collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by Pat Mustard
[Today at 11:32:58 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by lovejoy
[Today at 11:30:28 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 11:27:43 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by OCD
[Today at 11:13:37 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:12:08 AM]

Olympiacos flights by Des Little
[Today at 11:08:37 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:50:46 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by OCD
[Today at 10:49:19 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by Pat Mustard
[Today at 11:32:58 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by lovejoy
[Today at 11:30:28 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by LeeB
[Today at 11:28:16 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 11:27:43 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 11:24:55 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 11:21:58 AM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by OCD
[Today at 11:13:37 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:12:08 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier thrilled with impact of "blossoming" Reo-Coker  (Read 14968 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: Houllier thrilled with impact of "blossoming" Reo-Coker
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 02:51:57 PM »
He maybe the Captain for the next game, too.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 04:02:48 PM »
To my mind the reason that Reo Coker is looking better is that we've switched to a different style of play so that his limitations that are only to apparent when he's part of a 4-4-2 are minimised and his strengths are maximised. After he recovered from his injury at the end of last season I don't think it would have made much sense to try to change things just to find a place for him.
That's bollocks Chris, as we'll soon see when we go 442 or 433. The difference is he's been told to play a vital role, focus on breaking up play and deliver the ball to our more creative players. You can do that and need it with any formation. Don't you think it's a bit strange since we've finally "switched to a different style of play" and decided to pass the ball, NRC has been our best player? The same NRC that couldn't pass to save his life.

Gary Mac and Sid Cowans deserve medals for what they've done with him, not to mention the money we'll probably save.

He hasn't been our best player, you daft sod. He's done an effective job because he's done as he's told for a change and not tried to pretend he's better than he is. He creates zero, he'll never score but he does break up the play. In a 442 he'd be expected to contribute more and he just isn't up to the job.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2010, 05:27:17 PM »
To my mind the reason that Reo Coker is looking better is that we've switched to a different style of play so that his limitations that are only to apparent when he's part of a 4-4-2 are minimised and his strengths are maximised. After he recovered from his injury at the end of last season I don't think it would have made much sense to try to change things just to find a place for him.
That's bollocks Chris, as we'll soon see when we go 442 or 433. The difference is he's been told to play a vital role, focus on breaking up play and deliver the ball to our more creative players. You can do that and need it with any formation. Don't you think it's a bit strange since we've finally "switched to a different style of play" and decided to pass the ball, NRC has been our best player? The same NRC that couldn't pass to save his life.

Gary Mac and Sid Cowans deserve medals for what they've done with him, not to mention the money we'll probably save.

He hasn't been our best player, you daft sod. He's done an effective job because he's done as he's told for a change and not tried to pretend he's better than he is. He creates zero, he'll never score but he does break up the play. In a 442 he'd be expected to contribute more and he just isn't up to the job.
If he hasn't been our best player since the arrival of GH, I'd like to know who has. Have you not noticed the Downing 'wimp' references have suddenly dried up, not because he's become a hard tackling midfielder but because of the work NRC has done, allowing Downing to get on with his main job. To say he creates nothing is also ridiculous. Sure, he's not the most creative player, we have plenty better but he still contibutes, at least in driving forward before passing on to the likes of Downing and Ashley. Don't be too disappointed if one day he scores.

As for him not being good enough to play in a 442, I can't how we can play without him, not if you want to keep Downing in the side. We know full well Downing struggles to get back and support Luke Young, at least with Reo in there, he'll provide some cover.

You're right that NRC "does what he's told (for a change)". It's it refreshing to have coaches that understand his and the team's strengths and weaknesses. To think that we'd paid £8m for a promising 22 year old and we were so close to letting him go for next to nothing, not to mention failing miserably to develop that raw talent. I hope one day you'll start appreciating it too. I some how doubt it though. You and Greg have too much in common. He's you in negative.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2010, 06:44:15 PM »
In your consistent attempts to prove to the world that you're the great lost footballing coach you're obliged to try to over play his part and make out that somehow our management team have now cottoned on to something that only you were privy to. Problem is, it's bollocks. In a 442 his limitations are glaringly obvious but as long as we continue to play in this way then he'll do a fine job until we can upgrade to someone better who can do the donkey work that he does but also contribute a bit more when we're in possession.

If you are going to argue that he creates then can you give a few examples of his assists?

Downing is a better player this season because he's had a full pre season, just as most people predicted, and he's been our best player since Houllier arrived, closely followed by Heskey and Young (when played in the middle).

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2010, 07:09:21 PM »
In your consistent attempts to prove to the world that you're the great lost footballing coach you're obliged to try to over play his part and make out that somehow our management team have now cottoned on to something that only you were privy to. Problem is, it's bollocks.
Don't talk bollocks, Chris. Our new management team took less than a nano-second to see what we could all see was missing. Houllier came in and immediately put NRC in the middle. The big difference is, when you have coaches to explain the role you want a player to play, you see the results. It was something we sadly lacked under MON, who like your good self, gives little importance to tactics. Instead you blame NRC of not listening to the previous manager and coaches. And that is based on what evidence?

In a 442 his limitations are glaringly obvious but as long as we continue to play in this way then he'll do a fine job until we can upgrade to someone better who can do the donkey work that he does but also contribute a bit more when we're in possession.
Let's see what his limitations are now under GH in a 442. Everything before is history. Lions led by donkeys. NRC, like every player in the team, can be upgraded but I'd be interested to know who you would play today in the middle of a 442. Sidwell? Bannan? Downing?

If you are going to argue that he creates then can you give a few examples of his assists?

Downing is a better player this season because he's had a full pre season, just as most people predicted, and he's been our best player since Houllier arrived, closely followed by Heskey and Young (when played in the middle).
I'll have a look for you. It doesn't necessarily have to be an assist, just an important contribution to the play, something I'm sure he's done several times in the last few games.
Yes Downing has benefited from a full pre-season but I'd still argue that NRC has just edged him since Houllier has come in. Heskey has also greatly improved these last few games although how you can say Ashley is also up there, is beyond me. My guess is you just don't like NRC and no matter what he does, you'll just never forgive him.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
My guess is you just don't like NRC and no matter what he does, you'll just never forgive him.

It's not a question of liking or disliking, it's recognising hin for what he is; an average player but an above average athlete.

I'd be interested to know who you would play today in the middle of a 442. Sidwell? Bannan? Downing?

None of them, I wouldn't try it with the players we currently have. My initial point was that Reo Coker has benefited from the new system we've almost been obliged to play by the sale of Barry and failure to replace him. Not that I'm saying it's a bad thing as we clearly need to freshen things up. I don't think he's good enough for a 442 with teams with ambitions at the higher end of the league but might do a job for Blackburn.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 07:06:43 PM »
NRC isn't the greatest midfielder to grace VP
but we need his tigerish attitude and willingness to shield the defence

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 07:24:39 PM »
Well that "average player" by your own admittance, is doing "a fine job" and long may it continue.

I'm not sure about "the sale of Barry and the failure to replace him". When we had Barry alongside Petrov, the opposition would waltz through the centre of the park at will, it was also an area that we never used, what with everything going out to Ashley on the wing. Teams can no longer do that, thanks mainly to NRC and we've certainly been using all areas of the pitch to attack, which is encouraging. The other thing is we are no longer 'bullied' in midfield, a term I recall you also using earlier this season. All this in part thanks to our "average player".

My concern now is with the loss of Petrov and the added responsibility for NRC. He really needs to stick to the plan, keep on doing what he's been doing so well and not decide to take on too much. Houllier has a major headache in reshaping the side without Stan and with those dirty bastards from down the road heading to Villa Park on Sunday, I for one will at least be happy we have NRC in the side.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 07:32:05 PM »
NRC is like having a new signing.

He's been very good, and his passing has improved.

I really hope GH & Gary Mc can have the same impression on Sidwells attittude & performance.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 07:44:04 PM »
Well that "average player" by your own admittance, is doing "a fine job" and long may it continue.

I'm not sure about "the sale of Barry and the failure to replace him". When we had Barry alongside Petrov, the opposition would waltz through the centre of the park at will, it was also an area that we never used, what with everything going out to Ashley on the wing. Teams can no longer do that, thanks mainly to NRC and we've certainly been using all areas of the pitch to attack, which is encouraging. The other thing is we are no longer 'bullied' in midfield, a term I recall you also using earlier this season. All this in part thanks to our "average player".

My concern now is with the loss of Petrov and the added responsibility for NRC. He really needs to stick to the plan, keep on doing what he's been doing so well and not decide to take on too much. Houllier has a major headache in reshaping the side without Stan and with those dirty bastards from down the road heading to Villa Park on Sunday, I for one will at least be happy we have NRC in the side.

Sorry, Mark, meant "the sale of Milner". His energy and talent allowed us to play 442 last season, I don't think we've got anyone to match that and I just don't see any combination of the central midfield players we have being right at the moment.

I mean average in what he can do with the ball, he's not a complete duffer but without his physical attributes it would not be good enough for a Premier League team.

I too worry about the loss of Petrov because coupled with the ineffectiveness of Ireland we're looking a little thin there. This is where managers earn their money and hopefully we can treat it as an opportunity rather than a problem.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2010, 08:12:05 PM »
It was probably more to do with Bolton's suicidal tactics on the day but last season a midfield two of NRC and Sidwell in the centre played a big part in one of our best performances of the campaign.

NRC has been very good this season, even causing mayhem in the opposition third when he breaks forward. It's rare that a player primarily in the side to break up play can do that, but it's an asset he has. It hasn't been utilised properly in the past. Pretty much like NRC himself, in fact. He doesn't necessarily have to play the last pass in a move to justify his role in the side and changing the momentum in the way he can with those bursts forward can be just as crucial re: chance creation. If his passing was just a wee bit more incisive he'd be a £15-20 million player. As it is, he's still plenty good enough for us - and was last season too.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 08:24:20 PM »
How can anyone confuse "the sale of Barry" for "the sale of Milner"? Unless they are

A) insane,

B) under the influence of multiple illegal substances

or

C) have a bizarre form of dyslexia?

In jest, sirs, in jest.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 09:02:22 PM »
If his passing was just a wee bit more incisive he'd be a £15-20 million player.

KG, his passing has greatly improved as you can see below. The other interesting fact is the vast majority of his passes are forward, rather than sideways or back.What he does, he does very well:

Sunderland game: 23 passes...20 successful
Chelsea game: 24 passes...22 successful
Spurs game: 45 passes...39 successful
Wolves game: 23 passes...19 successful

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 09:06:14 PM »
If his passing was just a wee bit more incisive he'd be a £15-20 million player.

KG, his passing has greatly improved as you can see below. The other interesting fact is the vast majority of his passes are forward, rather than sideways or back.What he does, he does very well:

Sunderland game: 23 passes...20 successful
Chelsea game: 24 passes...22 successful
Spurs game: 45 passes...39 successful
Wolves game: 23 passes...19 successful

I think the figures show that he doesn't make enough passes. Su
How can anyone confuse "the sale of Barry" for "the sale of Milner"? Unless they are

A) insane,

or

In jest, sirs, in jest.

Right first time.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 09:07:18 PM »

A) insane,

In defence of Chris, Prozac is not illegal and there's nothing wrong with his spelling.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal