collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Worst away day ever.  (Read 20547 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Worst away day ever.
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2010, 07:37:29 PM »
Charlton (a) when they used to play at palace.

0-3 defeat, Billy McNeill and his team at their lowest ebb and a nightmare trip to and from the ground. Relegation was effectively confirmed on this day.

Arguably the most appalling Villa display Ive ever witnessed

I was there and completely agree with you - I lost all hope and belief that day.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2010, 06:06:47 PM »
Charlton (a) when they used to play at palace.

0-3 defeat, Billy McNeill and his team at their lowest ebb and a nightmare trip to and from the ground. Relegation was effectively confirmed on this day.

Arguably the most appalling Villa display Ive ever witnessed

I was there and completely agree with you - I lost all hope and belief that day.
Hold on, the away fans today aren't back home yet.

Offline cyrilina

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2010, 03:03:44 AM »
for me it is more recent, November 2005, and getting knocked out 3-0 in the league cup at Doncaster... awful o'leary tripe followed by a nightmare journey back to london alone.... trains were screwed and the first train left after midnight, back in the old smoke past two with tubes all closed etc - but blagged a taxi ride home from gner.

Offline RugbyVilla

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2011, 11:21:32 PM »
I am compiling a major book about fans memories of all things Villa. I hope to include celebs and current and ex-players, as well as us the fans.

Would anyone mind if I use their postings in the book? If you have any more good stories please contact me at simongoodyear@soccerbiographies.com

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2011, 06:29:59 PM »
Derby away I think in 75, thousands of Villa turned up and hundreds if not thousands of us locked out. The drive home was no better, listening to a 2-0 defeat.

Offline levico

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2011, 04:47:26 PM »
How about Portsmouth in the FAC over 10 years ago. Absolutely freezing and raining heavily - no cover in those days. We sneeked a last minute equalizer (Simon Grayson if I remember correctly). Took me hours to dry and thaw out.

Offline bones.

• GM : 28.01.2020
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2011, 05:54:44 PM »
Sheffield Wed away, first match of the season 91 - 92 i think. BFR's first match in charge. Crazy day when the old bill showed that they'd learned nothing from the Hillsborough disaster and just generally ran amoc with actions of supreme arrogance/idiocy that would have put the gestapo to shame! Coaches being hijacked by the police and turned away without reason. How there wasn't a riot that day I'll never know.

Sheffield Wed away, first match of the season 91 - 92 i think. BFR's first match in charge. Crazy day when the old bill showed that they'd learned nothing from the Hillsborough disaster and just generally ran amoc with actions of supreme arrogance/idiocy that would have put the gestapo to shame! Coaches being hijacked by the police and turned away without reason. How there wasn't a riot that day I'll never know.

We were on the special that day from New Street and didn't get in the ground until 35 minutes after kick off, we got delayed by a trackside fire.  The old bill didn't have a clue when about 250 of us suddenly turned up at the away turnstiles with tickets demanding to be let in.  They eventually opened one turnstile the miserable yorkshire twats.
I was on that train, when we eventually got there they wouldnt let us in the seats so we had the bit of corner terrace to the left of the stand to ourselves . Whilst the train was stopped because of the fire some lads saw the floodlights belonging to the recently built athletics stadium for the student games, thinking we were nearly there they jumped out the train and legged it towards the pylons trying to persuade everyone else in the carriage to join them .We yelled back they were going the wrong way but they either didnt hear or didnt believe us. Didnt see them again, dont know if they got there or not.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2011, 07:27:29 PM »

We were on the special that day from New Street and didn't get in the ground until 35 minutes after kick off, we got delayed by a trackside fire.  The old bill didn't have a clue when about 250 of us suddenly turned up at the away turnstiles with tickets demanding to be let in.  They eventually opened one turnstile the miserable yorkshire twats.
I was on that train, when we eventually got there they wouldnt let us in the seats so we had the bit of corner terrace to the left of the stand to ourselves . Whilst the train was stopped because of the fire some lads saw the floodlights belonging to the recently built athletics stadium for the student games, thinking we were nearly there they jumped out the train and legged it towards the pylons trying to persuade everyone else in the carriage to join them .We yelled back they were going the wrong way but they either didnt hear or didnt believe us. Didnt see them again, dont know if they got there or not.

They did, when they got over the massive hill that hid the Don Valley Satdium, they managed to get a taxi to Hillsbrough and turned up just after half time!!

Offline bones.

• GM : 28.01.2020
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2011, 06:25:31 AM »
Excellent, at last I can sleep at night again.

Offline holtepaul

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
Wimbledon away - FA Cup 3rd round replay, earlky 90's

January , 3 degrees c , absolutely pouring with rain.

Morning, buried my nan. Got coach with two cousins and my now wife. Cousins being sick all over the back seat as they were peed to hell. One cousin then has a pee in an empty can, other cousin then drinks it !

Get to plough lane, no cover, in my best suit, soaked to skin##0-0 at full time.

Xtra Time - 1 minute to go before Pens = Paul Birch Own goal - OUT

Never mind worst match = definately worst day of my life !!

Offline sidcowans10

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2011, 10:31:52 PM »
For me it was Everton away in about 1984. I was stopping with my Evertonian cousin and by chance Villa were playing at Goodison. I d only ever been to a couple of home games by then so I was really excited. Right up until we were beaten 5-0 in the evening kick off!! My Aunty then even bought me an Everton top lol!!

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2011, 06:55:14 PM »
The boxing day 3-0 defeat at the Sty in 1982 and the the boxing day defeats at Coventry 3-0 and Leicester 5-0 come to mind. Also the 3-0 defeat at Bournmouth in the 3rd division and a 4-1 thrashing at Blackpool in a night game league cup tie. The worst though has to be the 6-0 thrashing at Forest in Graham Turners reign. I remember missing a villa reserve game at villa park in order to go to Forest and when i got the Argus on the evening i found out we had lost either 7-0 or 7-1 .The cup tie on the plastic pitch at Oldham where  we were thrashed also brings back bad memories

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2011, 10:44:46 AM »
For me it was Everton away in about 1984. I was stopping with my Evertonian cousin and by chance Villa were playing at Goodison. I d only ever been to a couple of home games by then so I was really excited. Right up until we were beaten 5-0 in the evening kick off!! My Aunty then even bought me an Everton top lol!!

I went to that game. It was only two years since we'd become Champions of Europe. We were dropping like a stone..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal