collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Worst away day ever.  (Read 20546 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Worst away day ever.
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »
It was the winner wasn't it?

Offline braders

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 09:08:01 AM »
Train strike for the away game at Burnley, about 60 of us marched down to Digbeth coach station and managed, after much arguing, to hire a coach.  Chico Hamilton scores to give us a 1-0 lead then we proceed to get hammered 4-1, no stops on the way home cos the driver just wanted 'to do home'

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 09:26:36 AM »
I remember going to Ipswich for a relegation battle under SGTII I think, one of the worst games I have ever seen was settled by a last minute OG by a guy named Chris Swailes. We had a pint or two and went to catch the connection back to Peterborough only to get on a train going in the opposite direction, went back only to be told we had missed the last train and we could either go to London and maybe make the last train or wait until the morning. Ended up getting a taxi from Ipswich to Peterborough at a cost of £120.00.

Not the best of days.

That’ll be the last time you take my advice on which train to get. Felixstowe was lovely though!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 12:09:45 PM »
Trivia fact - Selhurst Park is the only major football stadium that can be flat packed and moved to another location. This is why, no matter how many times you have been previously
A - You can never find it and
B - Even when you are just round the corner from it, whoever you stop to ask has no idea what you are talking about

Offline Rico

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »
Sheffield Wed away, first match of the season 91 - 92 i think. BFR's first match in charge. Crazy day when the old bill showed that they'd learned nothing from the Hillsborough disaster and just generally ran amoc with actions of supreme arrogance/idiocy that would have put the gestapo to shame! Coaches being hijacked by the police and turned away without reason. How there wasn't a riot that day I'll never know.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 05:37:21 PM »
Sheffield Wed away, first match of the season 91 - 92 i think. BFR's first match in charge. Crazy day when the old bill showed that they'd learned nothing from the Hillsborough disaster and just generally ran amoc with actions of supreme arrogance/idiocy that would have put the gestapo to shame! Coaches being hijacked by the police and turned away without reason. How there wasn't a riot that day I'll never know.

We were on the special that day from New Street and didn't get in the ground until 35 minutes after kick off, we got delayed by a trackside fire.  The old bill didn't have a clue when about 250 of us suddenly turned up at the away turnstiles with tickets demanding to be let in.  They eventually opened one turnstile the miserable yorkshire twats.

Online sid1964

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »
Blues away boxing day - lost 3.0, had to go to a party on the night with a well known Zulu in attendance not a pleasant evening!!! >:(

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2010, 03:58:45 PM »
FA Cup midweek replay at Oldham 0-3, bad evening

Losing 0-4 at West Ham on a Monday night was no disco either

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2010, 05:28:13 PM »
Blues away when we lost 4-0 was grim, and I had my Villa hat nicked walking back along the Coventry Road to put the icing on the cake.

There was game at Bolton when we were in the Third Divsion and , in addition to a rare loss, we somehow became detached  from the main contingent of our fans and were ambushed at the train station and chased all over the place. Ended up getting a bus from somewhere called Swinton. There were loads of Man City fans at the game, and then we bumped into the Man U fans near Picadilly Station. 

There were plenty of Villa fans on that train, most of whom said they had also missed the special from Bolton. Fucking nightmare.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2010, 10:06:04 PM »
There have been many but  a few recent ones are:

Spurs 5 Villa 1 in May 2005?  Last away game of the season, stood in the burning sun and seeing our fans get kicked out of WHL for doing the conga.  Tossers.

Man City 2 Villa 0.  Sometime that season I think.  It was a 5.15 kick off and we made SWP look like Ronaldo.  Then their fans went on to kick fuck out of us for no reason at Piccadilly after the game.

The Man United FA Cup game where 'tracky pants Kiraly' let them score the winner in the last minute was particularly horrible.  Their 'fans' really took the piss afterwards too.

Palace away when we lost 2-0.  Johnson got 2 after he had scored at VP and celebrated in front of the Holte and never got booked. (Unlike Hendrie who also scored in that game and DID get booked for doing the same thing but to OUR fans.)  Terrible facilities and an awful game. 

Almost every away game under DOL.  (Except Bolton last minute and the infamous Newcastle 3-0.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 12:45:39 AM by Holtenderinthesky »

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2010, 11:35:23 PM »
Wembley 2000, for obvious reasons. Still the lowest, sickest, most gutwrenching feeling i've ever had after a Villa game. Sheff Wed at home in 87 doesn't even come close. Assuming Wembley counts as an away that is.
Remember being at most of those mentioned so far in this thread but I have to agree that Wembley 2000 was the worst by far. After waiting all my life for us to reach an FA Cup final it was such a letdown, mainly because of Gregory's negative tactics that day. I wish now Dean Holdsworth had buried that sitter of a chance he had for Bolton in the semi.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2010, 12:35:54 AM »
Although there are 3 trips to Wembley that we'd all rather forget, I don't class them as away games per se.

The 5-0 spanking on our last visit to Highbury wasn't fun.  I remember singng "you can have O'Leary back to the gooners as the goals were flying in.  What a change it was to go back there 4 months later with O'Neill, Randy and the "bright future"" scenario and come within minutes of beating them.  Shame we have seemingly now gone full circle.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2010, 06:47:12 PM »
The Chelsea semi last year was no picnic, shit performance, shit traffic, and an expensive waste of time

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 08:00:36 AM »
FA Cup 3rd round replay at Plough Lane in 1991.

120 minutes on an open terrace in the driving rain, for the privilge of seeing Villa lose it to a long punt upfield in the 119th minute.

Three things always stick with me from that night.

(1) En route from the Tube station to the ground, I passed an ambulance treating a Villa fan who had been knocked down on the bridge that crossed over the railway lines.  I don't know how serious it was, but I did think during the course of the game that I would gladly change places with him, if only to be warm and dry and tucked up in a hospital bed.

(2) I'd gone straight to the game from the job I then had in London.  My suit and shoes got ruined.

(3) The strange feeling of relief when Wimbledon scored.  It had already been announced that should a second replay be necessary, then it would also be played at Plough Lane.   It was like, thank goodness I won't have to come here again next week.

Remember it well. Suffered from alcohol related delerium before the game and couldn't find which turnstile to go in. Eventually stumbled into one and ended up in a section with three other blokes next to the rest of the Villa. Asked a steward if I could transfer into the adjacent section and he came back with the classic 'have you read the Taylor report?' which led to the first argument of the evening. By the time their goal went in I was praying for it to end such were the miserable conditions. I was wearing a heavy Crombie that night and it soaked in the rain a treat. Got outside the ground to be stopped by a copper after having another argument with a steward. Eventually got to the train station and as I was getting on the train with all the Villa, got pulled back by another couple of coppers who held me at the station until the train left. Miserable evening all round.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2010, 07:01:23 PM »
Charlton (a) when they used to play at palace.

0-3 defeat, Billy McNeill and his team at their lowest ebb and a nightmare trip to and from the ground. Relegation was effectively confirmed on this day.

Arguably the most appalling Villa display Ive ever witnessed

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal