collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 11:06:02 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 11:04:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Small Rodent
[Today at 10:57:27 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:55:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:51:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Stu
[Today at 10:51:03 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Richard
[Today at 10:47:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:44:34 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Temporary Captain named  (Read 16256 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Temporary Captain named
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2010, 11:44:46 PM »
Well done Nigel. Great player.

Oh, come on.

How our standards have slipped when Reo Coker earns the epither "great".

He's done alright of late. A bit like Heskey, who until last weekend was being hailed as Gerd Muller reincarnated.

They've both got faults as players, they've both got pluses (and NRC's faults are more acceptable, as he doesn't play in a position where the faults get so ruthlessly exposed, and where their cost to the club is so glaringly obvious).

I'm glad they've both been given the chance, it is early days for them, but I hope they take it.

What is interesting is how, under MON, we had an 8.5 million pound, high salary player frozen out because he'd looked at the manager funnily, or trodden on Robbo's Superkings or something, but now he's club captain, getting good reviews, and playing a lot.

Perhaps that puts into perspective the cost to the club of the former manager's falling out with players.  If he wants to fall out with them and freeze them out, that's his choice, but had I been Randy, I'd have been thinking of the cost of such acts of pettiness whilst said manager was asking for more money for players.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2010, 12:11:35 AM »
i remember times in the distant past when  we were crying out for a combatative midfielder, I think NRC on form could play in most prem top  teams, i think he will be our player of the season which is a problem

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2010, 12:38:07 AM »
Anything which marginalises the lamentable petrov is a plus.

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2010, 03:29:22 AM »
One thing is for sure.  He MUST play on Sunday.

Offline eastie

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2010, 08:24:35 AM »
Chris, are you still smartin because reo had a pop at your martin?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2010, 09:59:52 AM »
Chris, are you still smartin because reo had a pop at your martin?

Don't be pathetic.

He's a decent player doing a good job that suits the way currently play. I'd pick him every week at the moment but think we'll have to do better if we have any pretensions to challenge at the top end of the table.

I think NRC on form could play in most prem top  teams

Then why didn't any of them buy him when he was for sale in the summer? As I said on another thread he's an average footballer but an above average athlete. What I have liked about him this season is that he's shown some discipline, without that he wouldn't be able to hold down a place. Houllier has remarked about him knowing his job where in the past he has said in interviews that he sees himself as an attacking box to box midfielder.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »
What is interesting is how, under MON, we had an 8.5 million pound, high salary player frozen out because he'd looked at the manager funnily, or trodden on Robbo's Superkings or something, but now he's club captain, getting good reviews, and playing a lot.

I think having a fight with the manager is bit more than 'looking at him funny'.  I think that was all put behind them myself and Martin just preferred the Petrov/Milner partnership, so due to his lack of rotation Nigel wasn't getting much game time.  I was an advocate of him being brought back in, and that's as someone who thought Martin was doing a good job, so am glad he's gotten his chance.

As to his relative merits as a player, we can't have a team of Youngs and Irelands who bomb forward and score/create.  A football side needs a balance and that's what NRC provides by getting the tackles in, protecting the back 4 and giving these players more freedom to get forward.  Were he to be better on the ball that would of course be great, but if that was to the sacrifice of his tenacity and energy we'd lose that balance to the side and probably be poorer for it.   

Offline Namaste

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2010, 11:16:17 AM »
Well done Reo-Coker, he deserves the captaincy.

I presume he'll definitely play against Burnley then.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2010, 11:26:54 AM »
I was a fan of NRC before he joined Villa, and while he can frustrate the hell out of us, it is undeniable he looks transformed under Houllier. He deserves this opportunity and is still at an age where he can develop and improve.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2010, 11:43:55 AM »
good to see GH getting the best out of what he's got, NRC, Downing and Heskey are all playing better,
 but they are still not good enough in the long run,
 all very average, and theres not a club in the top 6 or one that has aspirations for top 6 that would have any of them in the side.

Offline tsvet

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2010, 11:50:15 AM »
I wonder how does Richard Dunne as vice-captain fit into the earlier comments of GH about players should be avoiding booze...

Offline pmk1981

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2010, 11:55:32 AM »
long long long long overdue !!  congrats reo.  now carry on playing like you have been  and hopefully we can fit someone else beside you and that plonker petrov can do one

Online Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2010, 11:57:02 AM »
I wonder how does Richard Dunne as vice-captain fit into the earlier comments of GH about players should be avoiding booze...

Dunne avoids booze these days, doesn't he?

Offline west sussex villan

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »
Right decision for NRC as captain. You know you get 100% from him every game. He's very passionate and he will give the team a kick up the arse!

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2010, 12:26:34 PM »
long long long long overdue !!  congrats reo.  now carry on playing like you have been  and hopefully we can fit someone else beside you and that plonker petrov can do one

Cokers not fit to lace Petrovs boots

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal