collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa: Maradona or Pele?  (Read 13322 times)

Offline taylorsworkrate

Re: 0% Villa: Maradona or Pele?
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2010, 01:54:19 AM »
I personally think Messi will become better than both. (he's very close as it stands).  Villa aside, there aren't many things about the current game of football that interest me, Lionel Messi is a massive exception to this. 

I agree with the calls for Zidane to be mentioned aswell.  He always seemed to have so much time and space on the ball, he was an artist with it at his feet.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2010, 12:28:17 PM »
I've voted Pele. 2nd only to Charlie Athersmith

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2010, 04:15:25 AM »
Diego.

1.  Putting Napoli on the world football map
2.  1986 World Cup
3.  Juggling a golf ball (he probably could juggle Pele too)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2010, 09:10:55 AM »
Always difficult comparing players of different eras, but when I'm asked I answer that Cruyff was the best footballer I ever saw. Havin only ever seen them all on TV it's difficult to judge it:
- Pele was part of a magical team that reinforced football as the beautiful game ... although even in the 1960's and 1970's the Brazilians could be pretty cynical. And Pele was also the darling of the British media for the 'gladatorial' encounters with Bobby Moore.
- Maradona won the WC almost single-handedly and scored one of the best-ever goals. He also conquered Europe as a club player.
- Cruyff was part of something bigger; a 'movement' almost, which changed the way that the game is played. Yes, he played with some great players around him (as did Pele) but he called the tune.

It's Cruyff for me; but closely followed by Diego. Pele was a player of his time - the other two are timeless.

Offline Namaste

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2010, 11:18:03 AM »
Pele has a phenomenal goalscoring record however Maradona was tested in more than one league so edges it for me.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2010, 11:22:56 AM »
Pele, the first to be great is the most important in history. Same as we claim about the Villa.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2010, 11:23:36 AM »
Pele has a phenomenal goalscoring record however Maradona was tested in more than one league so edges it for me.

He was tested in lots of ways, failed a fair few of them as well *winky*

Offline Namaste

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2010, 11:26:07 AM »
Haha...have you read El Diego? I've always loved the guy as a player and found his autobiography really interesting.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2010, 12:01:31 PM »
Diego Maradona, Ben Johnson; Ben Johnson, Diego Maradona.

Not that I'm at all bitter.

Offline Jonny Recession

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2010, 03:37:26 PM »
Straying from the topic but Brazilian Ronald has to be the best striker I have ever seen and will ever see live. At the top of his game he was unplayable

Offline enigma

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »
Straying from the topic but Brazilian Ronald has to be the best striker I have ever seen and will ever see live. At the top of his game he was unplayable

Agreed. His goalscoring record at Barca was ridiculous. He was only there for one season but that was his absolute peak for me.

On a similar note to the main topic, we should have been talking about Ronaldinho in the same breath as Pele and Maradona. For about three seasons he was phenomenal and probably better than Zidane until the partying got in the way. Whereas Zidane was able to sustain his form over his career Ronaldinho faded badly. Such a shame though, he did things I've never seen any other player do.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal