collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Richard Dunne.  (Read 15645 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Richard Dunne.
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2010, 06:17:25 PM »
Dunne needs a wake up call, a kick up the arse and a treadmill strapped to him for two weeks and his pie arm tied behind his back. He's brilliant on his day, but he's just not at the races.

Carlos has been very, very unfortunate. He was brilliant against Wolves. It was a Laursenesque display. He should come back in the side.

I seriously don't see what Dunne can offer us right now with his form and fitness. Vocal? I'd argue that Collins does that very well. He's a worthy skipper in his own right.

Offline Deano58

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2010, 03:58:25 AM »
As a City fan I thought I'd come on here to find out how you were going on with Dunne and Ireland. Seems Dunnie has split opinion here as he did at City. Sometimes hero, sometimes villain. For what it's worth we reached the conclusion that Dunnie's great strength was making last ditch tackles when our backs were against the wall in our own 18 yard box. When he began to struggle was when we were pushing up and he was left near the halfway line, back to goal, with fast forwards running at him. Many of us also reckoned the own goals were as a result of the fact that he was usually the one trying to clear the danger in front of goal. As for his figure, that's exactly what we said but he can't half shift for a big man when he gets the momentum up.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2010, 05:10:40 AM »
As a City fan I thought I'd come on here to find out how you were going on with Dunne and Ireland. Seems Dunnie has split opinion here as he did at City. Sometimes hero, sometimes villain. For what it's worth we reached the conclusion that Dunnie's great strength was making last ditch tackles when our backs were against the wall in our own 18 yard box. When he began to struggle was when we were pushing up and he was left near the halfway line, back to goal, with fast forwards running at him. Many of us also reckoned the own goals were as a result of the fact that he was usually the one trying to clear the danger in front of goal. As for his figure, that's exactly what we said but he can't half shift for a big man when he gets the momentum up.

Hi Deano

Dunne was excellent last season, not only defensively, but also as a leadership figure.  The main problem I, and a lot of Villa fans have, is that this season he came back in an unacceptable physical condition. He looked like he spent all summer on the guinness and pies.  His first few games were shoddy at best and downright pathetic at worst (Newcastle away). He is very lucky not to have been dropped.  His performance at Sunderland was better, (besides the own goal) but he still has a long way to go to get back to last seasons form.

As for Ireland.  He was played out of position for his first few games and has been quiet on the whole.  He is  very talented and i'm sure in the near future he will start displaying that.  He does get into some excellent areas but at present he doesn't seem to be on quite the same wavelength as our other attacking players.  I'm sure that will come in time.

Now as i've very graciously answered your question, perhaps you can confirm that Milner is not fitting in and we can have him back next summer for a third of the price.

If you could be so kind.  ;)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2010, 08:51:10 AM »
The way that Cuellar and Clark looked on Wednesday, Dunne is destined to be a subb for a while.

Offline Deano58

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2010, 09:51:54 AM »

Hi Deano

Dunne was excellent last season, not only defensively, but also as a leadership figure.  The main problem I, and a lot of Villa fans have, is that this season he came back in an unacceptable physical condition. He looked like he spent all summer on the guinness and pies.  His first few games were shoddy at best and downright pathetic at worst (Newcastle away). He is very lucky not to have been dropped.  His performance at Sunderland was better, (besides the own goal) but he still has a long way to go to get back to last seasons form.

As for Ireland.  He was played out of position for his first few games and has been quiet on the whole.  He is  very talented and i'm sure in the near future he will start displaying that.  He does get into some excellent areas but at present he doesn't seem to be on quite the same wavelength as our other attacking players.  I'm sure that will come in time.

Now as i've very graciously answered your question, perhaps you can confirm that Milner is not fitting in and we can have him back next summer for a third of the price.

If you could be so kind.  ;)
Personally, I try not to judge a player too early. Second season is usually a more reliable guide. So far milner's failed to shine so who knows ? As for ireland, the 5% comment was about right. A truly gifted player and, if he can get his head right, he's a bargain at what you paid. Strange bloke though and hard to fathom.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »
Personally, I try not to judge a player too early. Second season is usually a more reliable guide. So far milner's failed to shine so who knows ?
I can't work out why he is being played out wide. The form that made you pay so much money was him playing solely through the centre.

Offline Deano58

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2010, 07:02:22 PM »
No, we can't work that one out either. Probably has something to do with trying to accomodate and assimilate all the signings.

As everyone said when we started buying, you can't just buy a team you have to find out formations, relationships etc. Money only buys you the raw materials. The rest takes time as we saw today.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal