collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Nearly men again  (Read 17236 times)

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
Nearly men again
« on: October 24, 2010, 08:12:52 PM »
I cant help thinking that we are destined to continue to be the Team that nearly becomes great.
MON has left us with a squad with lots of centre halves, ageing full backs and a few wingers and too many players the wrong side of 30, we dont have any players that are likely to score more than ten goals a season.
NRC has proved himself as a combatitive midfielder that lacks touch and vision, we have A Young who has talent but lacks delivery, Downing that has skill with no cutting edge. A centre forward that dosent score (Heskey) and another centre forward (Gabby) who is not a natural finisher. I cant see this squad of players taking us anywhere.
We are now in a fight to become the best of the rest and i dont see much differnce in the quality of our squad to that of Stoke, West Ham or Blackburn. We have a manager that tells us that we are a 6th to 12th team and our results confirm this, so what is the point?

Offline The Man With A Stick

Re: Nearly men again
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 08:25:18 PM »
It's a very even league now, a lot have teams have caught up with us and Everton in the last two years while we've both basically stood still.  I'm still hopeful that Houllier will be able to use whatever money we have wisely.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 08:29:45 PM »
Weird because I was thinking the same kind of thing earlier.  It's not all doom and gloom, but it's difficult to remain hopeful in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.

We probably won't win a cup because we don't score enough goals.  We certainly will not win the league we're in.  Not going to qualify for the 'Champions League'.  So, as you say, what is the point for a club like Villa?  Too 'big' to be happy with premier league survival, not 'big' enough to push on?  That's uninspiring to say the very least but it's the truth. 

We are as likely to win this league as WBA. 

Another season or consolidation / transition / mid table.  The latest kick in the nuts is Young's u-turn on the contract front.  The poster boy for the new Villa basically saying he wants out (let's not kid ourselves otherwise).

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 08:36:08 PM »
I cant help thinking that we are destined to continue to be the Team that nearly becomes great.
MON has left us with a squad with lots of centre halves, ageing full backs and a few wingers and too many players the wrong side of 30, we dont have any players that are likely to score more than ten goals a season.
NRC has proved himself as a combatitive midfielder that lacks touch and vision, we have A Young who has talent but lacks delivery, Downing that has skill with no cutting edge. A centre forward that dosent score (Heskey) and another centre forward (Gabby) who is not a natural finisher. I cant see this squad of players taking us anywhere.
We are now in a fight to become the best of the rest and i dont see much differnce in the quality of our squad to that of Stoke, West Ham or Blackburn. We have a manager that tells us that we are a 6th to 12th team and our results confirm this, so what is the point?

Not being funny but why do people keep going back to his comments? What he means is that's where he sees us at the moment, He will almost certainly be trying to improve on that, Look at the teams in the league they are getting stronger and we aint got a bottomless pit of money.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 08:40:44 PM »
The thing that pisses me off is that the likes of Everton manage to hold onto their best players, when they're in no better position to challenge than we are.  You don't see Cahill or Arteta wanting to move on, though either of those could move on to one of the top four if they wanted.  What is it that they're doing right and we're doing wrong?

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 08:45:31 PM »
Weird because I was thinking the same kind of thing earlier.  It's not all doom and gloom, but it's difficult to remain hopeful in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.

We probably won't win a cup because we don't score enough goals.  We certainly will not win the league we're in.  Not going to qualify for the 'Champions League'.  So, as you say, what is the point for a club like Villa?  Too 'big' to be happy with premier league survival, not 'big' enough to push on?  That's uninspiring to say the very least but it's the truth. 

We are as likely to win this league as WBA. 

Another season or consolidation / transition / mid table.  The latest kick in the nuts is Young's u-turn on the contract front.  The poster boy for the new Villa basically saying he wants out (let's not kid ourselves otherwise).

thank god i am not alone, the proud history ib get, the bright future?

Offline Simba

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 08:47:19 PM »
The point is -  that it has been the same for many, many years ('81 -82) excepting. That's when we had a chance to take over. Shall we talk about it?

All clubs have a persona - Spuds and their passing style.?. West Ham Academy, (soft but skilful...) Manure, great players attacking footy. SHA. er..... oh yeah,  "Losers" that's it.

Us, "Nearly Men".

Well done - erudite, insightful and most importantly you actually said it.

50 years I have supported this Club and it has (almost) always been the same.

Question is: I like what we stand for as a Club etc etc but would I want US to have Man City/Chelsea Millions and actually strive to be the very best in terms of winners of silverware? To have players of genuine World Class quality?  Yes I bloody would. I mean Manchester or Liverpool are not a comparitive shangrilar in comparison with Brum is it, so it is not our City.

I feel we deserve to be respected as Winning Club and fifty years later I am still waiting for us to establish ourselves as such . I am fed up of "Fresh Starts" and "Five Year Plans". Docherty, Venglos, O Niel and Rene, etc..

The on going: "We have to re build. Fans must have Patience."  I am patient but might die any minute.

However, to quote you: "The point is "...... we have little Choice. It's the Club we support and unlike the Glory Hunting ( unlike us as Glory HINTING) supporters we are stuck with it -  it seems.

Anyway, Rant over. Good post. Well said. IMHO. But I am supportive of the new regime and of course live in hope.

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 08:47:59 PM »
The thing that pisses me off is that the likes of Everton manage to hold onto their best players, when they're in no better position to challenge than we are.  You don't see Cahill or Arteta wanting to move on, though either of those could move on to one of the top four if they wanted.  What is it that they're doing right and we're doing wrong?

I see what your saying but I'd like to see what would happen say if City wanted Arteta? They certainly got Lescott didn't they?

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 08:49:47 PM »

Not being funny but why do people keep going back to his comments? What he means is that's where he sees us at the moment, He will almost certainly be trying to improve on that, Look at the teams in the league they are getting stronger and we aint got a bottomless pit of money.
beacuse every bloody interview he says the same thing, as recent as yesterday, talk about self fulfilling prophecies, its a cop out, why not say we heve been 6th for the last 3 seasons i want to improve on that?

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 08:53:02 PM »
The point is -  that it has been the same for many, many years ('81 -82) excepting. That's when we had a chance to take over. Shall we talk about it?

All clubs have a persona - Spuds and their passing style.?. West Ham Academy, (soft but skilful...) Manure, great players attacking footy. SHA. er..... oh yeah,  "Losers" that's it.

Us, "Nearly Men".

Well done - erudite, insightful and most importantly you actually said it.

50 years I have supported this Club and it has (almost) always been the same.

Question is: I like what we stand for as a Club etc etc but would I want US to have Man City/Chelsea Millions and actually strive to be the very best in terms of winners of silverware? To have players of genuine World Class quality?  Yes I bloody would. I mean Manchester or Liverpool are not a comparitive shangrilar in comparison with Brum is it, so it is not our City.

I feel we deserve to be respected as Winning Club and fifty years later I am still waiting for us to establish ourselves as such . I am fed up of "Fresh Starts" and "Five Year Plans". Docherty, Venglos, O Niel and Rene, etc..

The on going: "We have to re build. Fans must have Patience."  I am patient but might die any minute.

However, to quote you: "The point is "...... we have little Choice. It's the Club we support and unlike the Glory Hunting ( unlike us as Glory HINTING) supporters we are stuck with it -  it seems.

Anyway, Rant over. Good post. Well said. IMHO. But I am supportive of the new regime and of course live in hope.

Up The Villa mate

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »
We had a great opportunity in 08/09 really.

Even last season was a very good opportunity, we were 4th as late as the 37th game when Carew purts us 1 up at Man. City. Who knows we might have done it had the previous manager played Milner as a central midfielder earlier on in the season rather than at Xmas.

I don't expect us to be in the top 4 this season or even challenge for it and it's going to get very difficult once Man. City get in it which I reckon will be this season.

So playing at best for 5th and the domestic cups.

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 08:58:25 PM »

beacuse every bloody interview he says the same thing, as recent as yesterday, talk about self fulfilling prophecies, its a cop out, why not say we heve been 6th for the last 3 seasons i want to improve on that?

On current form that's where we are? he's not going to say were definately gonna finish forth is he? Under promise over deliver and all that?

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 08:59:37 PM »
I've got no problem with Houllier saying 6th - 12 etc.  My problem is with the lack of competition in the premier league.  It is now utterly based on money.  Totally and utterly.

At the moment and as usual, like most teams, we haven't got enough.  In fat we have more than most but not enough.  This effectively means competition is null and void which renders my interest less enthusiastic at best and running on empty at worst. 

Offline Simba

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 09:00:29 PM »
Yeah, Hawkeye. Up the Villa. I will get me wooden rattle out just now. Painted it my self. Nan knitted me scarf. And me bobble hat. I even painted me Doc Martins.

Oh ye of little Faith.  :)

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »
We had a great opportunity in 08/09 really.

Even last season was a very good opportunity, we were 4th as late as the 37th game when Carew purts us 1 up at Man. City. Who knows we might have done it had the previous manager played Milner as a central midfielder earlier on in the season rather than at Xmas.

I don't expect us to be in the top 4 this season or even challenge for it and it's going to get very difficult once Man. City get in it which I reckon will be this season.

So playing at best for 5th and the domestic cups.

No chance for the cups, we =don't score enough goals.  Like WBA, Blues and about 10 other teams. Ace.

Fuck me, this is depressing :)   Good night all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal