collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Richard Dunne.  (Read 15694 times)

Offline Blackcountry Villa

Re: Richard Dunne.
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 06:36:23 PM »
8 own goals = clumsy, error-prone defender.

Go on a diet you big clumsy oaf. Play Cuellar ffs!

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 06:40:51 PM »
I've said it a billion times before, and if I have to I'll say it a billion times again... Cuellar is better than Dunne and the Cuellar-Collins partnership works the best! Houiller has got to play Cuellar next week against the scum... plz.

I don't think that the Cuellar -Collins partnership is the best.  But I do think Cuellar should be in the team, and Dunne's performances have been going downhill since March.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 06:45:20 PM »
Playing well at Wolves is not performing consistently.

A definition of performing consistently - Dunne and Collins last season

Would say it is a total coincidence that Cuellar's absence from the right back spot this season has seen us drop points

the Dunne Collins partnership looked pretty rock solid to me today. Darren Bent didnt have a kick. Beye is good in the air too looks like we could have a big decision at right back though Luke Young is out for another bit I think. Friedel being stuck to his line at all times when the ball is in the air and Warnock are bigger issues. Thought Warnock was decent against Chelsea last week but he was back to his very worst today. Whatever about Dunne, he certaintly doesnt look fit.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2010, 02:52:19 AM »
Cuellar was excellent against Wolves. His best game for the club and has been unlucky to be dropped. BUT it was Wolves. Collins and Dunne have been superb centre halves for Villa for an entire season, we conceded 39 goals last season the best under MON and possibly for a long time if I bothered doing the research. Cuellar has been a disappointment at this club to be honest, next to Laursen when he first came he struggled and Davies got in. Next to Davies or Knight he continued to struggle. I dont see how Cuellar is an improvement on Dunne on the ball. Neither of them are great with the ball. To be fair I think Dunne and Collins have earned the right to be our centre half pairing. It seems to be the way Houllier sees it too.

I really disagree that Cuellar has been a disappointment.  He impresses me every time he plays Centre Back.  Obviously not great with the ball but pure defending wise, one of the best in the country imo.   His playing at right back was much debated, but he did the job required from him and did it well. 

Dunne was immense last year, no doubt about it.  It does not excuse his performances and more importantly the incredibly poor physical state he got himself into to for the start of the season. We have looked a lot more secure when Dunne hasn't played this season.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2010, 03:05:49 AM »

Its only one for us, the same as Cuellar.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2010, 04:22:24 AM »
I don't think he's been the same player since the Cup Final.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2010, 06:01:04 AM »

Its only one for us, the same as Cuellar.
Blackburn at home on the final day of the season, and yesterday.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2010, 10:17:07 AM »
Dunne played pretty well yesterday, own goal aside, and helped snuff out any threat from Bent.

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 10:30:12 AM »
I think people are being way too hard on him, however it's time for Cuellar to be given a chance now. He hasn't had a proper run at centre back since that bloom who used to manage us signed him. If he is dropped it would be a great sign that Houllier means business and is fair towards all the players unlike that bloke who used to manage us.

Offline jibba81

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2010, 10:41:47 AM »
My problem with Richard Dunne this season, fitness aside, is that he seems to have a highly inflated sense of his own value to the team. Our last three goals seem to me to have been conceded due to Dunne's lack of faith in Collins (the superior player this season!). Both goals against Spurs were conceded when Dunne was drawn towards the Crouch and Collins duel, when he should've been defending the knock downs that VDV took advantage of. Yesterday, he should really have known that Collins was in the better position to clear for a corner. Perhaps Collins didn't give him the shout, but I swear Dunne just thinks he's Bruce fucking Willis half the time.

He brought a sense of commitment and responsibility to our defence when we were lacking in those attributes, but now he is becoming more and more of a liability and our third best centre back if we're being kind.

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2010, 10:51:06 AM »
You're being very harsh, though some elements are true. He's going through a bad run off form. I'm sure it will be back soon. I do believe Cuellar needs to replace him though and let's see how he fares.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2010, 10:55:33 AM »
The fatness is a concern, you'd hope it's being addressed.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2010, 11:01:51 AM »
They just showed all 8 own goals on SSN, I bet Dunney must have been delighted to see them all again

Offline jibba81

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »
You're being very harsh, though some elements are true. He's going through a bad run off form. I'm sure it will be back soon. I do believe Cuellar needs to replace him though and let's see how he fares.

Perhaps being dropped would give him a much needed reality check and he would return to the form that he showed when he turned up and stake a claim to get back in the first team, but I won't be holding my breath.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2010, 12:18:01 PM »
If a less popular player than him had made the mistake in the cup final they'd have been hung out to dry. Too error-prone in my view, drop him

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal