collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who in our current squad is good enough for CL football?  (Read 9446 times)

Online TaxDodger

Re: Who in our current squad is good enough for CL football?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 05:03:44 PM »
I think the likes of Ashley Young, Cuellar, Ireland and Gabby are all definitely good enough to make a decent contribution in the Champions League on their day. Hopefully in the not too distant future we'll be able to add Albrighton and Delph to the list too.

Offline KRS

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 05:42:58 PM »
If they are good enough to qualify for CL then they are good enough to play CL. Its that simple really.

Unfortunately we havent been good enough to qualify yet and need strengthening particularly in midfield and up front.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 06:27:14 PM »
We have players who can play CL football. Trouble is we just don't have enough of them. The CL is the pinnacle of the squad game, and we don't have the squad yet. However, if some of the young players continue to develop then we may be closer than we look already.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 07:10:07 PM »
I reckon all of them, as someone said in 82 there weren't any world beaters, if we can start to play good football who knows what could happen

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 08:08:41 PM »
I reckon all of them, as someone said in 82 there weren't any world beaters, if we can start to play good football who knows what could happen

Not just someone, it was  ....  Villa `Cross The Mersey   ;)

Online Monty

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 08:11:18 PM »
Sid was as good as any midfielder in Europe at the time, but other than that it's true that we didn't have the best XI players on the continent. What we had was the best team, or one of the best teams, for a few glorious seasons. They were players who knew each others' games inside out, who played for each other and not for themselves. That's how you win trophies.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 08:22:22 PM »

Not just someone, it was  ....  Villa `Cross The Mersey   ;)

Apologies @)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 08:50:46 PM »
We have players who aren't exactly inferior to the likes of Bassong, Crouch, Corluka and co.

In fact I'd say most of the players we have on the books wouldn't look out of place and could probably hold their own against AZAlkmaar, Cluj and co today.

What we need are the players good enough and a squad with enough depth to get us across the line in a 38 game season. That's the hard bit, having gas in the tank to  beat enough sides in England to give us a chance. We've gone reasonably close with 17 wins in both of the last two seasons. To improve on that and qualify you'd be looking at needing to win 18-20 matches.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 10:43:27 PM »
Gary shaw young player of the year, Gordon Cowans almost genius, Morley we still haven seen a winger as good as he was for a couple of seasons Denis Mortimer probably the best uncapped England player ever.
i think we fall into the trap of not appreciating how good those guys were just like the media and the FA did at that time

Offline Archie

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 09:53:23 AM »
Gary shaw young player of the year, Gordon Cowans almost genius, Morley we still haven seen a winger as good as he was for a couple of seasons Denis Mortimer probably the best uncapped England player ever.
i think we fall into the trap of not appreciating how good those guys were just like the media and the FA did at that time

Agree.
Maybe we didn't have one Maradona, but I often sees the DVD of the 1980-81 season, and I'm absolutely convinced that in our current squad we are far from having players  like Mortimer, Shaw, Withe, Cowans, and Morley. And do we want to compare the awful pair of cd Dunne & Collins with Evans and Mc Naught? Or the pair of fb  Swan and Gibson with L. Young and Warnock?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 03:48:22 PM by Archie »

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 10:41:55 AM »
Warnock, Luke Young, Ashley Young, Cueller, Brad senior, Ireland and possibly Gabby and Carew.

We'd probably need a better central midfield and I think Albrighton and Delp will be CL quality one day.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 02:59:14 PM »
Sid was as good as any midfielder in Europe at the time, but other than that it's true that we didn't have the best XI players on the continent. What we had was the best team, or one of the best teams, for a few glorious seasons. They were players who knew each others' games inside out, who played for each other and not for themselves. That's how you win trophies.

That`s just as I see it - agreed Morley, Mortimer, Shaw and Cowans were good players however they were not "world or top European quality". For me the greatest team I have ever seen in my lifetime, however I can recall some good stuff played by the likes of Little, Gidman, Andy Gray, Keith Leonard et al.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 06:23:14 PM »
None of our current squad proved good enough (albeit collectively, but then it is a team sport) for the Europa, again, so one step at a time an'all that.

Online Monty

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »

That`s just as I see it - agreed Morley, Mortimer, Shaw and Cowans were good players however they were not "world or top European quality". For me the greatest team I have ever seen in my lifetime, however I can recall some good stuff played by the likes of Little, Gidman, Andy Gray, Keith Leonard et al.

I'd say Sid was genuinely top class, while Morley was as good as any inside-out winger in Europe on his day, while Mortimer and Shaw had truly great games while their general, bread-and-butter level was very good rather than top-class. But the fact that they'd played together for so many years, knew each others' games so well - that's what made them. Teams need the type of repetitive training over time that GH's installing to get to know each other really well on the field, and I'm hoping that, with that, almost all of the players we have can more than hold their own at the top level.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 10:38:13 PM »
We can dream I suppose.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal