collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Worst away day ever.  (Read 20485 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Worst away day ever.
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:06:15 AM »
Not just losing, but everything that can go wrong does go wrong.

Boxing Day 1976 Middlesbrough away.
My Mom and Dad are going in his nice big fancy Datsun hes just got. I could go and do the driving but no, I have to travel up with a mate in my mini 850 and be independent. Who wants to go with their parents when your 19 ?
The games lost 3-2, getting out of town Im actually behind my Dad at the traffic lights as they change, he moves off and I stall. Bye dad ! The car wont start and the headlights are flickering as I try to get going, I pull the choke out to see if that does the trick. Oops, in my temper Ive really pulled the choke out, as in I now have a a button with a piece of loose cable in my hand. Thats an added problem as the car wasnt ticking over right before and for a few days Ive been driving with the choke just ever so ever so slightly out so it didnt cut out. Ok I get out we need to get help, now its started to snow, real snow. I find a garage and the guy comes out and tows us in, charges us about £30 to charge the battery up and get us going. As long as I drive and keep my foot on the gas a bit at all times it wont cut out, sort of improvise using my other foot to the brake. About 30 miles down the lights are starting to dim, it dawns on me that the battery isnt charging so if I stop and I wont get started again. So now, as long as I drive non stop to Birmingham through the snow with the headlights getting dimmer and keep my foot on the gas at all times so it doesnt cut out we will be ok. Dont forget there was no fast road from the M1 then, so Ive got to negotiate down through Ashby and Measham when you come off at Castle Donnington. I nearly made it, I very nearly made it. 2/3 miles from home I stall at a set of traffic lights. After walking through snow drifts in Walmley at 2 in the morning I get to a phone box and the old man comes out to the rescue (they were back at about 8pm).
"Thats its dad, I aint ever going to an away match again!"
"Calm down son, you will you will"

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Re: Worst away day ever.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 06:56:22 PM »
Marvellous!

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 07:47:34 AM »
Surprised this hasn't got more responses.

My worst would be the infamous Nottingham Forest season opening game about twenty years ago - despite it being warm, sunny and being back in Brum about 6pm.

A creditible mention to Pompey in March 2008 - lost 2-0, it pissed down all day, a friend got into fistycuffs with some old codger and the whole atmosphere on the coach travelling back was just horrible.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 12:42:03 PM »
FA Cup 3rd round replay at Plough Lane in 1991.

120 minutes on an open terrace in the driving rain, for the privilge of seeing Villa lose it to a long punt upfield in the 119th minute.

Three things always stick with me from that night.

(1) En route from the Tube station to the ground, I passed an ambulance treating a Villa fan who had been knocked down on the bridge that crossed over the railway lines.  I don't know how serious it was, but I did think during the course of the game that I would gladly change places with him, if only to be warm and dry and tucked up in a hospital bed.

(2) I'd gone straight to the game from the job I then had in London.  My suit and shoes got ruined.

(3) The strange feeling of relief when Wimbledon scored.  It had already been announced that should a second replay be necessary, then it would also be played at Plough Lane.   It was like, thank goodness I won't have to come here again next week.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »

My worst would be the infamous Nottingham Forest season opening game about twenty years ago - despite it being warm, sunny and being back in Brum about 6pm.

What was infamous about it? Should probably remember but I don't.

Was just a year or so before I started to go away regularly, had only been to a handful of away games before that.

IIRC it wasn't a bad game -if it's the 89/90 one. Mountfield scored for us and they equalised second half.

Purely results and performance wise it would have to be Arsenal away in 1991. 5-0 and Spink off injured.  But as often happens in those kind of circumstances we were that bad you could only laugh...for a bit. Cheering David Platt's goal kicks was about as good as it got.

Grimsby away was always fun too. Shit town, shithole stadium and throwback fans still living the 70's dream.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 09:54:44 PM »
Not so much infamous for the game or the result, but the 500-or so Villa locked out of the away end (I was one of them) and a few hundred more locked in a cage at Nottingham station without basic facilities.

Offline stuart r

• Location: Highley (Home of the Gerry Hitchens Fitness Suite at the local leisure centre- He started his career with Highley Miners Welfare)
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 01:11:01 PM »
Boxing Day 92... Serious championship contenders and we get gubbed 3-0 at Highfield Road... Inexplicable... We made the strike partnership of fat Mick Quinn and lumbering Robert Rosario look like world beaters... Still can't quite believe it really happened.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 04:22:22 PM »
Boxing Day 1982. Trounced at The Sty.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 04:23:22 PM »
Both of the above....

Offline andyaston

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 04:10:34 PM »
Boxing Day 1982. Trounced at The Sty.

That, as a kid scarred me much. We were champs of Europe and they did us 3-0 and celebrated as though they had won the world cup.

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 11:22:04 PM »
Not so much infamous for the game or the result, but the 500-or so Villa locked out of the away end (I was one of them) and a few hundred more locked in a cage at Nottingham station without basic facilities.

IIRC Charlie Royle of Glaisyers Solicitors represented some of the Villa fans 'illegally' caged, but I can't remember the outcome. Can anyone shed any light on what happened?

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 08:57:37 AM »
Losing 3-0 at the Valley to Charlton after taking 48 different methods of transport to get to the game wasn't fun.

Also the FA Cup Semi-Final against Chelsea last season, does that count as an away trip? I'd never seen so many fans unconscious, seemed to be loads of fighting before and after the game.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 07:04:29 PM »
Wembley 2000, for obvious reasons. Still the lowest, sickest, most gutwrenching feeling i've ever had after a Villa game. Sheff Wed at home in 87 doesn't even come close. Assuming Wembley counts as an away that is.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 08:53:40 PM »
No mentions of being beat 3-0 by blose in the league? What was the night actually like aside from horrific shambolic and embarressing? What was it like around the ground before and after? Inside the ground?
Anyways my worst away day was the 3-2 defeat by manure the other year, thought we'd finally done it, then Ronaldo decided he wants to play football and Macheda well, hasnt done much since has he?

Online Lucky Eddie

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »
What was the night actually like aside from horrific shambolic and embarressing? What was it like around the ground before and after? Inside the ground?

It was absolutely horrible!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal