collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Chelsea Post-Match Thread  (Read 39187 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Aston Villa v Chelsea Post-Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2010, 09:14:57 PM »
More soundbites from BBC :

"Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti concedes that Aston Villa deserved their point after the 0-0 draw, and is hopeful that some of his injured stars may return for Tuesday's Champions League tie."

'Deserved our point'.  Brilliant.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2010, 09:17:31 PM »
And I think I'm right in saying that for 90% of the game we were missing five players who would have played had they been available, Chelsea were missing four.

So I don't think Chelsea's injury crisis is really all that in terms of excuses.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2010, 09:22:38 PM »
Good performance. Didn't get torn to shreds by Chelsea. Could have been so diffenent if we had turned our early domination in to 1 or 2 goals. Chelsea pressed us hard in the  first 15 mins of second half but we got back into it. I thought we invited that by playing Ash and Stewart almost as additional fullbacks.

I never imagined saying this but we did miss Heskey. Carew was the weakest link today.

NRC was the strongest link and yes he should have scored but the fact he won that ball  just underlined what he had been  doing through the previous 92 mins.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2010, 09:25:44 PM »
NRC was the strongest link and yes he should have scored but the fact he won that ball  just underlined what he had been  doing through the previous 92 mins.
Agree with that. Anyone else in the team would have scored, but nobody else would have won that ball in the first place.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 09:26:14 PM »
More soundbites from BBC :

"Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti concedes that Aston Villa deserved their point after the 0-0 draw, and is hopeful that some of his injured stars may return for Tuesday's Champions League tie."

'Deserved our point'.  Brilliant.

I had lot of respect for him but if he is turning  into a SAF  sort of patronising twat than he can **** off. You were playing Aston Villa at Villa park and it's your team that got away with it w**ker.

Offline Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 09:28:28 PM »
Good result and very happy with the performance. Top marks to Collins, Downing and NRC.

Carew - just fuck off - now.

Offline eastie

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 09:28:53 PM »
Agree aftab, nige has been very good this season as has luke young - makes you think what might have been had they been given a fair crack last season , it's like having 3 new players with the form of heskey as well- I'm still not sure sidwell will be up to the task though, but the others have certainly taken the chance.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 09:35:39 PM »
Dcent stuff from us, Chelsea were crap and will still win the league by a mile.

What tonight showed is we need Gabby back a.s.a.p. Ireland will be quality when he's back.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 09:39:45 PM »
Overall happy, I wanted us to win (obviously) but I would have taken a draw against the best team in the league.

Really goes back to first 5 mins when we had two excellent chances, I would have put my life on Ireland putting that away likewise Carew, He did the right thing going across the keeper, I said to my mate that we wouldn't get another chance as good again.

I thought ireland did fade in and out a wee bit but when he did something it was decent, Was a good ball to NRC in the first half and he looks comfortable at times in possession. NRC did well, He's energy is 2nd to none also thought Warnock and Downing did well.

Was impressed with Clark when he came on, I think he was chosen over Cuellar as he's naturally a left sided player.

2nd half they were the better side I don't know how they missed that chance at the end that hit the bar. Although the one that hit the post could easily have gone in, I really wish it was someone other than Nige at the end although Cech did well.

I still don't think we are playing to carew's strengths at the min,  he needs decent service from the flanks but when the ball was played into him his first touch was shocking he couldn't control the fucker and he was shrugged off the ball far too easily for a big man, He needs to pull his finger out he doesn't look right at all at the moment.

Online Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2010, 09:44:58 PM »
Just got back. As others have said, would have been happy with a point beforehand. Downing seems to be improving as a player.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2010, 09:51:17 PM »
Not been back long (thx to ESPN, wankers).

Overall probably a fair result. If only we'd taken one of those 2 chances in the opening 7 mins, who knows. At times both sides played some nice stuff, at others, both sides were awful.

Surprised Cuellar seems so far down the pecking order, what's he done wrong? Is he injured?

Apart from his miss, Ireland did well. What i've noticed is he plays balls and makes runs that actually seem too clever for the rest of the team to anticipate.

At times  our off the ball movement was as dire as ever.
Ash dived, waved his arms about a lot and looked a threat at times. So nothing new there then.
We didn't seem to get going in the second half for the best part of 20 minutes, which was disappointing.
Carew, was well, Carew. Far too immobile to play as a lone striker.
NRC showed the best and worst of NRC. Chasing the ball back and closing down the defender leaving their defence under pressure, and then promptly fouling the defender to ease the pressure. Chasing down a seemingly lost cause to create a match winning chance, and promptly forgetting the ball has to go between the white things.
And it was bloody cold in the second half.

And finally, thanks again to ESPN for ensuring I don't get home to B32 from VP until after 9pm for a Saturday game.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2010, 09:53:03 PM »
Good 1st 15 mins then we seemed to drop back, Downing, Petrov played very well most of the others were ok and Ashley needs to stop the backchat. On the minus points only Carew and Beye (who makes Glen Johnson look like a quality right back).I think Clark came on as he is left footed so he could play the "left sided centre half" if you get my drift, I thought he was excellent

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2010, 09:56:43 PM »
Good 1st 15 mins then we seemed to drop back, Downing, Petrov played very well most of the others were ok and Ashley needs to stop the backchat. On the minus points only Carew and Beye (who makes Glen Johnson look like a quality right back).I think Clark came on as he is left footed so he could play the "left sided centre half" if you get my drift, I thought he was excellent

I thought Beye did quite well

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2010, 09:59:03 PM »
So did I.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2010, 10:02:27 PM »
I always become more calm when I hear Houllier talk after a game. For me he speaks a lot like Wenger in that he studies the game, and is always thinking of ways to tactically improve things. We are making progress a little bit at a time. I know he sees weaknesses based on the way he wants us to play, and will try and fix it in the next few windows. While Chelsea were mising key players, so were we, and we matched them all the way. I still have seen very little outside of the top 3 or 4 clubs to suggest that with a few additions in January and a bit of luck we won't be challenging for 5th or 6th spot come May.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal