collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by chrisw1
[Today at 03:32:08 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:08:36 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:04:08 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 02:54:38 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 02:33:46 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by chrisw1
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 02:25:16 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Will cuts affect you and Villa?  (Read 7825 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Will cuts affect you and Villa?
« on: October 21, 2010, 03:04:39 AM »
Listening to the massive cuts to the civil service and police numbers i was wondering how this affects the average supporter.
Will any of this site be affected and what will be the affect on football be in general?

Offline VillaZogmariner

Re: Will cuts affect you and Villa?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 03:09:47 AM »
I think the biggest effect will be supporter attendance. As these cuts and inevitable job losses take it's toll less people will have the disposable income to be able to afford to go and watch football, especially at the ridiculously high prices they are nowadays. (And it's not just football that is over priced I'd like to add).

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 04:39:40 AM »
Inevitably, I would say. The last time things were as bad as this in the WM was probably early 1980's, which happened to co-incide with our must successful spell on the pitch (arguably) ever. Attendences dipped then and most likely will again, as people look to cut back on the non-essentials. Back then I think it was around 1-2 quid to watch from the Holte - not sure how that would compare in today's prices, but as a guess, I'd say it would have been relatively cheaper to watch back then. It won't be just Villa either.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 08:46:07 AM »
As far as football goes, I would be happy to see the whole industry go bust.
But the stadiums, fans and players with talent in their feet would still be there.
The game would soon start up again in some form, minus Sky, minus the money men, minus all the hangers on etc etc.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 08:57:07 AM »
2 Season Ticket holders in my house (not me though) are civil servants. It's a case of waiting to see what happens job-wise I guess.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 09:25:41 AM »
2 Season Ticket holders in my house (not me though) are civil servants. It's a case of waiting to see what happens job-wise I guess.

Same here, but my department as mentioned in the speech yesterday has been "ring-fenced" so here's hoping

UTV
The Doc

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 09:29:11 AM »
How about the club taking a hit like the rest of us and cutting prices by 20% next season?

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 09:50:43 AM »
Back then I think it was around 1-2 quid to watch from the Holte - not sure how that would compare in today's prices, but as a guess, I'd say it would have been relatively cheaper to watch back then.

£1 in 1980 is worth £3.20 today. Ticket prices have massively outstripped inflation.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 09:58:15 AM »
I would agree with Chico have a 20% cut in prices next season.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 10:11:37 AM »
How about the club taking a hit like the rest of us and cutting prices by 20% next season?

Nice thought although if they did I suspect that like any other business losing revenue they'd look to make savings elsewhere and it won't be on players wages it will be by getting rid of ticket office staff, grounds men and general low level lackeys.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 10:16:51 AM »

Nice thought although if they did I suspect that like any other business losing revenue they'd look to make savings elsewhere and it won't be on players wages it will be by getting rid of ticket office staff, grounds men and general low level lackeys.
Yet we're still told that the private sector will expand to make up for the shortfall in public sector jobs.

Utter bollocks.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 10:23:51 AM »
Be great If everyone would stop having Sky ..  Problem is more people sign up to Sky as they have no money to go out and still want to be entertained at home....   

Im noticing it already with my business, the recession was good for me as everyone was starting to take notice of the price of product and realising the big commercial retail stores were not as cheap , when they had to start cutting back and save money. But its getting really quiet and that is coming from a lot of other businesses I know..  It is that time of year when I do go a little quiet pre-christmas etc but It doesnt sound good out there...

For me , I have already given up season tickets and will cut my games down even further. The commercial loan and Tax has to be paid . I know villa can keep me awake sometimes but those two definetely do If I dont pay them..

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 11:01:15 AM »
Personally, as long as I keep my job (luckily I am private sector but a lot of our contracts are with the public sector so fingers crossed and all that), I will probably go to more Villa matches as they discount the prices to get the crowds up a bit.

One thing I have noticed with Tamworth though, we have been warned that some of our games against the bigger teams will have to be moved to Friday nights or Sunday if they clash with Stoke, Port Vale and Burton games, Staffs Police reckon they won't have the numbers to police more than two games at a time.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 11:10:54 AM »
Personally, as long as I keep my job (luckily I am private sector but a lot of our contracts are with the public sector so fingers crossed and all that), I will probably go to more Villa matches as they discount the prices to get the crowds up a bit.

One thing I have noticed with Tamworth though, we have been warned that some of our games against the bigger teams will have to be moved to Friday nights or Sunday if they clash with Stoke, Port Vale and Burton games, Staffs Police reckon they won't have the numbers to police more than two games at a time.

That'll be the cutbacks in overtime.

Personally, if my local non-league team played on a Friday I'd go more often. As it is I tend to be following the Villa (when Sky havent shifted the games). However, I understand that probably places me in the minority. It will be a shame if smaller clubs suffer as a result.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 11:14:49 AM »
I earn less now, running my own business and all the money going back into it to keep the employees getting paid, than I have for about 15 years. I struggled a bit to find the money for my ST this year and almost certainly will next season, barring something extraordinary happening work-wise.

My Mrs works in the public sector and her job is under threat. If she loses it, then there's no chance whatsoever I'll have my ST next year.

Mind you, if she loses it, I'm going to have to take more money out of the business, which will mean losing at least one and possibly two employees here, so the fact I can't afford a season ticket will be the last of my worries.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal