collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ferguson turned down Villa job.  (Read 14045 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Ferguson turned down Villa job.
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2010, 01:32:44 PM »
I can't stand the dour bastard but I wouldn't even to try to argue that he wasn't one of the very best managers of all time. Yes, he's had some advanatges but to keep doing it, to keep the desire and hunger to build new teams and win more tropies at a time when most are looking to put their feet up is truly remarkable. That he won 3 successive league titles while Abramovich was shelling out at Chelsea speaks volumes.

However, I'm pretty sure that Doug would have managed to knock the ambition out of him given the chance.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2010, 02:00:26 PM »
That he won 3 successive league titles while Abramovich was shelling out at Chelsea speaks volumes.

This might be the achievement that tops the lot for me.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2010, 02:48:47 PM »
John e, you're having a 'mare mate, do yourself a favour and retire gracefully while you still have a tiny amount of credulity left!

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2010, 03:43:50 PM »

Have to agree with john e, he is a good manager, possibly great, but i could have been at Old Trafford.

Biggest club in the world, probably, biggest fan base, biggest turnover.

For them to ONLY win the European Cup in the time he has been there suggests he is'nt that great to me.

In the 80s, 9 teams won the league in a decade, only 4 teams have ever won the Prem.Only 3 can probably win it this year.For years they bought the lge, when only Arse were true rivals.

Good ...yes, Great.....not sure.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2010, 05:17:35 PM »
I remember us stuffing them 3-0 on Boxing Day 1989 and the away end shouting "Fergie must go".

I wish they had got their way.

If we had played Oldham on grass we might have won the Cup and he might have got the boot. He's still undeniably a great manager. Don't overlook what he achieved at Aberdeen either. Other than a brief flourish from Dundee United no other buggers have been close to the Bigotted Two since.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »

Have to agree with john e, he is a good manager, possibly great, but i could have been at Old Trafford.

For them to ONLY win the European Cup in the time he has been there suggests he is'nt that great to me.

In the 80s, 9 teams won the league in a decade, only 4 teams have ever won the Prem.Only 3 can probably win it this year.For years they bought the lge, when only Arse were true rivals.

The biggest chink in his armour ability to stand alongside the greats has been his European Cup record.  Only 2 wins after continual qualification for the last 20 odd seasons.  He's been continually found out by the very best coaches tactically in that time and several United fans I know actually wanted rid of him about 6 or 7 years ago because they felt with all the inbuilt advantages he's benefited from over the last decade then a return of 2 European Cups was very poor.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2010, 06:19:01 PM »

In the 80s, 4 teams won the league, us, Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal. I don't get the 9 teams comment?

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2010, 07:13:55 PM »

Think i got my facts wrong, i thought 8/9 teams had won the lge in the 80s......got it wrong, what a plonker.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2010, 07:25:09 PM »
That he won 3 successive league titles while Abramovich was shelling out at Chelsea speaks volumes.

This might be the achievement that tops the lot for me.

And a European Cup.

Best manager of all time in my view. I think he might jack it in at the end of the season though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal