collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Worst away day ever.  (Read 20543 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Worst away day ever.
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 02:44:35 PM »
Boxing day '82 still haunts me. I was twelve and had to go to a family party on the night full of Bluenoses. Big picture of Noel Blake celebrating his goal in front of us with the heading Rejects Revenge next day in the mail. Charlton '87 as well because for me that was the day we knew we were down. For disasters, Highbury '91 - couldn't park, got in just in time for Arsenals first then it ended 5-0. West Ham league cup quarter final '89 and the Forest game later that year were two occasions I couldn't get in, but I had a lot more company at Forest! Losing the Milk Cup semi at Oxford in '86 was pretty grim too.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 04:45:59 PM »
Palace away, 1990

Got into North London around half twelve (in the car), followed the coaches, they got lost around kew gardens, scrambled eventually into rougly the right district, couldn't find that shithole for love nor money, eventually parking up and following a man who may have been going to the game (he was, thankfully), greeted by a sign saying £7 to stand (robdogs! :o), paid, walked down the steps at five past three to see Garry Thompson score the games only goal, for them.

And then our kid went the wrong way round the M25 on the way home.

Well it's either that, or the coach that broke down 3 times on the way to and back from Old Trafford, the same season.

Offline MAGNAN VILLAIN

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 05:49:16 PM »
Journeyed to Turf Moor with 4 mates in a borrowed Ford Zephyr, got into the ground to find MOTD cameras there, Burnley put 4 past us, and the car broke down on the motorway going home .. 4 trying to push start the Zephyr uphill on the hard shoulder, but still got back to sit through the pain again on the telly later .. ah those third division days!!

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 09:58:04 AM »
Journeyed to Turf Moor with 4 mates in a borrowed Ford Zephyr, got into the ground to find MOTD cameras there, Burnley put 4 past us, and the car broke down on the motorway going home .. 4 trying to push start the Zephyr uphill on the hard shoulder, but still got back to sit through the pain again on the telly later .. ah those third division days!!

We never played Burnley in the 3rd division.
Without looking it up, I seem to remember there may have been a game after we were back in the 2nd division and shipping 4 goals. Those were the days when Bob Lord ran Burnley like a dictatorship and the only stand with seats was behind the goal.

Offline MAGNAN VILLAIN

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 03:53:54 PM »
Andy Lochead ... there was a player to watch ...

memories fade in the mists of time, it must have been the 2nd Division I meant, but It was still one of those days, thanks for the memory jog.... any idea of the date?

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 04:08:32 PM »
It tiurned out to be the best, but for about 45 minutes in 1981 I can remember feeling sick at the thought of throwing away the league title as Arsenal were cruising in the second half and Ipswich were 1-0 up at Middlesbrough.

In the days before mobile phones, it was the pockets of fans with little radios and word spreading across the terrace as Boro's goals went in that sticks in the memory.

Can't imagine what the atmosphere would have been like after the game if Ipswich had won.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »
Leicester away mid 80's - 11 am kick off for some reason. Loads of Villa fans arriving late at the old Filbert Street where the view was always bloody awful.

Not that it was worth watching - 4-0 down after 20 minutes. Lost 5-0 eventually. Smith and Lineker scored the goals.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 05:16:34 PM »
I remember going to Ipswich for a relegation battle under SGTII I think, one of the worst games I have ever seen was settled by a last minute OG by a guy named Chris Swailes. We had a pint or two and went to catch the connection back to Peterborough only to get on a train going in the opposite direction, went back only to be told we had missed the last train and we could either go to London and maybe make the last train or wait until the morning. Ended up getting a taxi from Ipswich to Peterborough at a cost of £120.00.

Not the best of days.

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 10:00:53 PM »
Andy Lochead ... there was a player to watch ...

memories fade in the mists of time, it must have been the 2nd Division I meant, but It was still one of those days, thanks for the memory jog.... any idea of the date?

26th August 1972, second away game of the season. As the Special pulled out of Burnley, we got bricked by some kids at the top of the cutting. My mate was hurling abuse at them, only to get hit straight between the eyes on the bridge of his nose with a rock. i've never seen so much blood in my life!. He's still got the scar to this day.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 11:24:26 PM »
We played an FA Cup match at Burnley around then, I think. My Dad got me two tickets. They were ten bob each. My mate got one from the club and the tight sod wouldn't have the ticket that I got him. Just as well as that ticket, complete with stub, is worth much more than ten bob now!   

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 11:57:13 PM »
We played an FA Cup match at Burnley around then, I think. My Dad got me two tickets. They were ten bob each. My mate got one from the club and the tight sod wouldn't have the ticket that I got him. Just as well as that ticket, complete with stub, is worth much more than ten bob now!   

The cup tie was Feb16 1974, lost 1 - 0.
I caught the last train from Lichfield to Aston on the Saturday and slept in the shelter on the station, ready for when the tickets went on sale on the Sunday morning for this game. Bloody freezing it was too. Got to Burnley and was not pleased to see you could pay at the gate, as we had loads of unsold tickets left!.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 12:14:27 AM »

The cup tie was Feb16 1974, lost 1 - 0.
I caught the last train from Lichfield to Aston on the Saturday and slept in the shelter on the station, ready for when the tickets went on sale on the Sunday morning for this game. Bloody freezing it was too. Got to Burnley and was not pleased to see you could pay at the gate, as we had loads of unsold tickets left!.
I travelled from Croydon to Burnley for that game, a long trip. We fought hard against a team in the top flight, but we just weren't good enough. That was really the story of our season, apart from the heroics against Arsenal the previous round, and Vic Crowe and Ron Wylie were sacked at the end of the season, when it became obvious that they could take the club no further. They were replaced by Ron Saunders, and the glory years were about to begin.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 09:26:19 AM »
Got lost on the way to Norwich in Villa's first season back in the First Division after promotion under Ron Saunders and missed the entire first half, we were battered and losing 4-1 I think, eventually losing the game 5-3 with Boyer and McDougall running us ragged. Stopped in Ipswich on the way back for a few pints and were battered there as well !
Was also at Dean Court when Bournemouth beat us 3-0 as mentioned earlier, Boyer and McDougall (before they joined Norwich) again causing us all sorts of problems, we were awful that day, so defensively set up and no 'plan B'.
Losing to Bury 3-1 at Gigg Lane in the Third Division the week before the League Cup Final was pretty crap, too.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 01:28:19 PM »
Losing 3-0 at the Sty. I was in a box with John Frain's cousin. as an annoying 18 year old at the time I did nothing but sing The Ozzie Bozzie for 45 minutes. He went mental when they went 1-0 up.  As did I for Darius's disallowed goal.  When they went 2-0 up he was giving it some in the box to the Villa fans infront as we we're in a box at the back. My Dad decided to punch him in the face during the seccond half, and left shortly after the third.

Doncaster 3-0 in the League Cup is definately another low ebb. Thought we'd cruise that game, and loved the fact we we're on terracing. We all know what happened that night.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 01:26:58 PM »
I remember going to Ipswich for a relegation battle under SGTII I think, one of the worst games I have ever seen was settled by a last minute OG by a guy named Chris Swailes. We had a pint or two and went to catch the connection back to Peterborough only to get on a train going in the opposite direction, went back only to be told we had missed the last train and we could either go to London and maybe make the last train or wait until the morning. Ended up getting a taxi from Ipswich to Peterborough at a cost of £120.00.

Not the best of days.

I was at his game for my sins, an awful match with an own goal which was celebrated like the winner..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal