collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by Ads
[Today at 08:44:23 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 08:43:04 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by sid1964
[Today at 08:36:44 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 08:34:21 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by dicedlam
[Today at 08:29:46 AM]

Re: Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:26:02 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 08:24:43 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithe
[Today at 08:23:53 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is Villa now becoming the backbone for England?  (Read 7402 times)

Offline Gaztonniller

Is Villa now becoming the backbone for England?
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:53:54 PM »
Seems like Youngs inclusion in the starting line up against Montenegro is (could be argued) evidence that when it comes to England, you dont have to play for a london, merseyside, or the red side of Manchester to eventually get a call-up to the seniors. Barry, Milner, Heskey, Young, and with Agbon on the fringes of things, seems like VP is becoming the new de rigueur for England. And MON should be credited by fans for his astute signing of international quality players.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Is Villa now becoming the backbone for England?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 09:57:29 PM »
Barry, Milner, Heskey, Young, and with Agbon on the fringes of things, seems like VP is becoming the new de rigueur for England.
Heskey has retired from International football, two of the other five don't play for us and the other hasn't played for England in nearly a year.

Man City the new backbone for England? Quite probably.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 10:02:13 PM »
the backbone of England is like a fishbone....     fookin useless

Offline FiveKenMcNaughts

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:03:08 PM »
I would say Man City

Hence why, despite Adam Johnson hardly touching the ball all second half he took off Young rather than the ineffective Johnson for SWP another (basic) Man City player

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:27:50 PM »
I would say Man City

Hence why, despite Adam Johnson hardly touching the ball all second half he took off Young rather than the ineffective Johnson for SWP another (basic) Man City player

I think this has more too do with the fact that Johnson plays for England tge same way he does for City.

Ash just doesn't seem to play with the same
Temprament for England as he does with Villa.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:30:18 PM »
No as we only had one player on the pitch and he was only playing due to injuries/suspensions to Lennon, Lampard, Walcott and Milner

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 11:43:12 PM »
I think when Gerard get going we will have a english team of Villa + Man City + Rooney in long term.

Offline Gaztonniller

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 11:59:49 PM »
Barry, Milner, Heskey, Young, and with Agbon on the fringes of things, seems like VP is becoming the new de rigueur for England.
Heskey has retired from International football, two of the other five don't play for us and the other hasn't played for England in nearly a year.

Ahh, your just knit-picking.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 12:02:24 AM »
I think when Gerard get going we will have a english team of Villa + Man City + Rooney in long term.

And Wilshere. And probably a whole load of people we haven't heard of.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 08:42:10 AM »
Does anyone know when Rooney will be back from injury

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 08:47:22 AM »
I would say Man City

I find the sight of SWP trundling on from the bench depressing. Its a reminder how poor we are that such a limited player can get so many caps.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 09:17:42 AM »

I think when Gezza 'gets going' we'll see less English players playing for us, so not sure you're right.

It is true that some players have left us and Heskey is now retired, but the amount of players that we've recently had in the England reckoning does show we've been doing something right.

Offline mshurst

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 09:21:21 AM »

Man City the new backbone for England? Quite probably.

I think the point he's trying to get at is that all of the above players have started their England careers while playing for Villa. With the exception of Heskey ... but can you call that a career?

What was the marketing campaign with last season's away kit? Hasn't Villa had the most amount of England representing players? Around 66 isn't it?

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 09:30:52 AM »

I think the point he's trying to get at is that all of the above players have started their England careers while playing for Villa. With the exception of Heskey ... but can you call that a career?

The only player at present imo that you could say has strong enough Villa links would be Barry as he won the majority of his caps whilst playing for us. To use your criteria, West Ham would be the team as Ferdinand, Lampard, Defoe and Johnson came through there ranks yet they all won most of there caps playing for other clubs.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 09:46:03 AM »
Those are very claret and blue specs you are wearing Gazton.  Gabby has hardly featured for England despite the lack of quality strikers, Ash seems to be about 5th or 6th choice for the wide berths, one has retired, and two don't play for us.   As for O'Neill well he didn't sign Barry or Gabby and Heskey was already well established in the England set up under Capello.  As others have mentioned, Citeh and West Ham  have better claims to being an influence on the current England squad. Also arguably, by your criteria,  Spurs (Defoe, Crouch, Lennon, Bent, Huddlestone) and perhaps even Everton (Lescott, Jagielka, Rooney, Baines) although we could take some credit for Crouch I suppose if we want to be all Doug Ellis about it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal