collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New training regime..  (Read 21488 times)

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: New training regime..
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2010, 09:20:37 AM »
Martin never worked on who we were playing next. Never thought about their strengths/weaknesses.

Maloney did an interview about it.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2010, 09:25:58 AM »
I think when any new manager comes in there always seems to be a bit about improving the players fitness.  Or is that just me?  Certainly remember DOL saying something similar anyway.

I don't know how our training regime under MON differed from other PL sides, but I can imagine that after a very 'British' background to our staff, a continental manager will always be looking to do things differently.  One thing I took from the Young interview was that Gezza is looking to change things gradually, which I think is the best way.  We weren't exactly crap under MON, so I'm more for things being added to our game rather than a complete 'starting from scratch' approach.  Evolutuion not revolution. 

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2010, 09:43:08 AM »
Martin never worked on who we were playing next. Never thought about their strengths/weaknesses.

That contradicts what Kevin MacDonald said and I'd trust him before the whinging little mommy's boy.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2010, 10:06:59 AM »
Until GH finishes above MON or goes 1 better in the cups then I'll wait before passing judgement on MON vs GH training approach.

Offline Merv

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »

That contradicts what Kevin MacDonald said and I'd trust him before the whinging little mommy's boy.

Yeah. I'd be absolutely staggered if any PL manager in the modern era totally overlooked briefing his team on the opposition in the build-up to a game. There would have been some kind of focus on who we were playing.

Be interesting to see what we look like as a team in six months time though, and if we can spot a discernable difference in style under GH.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2010, 01:53:38 PM »
There's some website called "Footylatest" which printed exactly interview with Luke Young but healined it with the rather more negative "Aston Villa could face burnout from training sessions".

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2010, 02:12:46 PM »
Be interesting to see what we look like as a team in six months time though, and if we can spot a discernable difference in style under GH.

I'm expecting some changes to our style, with more emphasis on ball retention.  However, I'm more concerned about whether the results will get any better?

I'm guessing not, and if anything we'll move backwards from where we were under MON until Gezza starts recruiting his own players.  This should mean his style will take greater effect and hopefully his contacts/knowledge will mean this is a better class of player to what Martin could source primarily from the UK.

Six months will be interesting, as you say, but a year or so will be more telling as to where we're headed under him.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2010, 04:21:08 PM »
If we keep the ball better, we will use less energy in the game and maybe have a much better chance to hold on for win with fighting spirit from MON's era.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »
Six months will be interesting, as you say, but a year or so will be more telling as to where we're headed under him.

Absolutely agree.

We can't expect too much from this season, given the circumstances, so I'm treating everything that does go well as a bonus. Once he's "bedded in", bought some players of his own choice, and once we start to see the results of his type of training, then we'll see the way we're headed.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2010, 12:01:50 AM »
The change in training. The empasis on ball retention and the desire to play more "football" are all positive steps to move forward. MON (not slagging him) seemed to have run out of ways of moving us on. Same team week in week out. Players out of position. Houllier seems at least like he is creating a philosophy to able to work from and with the addition of some European talent with technical ability to add to the team, we will definitely improve ......... 

Offline Simba

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2010, 07:44:55 AM »
Walter, you are right. The Bibs and Cones training sessions were - according to some players- the mainstay of training. The result was seen on the pitch- lack of creativity and fluidity so often in our play. Then of course the lack of player rotation, March burnout, and player frustration especially amongst the fringe and younger players. We might never have seen Albrighton with O'Neil.

Anyway he, Robertson, Storey Moore and the rest of the Nottingham Forest/Clough Mafia have gone.

Given that he did have reasonable success in the Prem with us and a referee and some bad luck cost us another final and a LC win- they did well with basic footy. But...

Imagine what this team, with a few additions, can do if they retain their workrate AND know how to creatively hold, pass and move. Good Luck to Rene.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2010, 07:50:06 AM »
We might never have seen Albrighton with O'Neil.

I think that's pretty much a given, he'd never have given him  a run in the team.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2010, 08:25:51 AM »

I think that's pretty much a given, he'd never have given him  a run in the team.

We wouldn't have see Luke Young or NRC again.

Shame that we've seen Sidwell though.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 08:47:57 AM »

We wouldn't have see Luke Young or NRC again.

Shame that we've seen Sidwell though.

I just close my eyes when that bit happens.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2010, 09:12:30 AM »
Two things:-

1.  I think Martin showed he was ready to give kids a chance and think we WOULD have seen more of Albrighton under him.  I would also point out that it was K-Mac who gave him a real chance, so had Gezza come in without that 6 or so game period of him playing well, would he be picking him?
2.  I think it's too easy to jump on the band wagon of different training techniques, better passing and signing some foreigners, but this does NOT guarantee any greater success than we had under Martin.  It will if it can be brought in while still retaining the elements that were good under him, such as being good on the counter, pace up top, a strong defence and lots of hard work/never say die attitude on the pitch.

I said Martin needed to add things, not necessarily change things.  So the same goes for Gezza in that he needs to build on what we have as if he takes away our strengths and just adds different ones, will we be any better off?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:14:59 AM by John M »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal