collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Clark Vs Cuellar  (Read 13629 times)

Offline mattjpa

Re: Clark Vs Cuellar
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 03:19:10 PM »
im pleased that clark got a chance. the less obvious choice can be the better one sometimes and decisions like that will prob prevent the usual january collapse--we need more fringe players being used and nearer the first team so that when called upon they dont look like rabbits in the headlights.

Offline supertom

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 03:45:08 PM »
Cueller was immense against Wolves. Getting dropped for Dunne was very strange IMO, and Dunne subsequently had a stinker. It's all I've disagreed with GED so far in the hotseat, is his treatment of Cueller.

I kind of understand the left foot issue with Clark coming on, but really, Cueller's experience might have been more useful. Thankfully Clarky had a good game though.

In my opinion Carlos is the best defender we've got. His anticipation is brilliant and he covers gaps and reads the game superbly.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 08:09:46 PM »
Ciaran Clark is a fine prospect (I rate him higher than Cahill and I was sorry to see Gary go).

Carlos Cuellar is a very good centre half.

As is James Collins.

And as was Dunney before he got lazy and injured.

It's fair to say centre half is the strongest area of our club by a mile and needs the least amount of work.

Infact as long as Curtis Davies isn't one of our two centre halfs, I'm cool with whoever's playing.

One problem I'd imagine is I presume Carlos signed a 4 year deal in 2008. So he will only have 1 year left this summer so we might have to let him go as I'd imagine he wouldn't be keen to sign a new deal if he dosen't play much this season.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 08:51:53 PM »
Clark looks like he could be as good as Cahill.

Decidedly better and I said it years ago.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »
Has Ciarán declared for Ireland then?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2010, 08:57:09 PM »
Yep. Either him or Paul McShane as back up CB in the next squad....

Offline Bald Eagle

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2010, 09:00:21 PM »
Cueller was immense against Wolves. Getting dropped for Dunne was very strange IMO, and Dunne subsequently had a stinker. It's all I've disagreed with GED so far in the hotseat, is his treatment of Cueller.

I kind of understand the left foot issue with Clark coming on, but really, Cueller's experience might have been more useful. Thankfully Clarky had a good game though.

In my opinion Carlos is the best defender we've got. His anticipation is brilliant and he covers gaps and reads the game superbly.
This.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2010, 09:14:11 PM »

This.

Well, if your plan is to keep possession of the ball for longer periods than we are accustomed to then it's a better idea that you have players who are more comfortable with the ball.  Clarke is better on the ball than Cuellar, as are all the centre halves we have.  Cuellar will get his chance again when the bruising sides show up where his attributes and experience are better than Clarke's are at the moment.

Offline Bald Eagle

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 09:27:53 PM »

This.

Well, if your plan is to keep possession of the ball for longer periods than we are accustomed to then it's a better idea that you have players who are more comfortable with the ball.  Clarke is better on the ball than Cuellar, as are all the centre halves we have.  Cuellar will get his chance again when the bruising sides show up where his attributes and experience are better than Clarke's are at the moment.
The main priority of a centre back is to defend. They also hunt in pairs, as strikers used to do. Carlos and collins were spot on at Wolves.Clark and Dunne were desperate at Newcastle. Dunne and Collins were far from great at Spurs. Distribution is a plus but the priority must be to defend.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 09:42:22 PM »

This.

The main priority of a centre back is to defend. They also hunt in pairs, as strikers used to do. Carlos and collins were spot on at Wolves.Clark and Dunne were desperate at Newcastle. Dunne and Collins were far from great at Spurs. Distribution is a plus but the priority must be to defend.

I agree with you.  But with them only playing one up front that threat is mainly covered by Collins. 

We did keep possession of the ball much better than usual yesterday for most of the game.

Offline eastie

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »
I thought dunne looked poor early in the season but played pretty well at spurs , it was a world class display from van der vaart that beat us .

I think all 4 central defenders will get plenty of games under houllier , and I'm happy with that rather than flogging his players into the ground.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:09:12 AM by east19 »

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2010, 02:24:58 AM »
Centre half isnt really a position where we should be rotating though. That is my view. Hard to know what Cuellar has done wrong since Wolves but we have probably the best choice of any club in the EPL at centre back. I dont think Collins is back to last season's form either. I thought he was turned pretty easily by Anelka for one chance at the end. I thought Dunne and himself were a superb partnership last season. Two bruisers, both pretty quick too and decent enough on the ball. If we had a centre midfielder who wanted the ball it would make the defenders look better.

Clark did pretty well yesterday. Made a few mistakes but nothing massive. I think he needs to bulk up a bit and become more dominant in the air if he is going to make it as a top centre half. I have a suspicion like Gareth Barry that his best position will be in midfield. He is so composed on the ball but two footed unlike Barry. With teams who play with only one striker he is certainly an option as he can bring the ball out of defence but Id see him as back up this season really. Was only thinking yesterday if even still had Milner and Barry we would have a fine team, oh well

So call it, who would your partnership be for Sunderland - Dunne and Cuellar at the moment for me. Cuellar and Clark for Burnley I guess.

Was surprised Beye got the nod ahead of Lichaj yesterday. To be fair Beye did better than expected but tired naturally in the second half. Beye was a fine defender at Newcastle remember him not giving Ashley Young a kick a few seasons back at SJP

My team for Burnley
Friedel
Beye, Cuellar, Clark, Warnock
Albrighton, Reo Coker, Sidwell, Bannan------
----------Young--------------
-------------Delfouneso--------------------

Offline eastie

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 08:12:39 AM »
Houllier needs to have a good look at all the players at his disposal so he can decide who he needs to add to the squad and who he feels he can let go, he was full of praise for cuellar after the wolves game and I don't see anything to worry about .

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2010, 09:00:14 AM »
Cuellar was superb against Wolves.

Houllier has said he'll rotate the squad, maybe he'll start Cuellar v Burnley or Sunderland knowing that Dunne took a knock or Collins has started the last few games.

Clark & Cuellar for Burnley and Collins & Cuellar v Sunderland.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 09:16:28 AM »
Ive said for a couple of years now that Clark would end up being the best centre half at the club. I think the current coaching staff might believe that too and its probably because Sid is part of the set up maybe.

However, I was very suprised when he took the field ahead of Cuellar but also pleasantly suprised because it was unexpected. I love seeing ballsy moves like that where youngsters are concerned. Its great to see.
The best thing about the current situation is we'll get to see and in some cases have seen a lot of the likes of Albrighton, Fonz, Clark and Bannan etc.

I think Cuellar can think himself unlucky not to have started against Spurs though and I have no doubts he'll play his part over the coming months.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal