collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wee Barry's Big Plans  (Read 4340 times)

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Wee Barry's Big Plans
« on: October 14, 2010, 09:28:01 PM »
Link

SCOTLAND will not be appearing at the European Under-21 Championship finals next summer, but winger Barry Bannan is definitely going places.

Billy Stark's young side may have failed at the final hurdle to reach the Denmark showpiece, but Bannan's emergence during the qualifying campaign is a positive to cling on to after Monday's 4-2 aggregate play-off loss to Iceland. The diminutive 20-year-old was again superb despite the 2-1 second-leg defeat at Easter Road.

And no less a judge than Gerard Houllier -- Bannan's new manager at Aston Villa -- mentioned the little Scot in the same breath as Spain's vertically-challenged but impossibly gifted World Cup winning duo, Xavi and Andres Iniesta. 'Barry Bannan is an intelligent player, he can read the game well and adapt well,' said the former France and Liverpool manager.

'Xavi and Iniesta, who are outstanding players, are not huge. They are intelligent, they have the skill, they have the desire -- young Barry has all of that.' 'Houllier must have been drunk when he made that comparison,' joked Bannan, speaking in the wake of the crushing disappointment of the Iceland exit.

'But I have spoken to him a few times since he came in. I was close to starting our recent game against Spurs. He changed his mind at the last minute, as it was going to be my first start and he felt it would be unfair to throw me into a game like that, so I came on as a sub.

'But he has really taken to me and hopefully I can get into his starting XI. I set myself high targets, so I want to be playing week-in and week-out with Villa by Christmas.

'I'm at that age where I need to be playing regularly. I want to start more games, rather than sitting on the bench, so I can force my way into the senior Scotland squad.' Bannan switched flanks with regularity against a talented Iceland team, tormenting both sides of their defence, and had a first-half shot headed off the line.

While Bannan is aware of Craig Levein's ultra-cautious tactics in the Czech Republic, he does not believe that would preclude him from being involved in future.

He said: 'I know Craig Levein did not use any strikers in Prague, but there are flair players in the senior team, such as Graham Dorrans and James McFadden.

'We have a very good bunch of lads in the Under-21s who are now ready to move on to the next stage. Hopefully, they get the chance.'

Interesting that Houl thought about playing him against Total Hypespur. Clearly he must rate him. Also good that he has that confidence and sets himself high targets.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Wee Barry's Big Plans
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »
I've always rated him playing for the reserves and youth. Think he is better in the middle than out wide though and not sure our lightweight midfield could accomodate him at the moment. Maybe when Delph returns.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:19:51 PM »
Nice quote:

"And no less a judge than Gerard Houllier..."

Or his club mnger is talking up a January transfer fee from Rangers...

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 10:49:44 PM »
Wee Barry is a Celtic lad, I believe.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 12:44:38 AM »
Did he call the gaffer ''Houllier''? Bit of spunk about him has wee Bazza, though I wouldn't really want to see it.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:41:11 AM »
Not exactly struck down with crippling self-doubt is he?

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »
LEt hope he will be our answer to wonderful Barcelona midfield duo Xavi and Inestra.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 01:15:06 PM »
Not exactly struck down with crippling self-doubt is he?

He's needed self-belief, there's no doubt about that. From day one he's probably had people telling him he's too small, that he won't make it at the highest level, no matter how skilfull he is. He's perservered, despite some of his most crucial development years coinciding with MON's reign, a man who was never going to give him a chance let's be honest, and he might just have lucked out with the arrival of Gerard. A real talent who, let's hope, can make his mark on the team in the same way that Albrighton already has.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 01:30:12 PM »
I'm a bit concerned about his ambitions, as first of all he doesn't have the experience to be starting games week in, week out by December. Secondly, I recall reading comments from his time at Blackpool, where despite making an early impression, he over night became Johnny Big Bollocks, both on and off the pitch.

I'd prefer he keeps his head down and lets his football do the talking. The way he's going, I can see him looking to leave the club come the summer should things not go to his plan.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 01:33:34 PM »
Interesting that Houl thought about playing him against Total Hypespur. Clearly he must rate him.

Nice - an accurate description of the "Boys from the Lane".

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 03:10:29 PM »
I'm a bit concerned about his ambitions, as first of all he doesn't have the experience to be starting games week in, week out by December. Secondly, I recall reading comments from his time at Blackpool, where despite making an early impression, he over night became Johnny Big Bollocks, both on and off the pitch.

I'd prefer he keeps his head down and lets his football do the talking. The way he's going, I can see him looking to leave the club come the summer should things not go to his plan.

I agree with this. 

It may not be a bad thing though as we need to produce as many players as we can through our youth system.  One or two may make first team regulars, some will stay and be squad players, others will want first team football and leave.  All of which will add value to the club and therefore must be a good thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal