game. In my opinon, our best player by a distance, and on track to comfortably to get 10-15 goals, maybe more. He's been very creative, and he's popped up with some important goals. Give him a couple of better strikers to play with and he'll not only score more because of having better players around him, but create numerous chances.

I would also ask those of you who are doubting Ireland right now to think about what being out of the game actually can do to form and confidence. Ireland despite the odd moment clearly isn't at the races yet. He's frustrated because he knows he is capable of a lot more. But give him time. Like Downing, I'm convinced he'll come good.

Offline olofmilosevic

Re: Stewart Downing amnesty.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 03:26:52 AM »
i couldnt disagree any more if i wanted to! he bottles tackles! his distribution is average at best!

with that being said i would love for him to prove me wrong!

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 03:30:11 AM »
He may be a powder puff when it comes to tackling, but to be honest he is a winger so I'm not that bothered.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 03:32:14 AM »
Wise words TV.  Lets hope you're right about Ireland too.

Offline olofmilosevic

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 03:33:59 AM »
yes but i don't know how many times this season he has given the ball away with sloppy passing! unnecessarily giving the ball away! it kills us!

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 03:44:42 AM »
Because he is the only player who gives the ball away!

Offline olofmilosevic

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 03:51:11 AM »
no he isnt the only player that gives the ball away but... this discussion is about downing if the discussion was about sidwell i would be saying the same stuff and probably worse!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 03:52:08 AM »
i couldnt disagree any more if i wanted to! he bottles tackles! his distribution is average at best!

with that being said i would love for him to prove me wrong!

I don't want my most skilful players having to make strong tackles. Last season for obvious reasons lacked some confidence making challenges, and while you could never mistake him of being Roy Keane, he still gets involved. Quite frankly I want him doing what he's been doing. That is, running at full backs, creating chances and scoring. That's why we bought him. Not for what you are criticising him for.

Offline olofmilosevic

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 04:04:35 AM »
A professional footballer does not have the luxury of having one job! especially not a footballer in one of the smallest squads in the league. I agree he has his moments but Ashley Young is also a winger (attacking player) he gets his foot in and he doesnt give away 7 yard passes. If there is a 50/50 to be won he has to win it! If you're willing to accept anything less [regardless of position] of a player you're mad! Milner (the wanker) started off out wide,great tackler,great passer!
 Maybe you would have an argument if SD was terrorizing full backs week in week out scoring and setting goals up, but he doesn't. So when he isn't doing the above what is he expected to do????? Dig in and help the team!

Like i said before i would like nothing more to come on here and say Toronto Villa you were right,SD has proved me wrong! at the end of the day it's about the villa but at the moment i can't see it!

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 04:21:59 AM »
There are plenty of Villa legends who were not known for their tackling. I had a problem with Sir Brian when he first broke into the team, but I soon realised that he so much more to offer. If Downing can recreate his 'Boro form - and I think he's progressing towards doing that, then we shouldn't let it worry us. It might be a little irritating at times, but so what? Worry when the likes of Dunne, Collins and NRC stop tackling.

Offline peter w

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 06:31:09 AM »
Jury is still out on Downing for me. He has started promisingly  and scored some good, important, goals. but he does tend to go missing and his distribution is woeful at times. Still, I'll judge his overall contribution at the end of the season and not just yet. Marks out of ten so far? 6and a half.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 06:51:52 AM »
It is Downings first full season with us, remember he was being asked to settle into a new set up after an extended lay off so it was not surprising it took him time. You could apply the same reasoning with Ireland who has in effect been playing very little first team football at Citeh in the last year or so.
With regards to slow starts, older fans will remember Andy Lochhead took months before he hit the back of the net. I dread to think what would have been said about him if the internet had existed, especially as there was a relegation involved too during that period.
So I think patience from the fans is the name of the game with any new players, the case of Downing proves this and I hope fans will bear with Ireland who I am sure will also come good.
NB. However, none of the above can apply to Sidwell. How long have we been waiting for him to do something ? 

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 07:16:07 AM »
Agreed Pete.

There always seems to be a barrage of these smug 'told you so' threads when a player puts more than two half decent games together nowadays. Are we that easily impressed? Are we that lacking in talent and things to be positive about that we'll lionize even modest contributions?

I'll save the Downing hero worship for when he has a more telling impact on results and performances over an extended period of time, thanks all the same.

He does some very good things, some sublime crosses, long distance passes and is providing more of a goal threat this year in the final third.   I've never had doubts about his technical ability -even last year-  but I don't buy the argument that he's a winger so he doesn't have to worry about giving the ball away, tackling or the other less attractive parts of the job.

It's a team game, which is why Ash when playing wide has no qualms about tracking back. Milner for all his effectiveness further up the pitch wasn't afraid to muck in and even a player like Drogba has a crucial part to play when his side are under the cosh and need to defend.

Different players might have different degrees of effectiveness in these secondary roles, but they have to contribute.

There are only a select group of very top players who are so good at what they do that they don't need to worry about mucking in for the team and doing the ugly stuff. Downing certainly isn't in that category.

He might not be Reo Coker esque in the tackle but he can still provide nuisance value and it's important for the overall shape of the team that he does his bit even if not in possession.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 07:27:20 AM »
I did say previously that he'd be much better for us once he'd had a full pre season.
Knew he'd come good, but it's early days and we just have to teach him to tackle now.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 07:44:16 AM »
I never doubted him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal