collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Temporary Captain named  (Read 16192 times)

Offline TaxDodger

Re: Temporary Captain named
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »
I've always rated Reo-Coker. When exactly does his contract run out? Is it the end of this season?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 07:26:02 PM »
Never rated him, and a couple of half decent games wont change my mind,
think GH will regret his decision,
cant really leave the captain out of the side to often, and NRC isnt good enough to be playing every week in a side if we have any hopes high or otherwise of challenging for top 6.

Chris is right, should take a far better player than Nige, for him to be described as great

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 07:32:29 PM »
I've always rated Reo-Coker. When exactly does his contract run out? Is it the end of this season?

Yep it is.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »
When he gets the players in a  team huddle before the Rags game, you'll be loving it and going mental, Chris. Come on, admit it.

And that makes him a great player? Alpay must have been a world beater with all his badge kissing.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 07:36:33 PM »
Woops a diasy.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 07:37:12 PM »

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 07:49:38 PM »
Never rated him, and a couple of half decent games wont change my mind,
think GH will regret his decision,
cant really leave the captain out of the side to often, and NRC isnt good enough to be playing every week in a side if we have any hopes high or otherwise of challenging for top 6.

Chris is right, should take a far better player than Nige, for him to be described as great

Listen to what Houllier says 'Nigel knows his job and plays for the team' Nigel is a great player for us and I'm confused as to how you can't rate him, I can't remember anything but good performances from the man, he was treated terrible from Martin.

Offline supertom

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 07:54:09 PM »
I love Coker. I thought so often last season he played and made a difference but O Neill, after the bust up just never gave him a chance. Nige would come in, do well and then get dropped. Tail end of last season we were crying out for his energy, especially during a period when even the indefatigable Milner was running on empty.

Remember him in the Peace Cup against Juve, when he was absolutely fantastic. It was then that he looked a quality player. All of a sudden his passing was on the button, and he wasn't giving the ball away cheaply. His pre-season was good and warranted a run early season, which never came. After his fantastic Anfield display, to not get given a run in the team? Insanity on O Neill's part. But yeah, Juve, extra time, pretty much the last minute. We'd been under the cosh, and then suddenly Nigel gets the ball and goes on a barnstorming pitch length run to relieve the pressure (I think he was stopped eventually before he could get a shot away, but at the time it just gave us some much needed respite). I literally couldn't fathom how, after 120 minutes, in a game we chased the ball so much, he could run full pelt, almost the entire length of the pitch. Amazing.

He might not be the most cultured player but he's learnt to keep it simple and keep the ball, which is important. He gets himself out of tight spots with brute strength, grit and determination at times too.

It shouldn't even be a case of temporary IMO. I'd give him the job full-time.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 08:20:37 PM »
Coker is like Kaka... except he can't score.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 08:50:49 PM »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 09:38:55 PM »
When he gets the players in a  team huddle before the Rags game, you'll be loving it and going mental, Chris. Come on, admit it.

And that makes him a great player? Alpay must have been a world beater with all his badge kissing.
I never said he was a great player, just pointing out you may be a little bit more enthusiastic about NRC on Sunday. Whilst I'm not going to get too excited that he's now captain, especially as he been vice captain for the last few years, I'm not going to pretend he hasn't been playing well. Credit where it's due, even if it is only the last four games.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2010, 10:39:51 PM »
But yeah, Juve, extra time, pretty much the last minute. We'd been under the cosh, and then suddenly Nigel gets the ball and goes on a barnstorming pitch length run to relieve the pressure (I think he was stopped eventually before he could get a shot away, but at the time it just gave us some much needed respite). I literally couldn't fathom how, after 120 minutes, in a game we chased the ball so much, he could run full pelt, almost the entire length of the pitch. Amazing.

I remember this. It was ridiculous, had me out my seat and must've been pretty inspiring to the kids surrounding him on the pitch.

I bloody enjoyed that tournament.

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2010, 11:07:47 PM »
He's the man for the moment, never going to be a great player but may be a very good leader. We have to wait until GH has had a transfer period under his belt to see new faces and more options.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2010, 11:16:05 PM »
i think the bloke was treated badly by MON, he was an ever present in his first few seasons and worked hard, its a shame that prople focus on his lack of ability in the final 3rd, but most times he creates those opportunitys by himself, he has been our most consistant performer this season, he is a leader on the pitch by example and that gives him the right to berate those around him that are not pulling thier weight, a good decision

Offline tarzansbrother

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2010, 11:20:11 PM »
A scrapper with a good engine, will need that on Sunday when our players get kicked up in the air. Our best player just in front of defence and another mess left by our previous manager that our current one has sorted out very well with the minimum of fuss.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal