collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Pete3206
[Today at 01:38:56 AM]

Re: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Rory
[Today at 01:30:04 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Clark Vs Cuellar  (Read 13628 times)

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
Clark Vs Cuellar
« on: October 16, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
I know it's too early (probably) to claim that Cuellar's days are numbered, but in the light of Houllier's preference for Clark over Carlos today, I wondered what peoples thoughts are.

Should we play Cuellar, a proven central defender (and sometime right-back!) who seldom lets you down defensively, but has noticeable limitations in terms of distribution?
Or should we continue to provide the opportunity for a seemingly very talented, composed young defender to learn his trade, even if that means some mishaps or mistakes and, I think, less of an aerial dominance?

And if you'd be happy with Clark, would you be OK with Cuellar being sold?

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Clark Vs Cuellar
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 10:53:10 PM »
No reason for Cuellar to go.
Let them all compete for places.

Offline villa-love

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 10:56:44 PM »
Was under the impression he chose Clark because of the side he wanted him to play on/foot he uses

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 11:25:46 PM »
Yeah, think Ciaran prefers playing on the left. Bit unlucky on Carlos, I hope he stays as I think he's probably our bet defender.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 11:29:41 PM »
Carlos has never had a good run in his best position - centre back. MON kept shoving him out to FB, and not to great effect. I think he is our best defender too given a chance.

Offline Archie

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 11:32:22 PM »
I know it's too early (probably) to claim that Cuellar's days are numbered, but in the light of Houllier's preference for Clark over Carlos today, I wondered what peoples thoughts are.

Should we play Cuellar, a proven central defender (and sometime right-back!) who seldom lets you down defensively, but has noticeable limitations in terms of distribution?

Yes, this is the point.
As far as tactics are concerned, we are passing from the prehistory (kick and run) to a more refined try  of  passing football, where even the defenders must try to start the action  instead of  restricting themselves to play long balls. In this context Clark suits better than Cuellar the manager's idea of football. But Cuellar remains more reliable than Collins, imo.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 11:33:06 PM »
Carlos has never had a good run in his best position - centre back. MON kept shoving him out to FB, and not to great effect. I think he is our best defender too given a chance.
Spot on.

I like the fact we've got a collection of good centre-backs we can rely on. Agent Ridgwell and Alpay are a distant memory thankfully.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 11:49:10 PM »
Yeah, think Ciaran prefers playing on the left. Bit unlucky on Carlos, I hope he stays as I think he's probably our bet defender.

Agreed.  Carlos isn't going to win any awards for his distribution, but when it comes to raw defending, theres few better in the entire league imo.

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 12:12:22 AM »
Cuellar is an excellent defender, and my monocle flew across the room when Clark came on. He did well though, so all I can think is that Gerard wanted a left footed defender in to balance out the team (or some bullshit).

Offline Hammer

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 12:42:41 AM »
This might be a bit 'why didn't Barry take the penalty' by now, but any idea why Clark was wearing 21 when he was wearing 47 in the early games? I thought changing squad numbers mid-season wasn't allowed.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 01:40:52 AM »
I thought it a bit odd when Cuellar was left on the bench but i suppose G.H. wanted a natural balance
Ciaran did Ok as far as i saw so...no complaints here then

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 06:43:45 AM »
No brainer really, Clark moved to the left and is left footed, he passes the ball far better than Carlos. Horses for courses Carlos will get his turn.The new manager has his own style and we will see quite a few changes in the next few months.

Offline charlie659

• Brian Little walks on water - FACT
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 07:30:53 AM »
I like this square pegs in square holes shit!

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 07:32:08 AM »
I don't see how the decision could be described as a no brainer! Collins and Cuellar played very well together at Wolves. I thought it was a big risk, but well played Cieran - although Anelka didn't stretch him as much as he could

Offline eastie

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 07:49:59 AM »
I'M sure GED will want to have a good look at everyone in his squad and assess them so he can say see what he needs to bring in and who is surplus and that's fine by me.

I was worried too seeing Clark coming on ,he was fine and I expect cuellar to get plenty games as well, houllier loved to rotate and freshen things at anfield and it's a pleasant change from the same  every week- the lads will all get to play their part and when we hit march should still be pretty fit, rather than knackered.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:53:50 AM by east19 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal