collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier's presence  (Read 35253 times)

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
Houllier's presence
« on: October 17, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
Just a snippet that I was told yesterday by a senior club official.

Gerard Houllier has spent more time around Villa Park in the last month than O'Neill did all the time that he was here.

Houllier had also remarked to another mate of mine that he had not realised just how big the club actually was.

It all equates to someone being happy in their job. Let us hope that the long awaited transfer window sees some progress.   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:22:01 AM by dave clark five »

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
Re: Houllier's presence
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 11:58:20 AM »
I think we seem to have a feel good factor around the club, Houllier seems to be doing all the right things.

I for one am very impressed with him so far.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 12:18:03 PM »
Me too. He has made all the right noises since he arrived. Bringing him in was a great piece of business.

Offline eastie

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 12:22:25 PM »
Apparently according to phil Thompson houllier is a workaholic and often puts in 16 hrs a day working on club business and is a total pro , what a difference to o neill who rarely even bothered to turn up at training sessions and was an aloof character.

I am so pleased to have a man of gerards knowledge at our club, by all accounts he is like a football encyclopedia and knows so much about teams , players and leagues all over Europe, a truly great appointment.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:29:24 PM »
As one who was underwhelmed by his appointment, I have to say so far,so good. I like his general approach and he seems to be tactically aware. I really hope this one works out-we need it to.
Pretty much every manager at Villa gets off to a good start but we now need some long-term stability or short term success.
I thought MON and Villa were a match made in heaven and it turned out to be more a marriage of convenience. I would like this one to last and (re-)establish a lasting dynasty with good owners, great youth academy, 1st class facilities, loyal fans and an exciting team that players are keen to play in.
Not much to ask is it?

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 12:40:18 PM »
As one who was underwhelmed by his appointment, I have to say so far,so good. I like his general approach and he seems to be tactically aware. I really hope this one works out-we need it to.

I was also a little underwhelmed when we appointed Houllier but I have to say that I've really warmed to him.  He seems to genuinely enjoy his job and most importantly he has a plan B.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 12:57:29 PM »
liking what i am seeing so far... obviously the big test will be when he gets to bring in his own players, but so far, so good...

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 01:10:59 PM »
Thing that makes you realise he's a good manager is the little things like yesterday when Dunne went off, you expected Cuellar but no he brought on a left sided player and it was the right decision.

You know under mon it would have been cuellar, he does things you do not expect and I like it

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 01:11:36 PM »
I think that MON was following the system of Clough, as in make yourself scarce and when you do appear, you put the fear of God into everybody.
That just doesn't work in the modern game, added to the fact that he hasn't got 1% of Clough's ability or personality.

Offline eastie

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 01:26:45 PM »
Perfect analysis 8 ace fletcher!

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 01:55:42 PM »
Apparently according to phil Thompson houllier is a workaholic and often puts in 16 hrs a day working on club business and is a total pro , what a difference to o neill who rarely even bothered to turn up at training sessions and was an aloof character.

I am so pleased to have a man of gerards knowledge at our club, by all accounts he is like a football encyclopedia and knows so much about teams , players and leagues all over Europe, a truly great appointment.

Houllier is also a master at sports psychology.  He is truly an intellectual with class.  Lerner made the right move.  He is definitely an improvement over MON.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 02:03:12 PM »
It's just a small thing, but when the team coach arrives Gerard looks round at the crowd and smiles. O'Neill, and almost every away manager, either looks blankly ahead or ignores everyone. Maybe Gez, at his age and with his history, knows there are more important things then me me me.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 02:06:43 PM »
I think there's a huge amount of novelty for him, he can't quite believe he's managing in the Premier League again. Let's hope he doesn't get stressed/antsy when the honeymoon finishes and he's under a bit of pressure.

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 02:14:06 PM »
He's impressed me off the field and yesterday on it. Such a difference in
ball retention and passing and movement already, and this against a good chelsea side..bodes well I think...

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 02:24:08 PM »
We've looked very good so far but its far too soon to say he's better or worse than MON. The crowd reaction to him seems a bit odd at the moment, a kind of respectful acknowledgment of him rather than thinking 'he's one of us' like was the case from the off with MON and then for most of his tenure.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal