collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Petrov  (Read 17942 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Petrov
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »
I would like to see either Ireland or bannan alongside nige-sidwell has had more than enough chances and is not good enough.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 03:13:43 PM »
I not glad he's injured but...
Petrov was bought as an attacking midfielder,but didn't score....

So MON moved him deeper to use his good football brain and decent range of passing(fair enough)

But IMHO he cannot head or tackle or physically dominate an opponent to the level that a team (with Ash,Downing and Albrighton/Ireland) needs(for every goal and assist he has made he has been booked)
So we will be forced to shape the midfield without him

I believe in the long run we will better for it

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »
He's someone I like to have in the squad but that is it. Unfortunately I can see this being the start of the end of Petrovs career here. Firstly Houllier has already installed a new demanding fitness regime. Petrov is already unfit and behind what is demanded of him. Add on another 2 months and a knee injury and it isn't looking to good for him.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 03:23:36 PM »
I would much prefer him not to have been injured and wish him a speedy recovery.  God knows we need all the options at the moment.

However, I think most people agree Petrov isn't a long term midfield option so at least we now have an opportunity to see what the alternatives might be.  In January, when Petrov and hopefully Delph are both fully fit again there could be some interesting selection dilemmas.  Although, given how long he has been out and his inexperience at this level, I reckon we shouldn't count on much from Delph this season.  Some appearances from the bench probably.

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 03:26:36 PM »
I would much prefer him not to have been injured and wish him a speedy recovery.  God knows we need all the options at the moment.

However, I think most people agree Petrov isn't a long term midfield option so at least we now have an opportunity to see what the alternatives might be.  In January, when Petrov and hopefully Delph are both fully fit again there could be some interesting selection dilemmas.  Although, given how long he has been out and his inexperience at this level, I reckon we shouldn't count on much from Delph this season.  Some appearances from the bench probably.

I agree. I think Houllier will go for a midfielder and a striker in January. Someone mentioned he was on 5 Live earlier saying he had 2 targets in mind for January, but most of his dealings would be in the summer. That is understandable. At least it is exciting to know that the manager knows where we have to improve across the field.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 03:29:03 PM »
Delph can't come back quick enough(or not as per the physio)
I bet he wishes they would give the go ahead to start stepping up the training not ease it off

NRC really has to grab this silver lining and really stamp himself into GH's 1stXI
He isn't the greatest midfielder to grace VP but we need his 'interference play' *as a yank might say*

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 03:31:08 PM »
Delph is a young lad for the future though, you can't rush him coming back from such a serious injury. Some players are never the same after being out for so long, so you definitely can't rush his return.

Offline jembob

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 03:31:46 PM »
Perhaps people will begin to appreciate Petrov a bit while he's out of action. In my view he's very under rated however it will be interesting to see Sidwell get a run of games, as he just hasn't had a decent run of games to prove himself for a couple of years. He is however, a scapegoat in waiting and he'll be the first person to blame if anything goes wrong. When we went on our really good run a couple of years ago (away wins at Arse, Everton etc) Sidwell was ever present and on the whole played well. This might just be his opportunity to shine, as he can be a quality player.

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 03:34:39 PM »
How many chances does Sidwell need?

Offline supertom

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 03:36:46 PM »
Hope Stan gets better soon. He's a decent player. He can't help that his legs aren't up to it anymore. At least not for the role he's been player the last 2 years. He can still off something to the club though, undoubtedly, so I wish him a speedy recovery.

Personally, I would play a 3 man midfield with Sidwell and Coker holding, then either Bannan, Ireland or Downing slightly advanced.

Much as Sidwell isn't that good, whenever I see him and Coker play together, it seems to somehow gel together. I think they compliment each other reasonably well as a two. I also think it's probably our only option.

We could perhaps try playing Nigel as a single anchorman, and then Ireland and Bannan ahead of him, but he'd get a bit swamped. Maybe at home it could work.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »
I know there is a 'Kick Racism out of Football', but what about 'Kick Lee Cattermole out of football'? He's a disgrace to the game and he never seems to learn, just keeps making dirty tackles over and over. The FA should just ban him for the next 5 games - that'll teach the twat for injuring players all the time.

As for Petrov, he's improved since Houllier took over as manager. Hopefully he can get back to his 08/09 form... it's a shame we won't have him available for the next few weeks - real bummer.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 03:53:14 PM »
he is a bit of a 'naughty boy'
he has a bit of 'form' as i remember

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 05:02:11 PM »
Perhaps people will begin to appreciate Petrov a bit while he's out of action. In my view he's very under rated however it will be interesting to see Sidwell get a run of games, as he just hasn't had a decent run of games to prove himself for a couple of years. He is however, a scapegoat in waiting and he'll be the first person to blame if anything goes wrong. When we went on our really good run a couple of years ago (away wins at Arse, Everton etc) Sidwell was ever present and on the whole played well. This might just be his opportunity to shine, as he can be a quality player.

My thoughts exactly, Petrov will be missed and we will not keep the ball as well without him.

Sidwell does have a prescence about him on the pitch, and he should get a good run of games now, we're in trouble if him or NRC get injured though, Salifou might have to give up his saturday job in Debenhams.

Offline Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »
I would be happy to give Sidwell a run in the team - for Ged to give him the confidence by saying for the next 2 months you will play - lets see what he can do.

If by then he's still not considered good enough - time to sell and utilise any funds towards the new managers ideas.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 05:33:33 PM »
Sidwell is far more suited to holding and making a nuisance than the role of Box to Box midfielder that MON played him.
We are pretty short of choices, i think we can make 2 holding midfielders and 4 attackers in front work, we aint going to be any where near the top 4 this season whatever

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal