collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier's presence  (Read 35369 times)

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
Re: Houllier's presence
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2010, 04:54:15 PM »
the big thing for me is, can he bring in any young french players, who will be the next big thing at Villa, i really hope so.

Why just French?  I don't want him predominantly buying from France - how would that be any different than MON looking at the UK only? 

They'll speak French?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2010, 04:59:11 PM »
True John, but it would stand to reason he'd know the best young up and coming players in his home country rather than Germany or Denmark for example.

French players seem to come with more parts too, even defensive midfield players have a decent degree of technical ability,  can control a ball under pressure and play a straightforward pass.  Whereas their English counterparts might be very good at one specific thing ie.  destroying/breaking up play but can be quite weak at everything else.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2010, 06:51:49 PM »
the big thing for me is, can he bring in any young french players, who will be the next big thing at Villa, i really hope so.

Why just French?  I don't want him predominantly buying from France - how would that be any different than MON looking at the UK only?  What we need is a comprehensive scouting and recruitment policy so we can get the best available talent, no matter where it is from!

like you i dont mind where he finds them,
but as kevin gage has already said, Houllier worked at the French academy for the last 3 years, it stands to reason he might have spotted some up and coming talent just because thats what he's been doing for the last few years.

its a good bet he will buy some French players in my view, but i realy wont mind where they come from just as long as they are quality

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2010, 07:13:15 PM »
I am liking all the things Houlier seems to be saying to the media etc , and really like the man in interviews..   A big plus from me so far...     

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2010, 11:05:17 PM »
I just want us to look for players in the biggest pool we possibly can - regardless of nationality, I want us to get the best players we can.

I get the impression that under Houllier we will do. I never got that impression from MON.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2010, 12:49:22 AM »
GH seems, to me, to be utterly relaxed in his new job. Given that we have one of the best chairman, one of the best training facilities, a good selection of youth and a very decent squad to work with, he's certainly got the right tools to work with. And, from his comments about not realising how big we were, I'd say that's come as a very pleasant surprise to him.

Given the pressure he was under at both Liverpool and in France, Villa would likely seem a place where he can 'do his thing' without the massive stress. Yes, the fans and the board will have expectations, but I think those expectations, in the medium term at least, are achievable. At Liverpool, the expectation is Alex Ferguson-esque and totally out of proportion to what is actually do-able.

I think, and dearly hope, that Houllier plus a quality backroom staff minus the enormous pressure equals happy times for Aston Villa.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2010, 09:45:28 AM »
if he gives us the same sort of progression he made at liverpool, then that would be amazing...

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2010, 10:33:58 AM »
True John, but it would stand to reason he'd know the best young up and coming players in his home country rather than Germany or Denmark for example.

French players seem to come with more parts too, even defensive midfield players have a decent degree of technical ability,  can control a ball under pressure and play a straightforward pass.  Whereas their English counterparts might be very good at one specific thing ie.  destroying/breaking up play but can be quite weak at everything else.

Well, I'm not sure I agree with your generalisation of French players, but agree he has knowledge there and should capitalise on that by sweeping up the best of their young talent first.  Is that anything all that different to what MON did with Milner, Ash, etc.?

But after that I want us to cast a wide net and not be overly focused on any one single market.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2010, 07:55:21 PM »
GH seems, to me, to be utterly relaxed in his new job. Given that we have one of the best chairman, one of the best training facilities, a good selection of youth and a very decent squad to work with, he's certainly got the right tools to work with. And, from his comments about not realising how big we were, I'd say that's come as a very pleasant surprise to him.

Given the pressure he was under at both Liverpool and in France, Villa would likely seem a place where he can 'do his thing' without the massive stress. Yes, the fans and the board will have expectations, but I think those expectations, in the medium term at least, are achievable. At Liverpool, the expectation is Alex Ferguson-esque and totally out of proportion to what is actually do-able.

I think, and dearly hope, that Houllier plus a quality backroom staff minus the enormous pressure equals happy times for Aston Villa.

Good post, I'd like to see all that come to fruition. I think we've replaced one good manager with another*. As long as we continue to do that in the future and they build on the good things their predecessor did we'll be fine.

*Note to any illiterate nutters who might be reading, just to make things simple for them: Me holding the opinion that MON and GH are good managers does not mean I worship or idolize them, or will follow them blindly into any local burning buildings.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:30:33 PM by Percy »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal