collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Nearly men again  (Read 17219 times)

Offline adrenachrome

Re: Nearly men again
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2010, 04:47:04 PM »
I think there is a general feeling among the fan base that progress has stalled, if not not stopped. This is reflected in posting activity in internet forums and atmosphere at the games. The jury is now out awaiting evidence on Gerard Houllier's performance and the board's investment. Both are deserving of our full support. 

I believe that this was inevitable, whatever happened in the close season, which of course did not help matters at all. In essence, we were never likely to spend the money required to challenge the CL places, regardless of who was manager. The question to be posed is: would a manager other that MoN have done much better given the same funds. And if so, how much better. In the end, MoN was cautious, but that seems to happen to all of our managers once they get to a certain point; I used to blame Doug for this.

Put simply, expectations were too high based on what was achievable. Progress will be slower, or to use another word steadier, and on more secure foundations. The infrastructure has been improved immeasurably.

Offline bob

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2010, 06:50:24 PM »
What? This post makes fuck all sense.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2010, 07:24:19 PM »
Well done GH for trying to play down expectation, sad to see some fans using it as a means to denigrate a bloke after a handful of games, but desperate needs and all I suppose.

As to Everton seems to me when Man City wanted Lescott they got him, when Utd wanted Rooney they got him. They have Arteta and Cahill, we have Young, and Gabby. What are you all on about.
They have a manager that has stayed with them ours ran out on us, leaving a squad of disgruntled players.
 lets see what the new guy achieves before we draw too many doom conclusions

Offline Sleeuwenhoek

« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »
According to reports, and quotes from owners, regarding Man City's transfer policy, one of their intentions is to weaken the teams around them. In the summer rumours abounded regarding not only Arteta but Torres, Modric and Milner, only one ended up going.

Offline mozza

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2010, 08:54:19 PM »
Impression I'm getting is that we are lacking a 'talisman' or
'Holte End Hero' type of player that is capable of doing something
on the pitch that will get the fans standing up in expectation -

There were times the season before last that Young7 was the guy
that excited the crowd, and the sometimes misplaced adoration of
Carew by the HolteEnders -

I'd like to believe that we have such a player who can produce
such excitement and expectation - Bannan/Albrighton in the future
and a certain Stephen Ireland in the coming months !!!???

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2010, 09:03:01 PM »
What? This post makes fuck all sense.

Before I read in Off Topic that you were trying to give up smoking crack, I was going to ask if you were menstruating.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal