collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Half-Season Ticket Prices  (Read 15298 times)

Offline rutski

Re: Half-Season Ticket Prices
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2010, 07:20:12 PM »
The key point is that increasingly, if the various forums are to be believed (yes I know the internet is not the real world!), ST holders are starting to feel aggrieved that their loyalty in paying up front is being eroded.

Again, the view of the minority is blown up as the view of the majority.

From running through this thread there are 4 people who roughly fall in to the "The club is ripping season ticket holders off" camp (being mrvilla, pauliewalnuts, rutski, PMcGNo5Shirt) and 8 in the "The club are just doing what they can to sell tickets and I don't mind it" camp (being me, toronto, pete3206, clampy, chrissmith, johnm, villaalways, ukredsox). 

Some of those are borderline but hopefully it's a pretty clear indication that the majority think the club are doing the right thing and it's not going to affect future season ticket sales.
i would actually like to know who out of the 'passive8' go to all the games? I know toronto does not as he lives inanother country, but more importantly how many season ticket holders do not mind deals getting dished out willy nilly!

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2010, 07:49:04 PM »
<head above parapet>

I'm a season ticket holder and I don't mind deals being given out willy and indeed nilly!

<runs and ducks>

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2010, 08:12:38 PM »
I've always paid per game as I have been unable to attend some games due to other commitments.I have just commited to a half season ticket as a trial really.If things work out ie being able to attend most games ( although Spurz is already out of the window).I would commit to a full season ticket next year.So looking at it that way,presuming other people are in the same position as me it's a positive thing especially if the football is improving on the pitch hopefully the uptake will increase

I am one of the passive 8 and this is my current stand on the issue

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2010, 08:40:17 PM »
The key point is that increasingly, if the various forums are to be believed (yes I know the internet is not the real world!), ST holders are starting to feel aggrieved that their loyalty in paying up front is being eroded.

Again, the view of the minority is blown up as the view of the majority.

From running through this thread there are 4 people who roughly fall in to the "The club is ripping season ticket holders off" camp (being mrvilla, pauliewalnuts, rutski, PMcGNo5Shirt) and 8 in the "The club are just doing what they can to sell tickets and I don't mind it" camp (being me, toronto, pete3206, clampy, chrissmith, johnm, villaalways, ukredsox). 

Some of those are borderline but hopefully it's a pretty clear indication that the majority think the club are doing the right thing and it's not going to affect future season ticket sales.
i would actually like to know who out of the 'passive8' go to all the games? I know toronto does not as he lives inanother country, but more importantly how many season ticket holders do not mind deals getting dished out willy nilly!

I wasn't trying to dismiss or disrespect the views of any season ticket holder. On the contrary I have a great deal of respect for them, as I used to be one myself. My stance is that I want our ground to be full. I want our board to be able give the manager money to spend on players. I want our board to be able improve VP and its services. I don't care if someone when the calculations are all broken down on average spent a couple of quid less than me per ticket, but ultimately could only afford to buy half a season ticket or a 5 game pack or whatever. I honestly don't care. I want more of my VP brothers in the stadium making a lot of noise and cheering the team to victory. What I despise is empty seats and the impression it portrays of ourselves as fans of this great club. Yes, times are difficult, but other top teams seems to sell out while charging more than we do. If by having various packages we arrest this decline and fill the stadium then I'm 100% behind it.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2010, 08:08:49 AM »
That's the point - it might fill the ground a couple more tines this season but what are the long term effects on season ticket holder numbers?

If the longer term (ie next season) impact is to reduce full season tickwt holder numbers then it is short term gain, long term loss.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2010, 08:17:59 AM »

One of the themes of this thread, Adam, is that you're clearly not actually reading what people are saying.

I have been at pains to say I understand why they're doing it, that I don't have a problem with it from my own point of view, and I have at no point whatsoever even hinted that "the club are ripping people off".

I pointed out that they're diminishing the benefits for ST holders and that it is a fine line to walk.

If you see that as "the club are eviil, they're ripping us of" then that's your shout, but you're wrong.

You cite an example of eight people thinking it's not a problem at all, and four thinking it could be and then use that as an indication that most people think it won't affect season ticket sales.

Do you think the club would be comfortable for one in every three eason ticket holders to be thinking about whether there's any financial value in buying a season ticket?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:55:13 AM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »
One of the themes of this thread, Adam, is that you're clearly not actually reading what people are saying.

Who's being dismissive now paulie?

I am reading every post but I fundamentally disagree with you.  Your points seem to be two fold - 1) that the club devalues season tickets by introducing offers during the season for non-season ticket holders; and 2) that if the club keep doing this they'll reduce season ticket holder numbers.

On the first point, for them to devalue something it must be worth less than it was before.  As long as I've had a season ticket (which is a good few years now) the club have issued half season tickets and also done deals during the season.  It happens.  Anyone who thinks that they're buying a season ticket on the basis all games will be full price if they don't is being naive.  So where's the devaluation?

On your second point I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.  There is a small number of people on here who have raised an issue on what I consider to be either a hunch or flawed logic, depending on your point of view.  The realities are that a season ticket remains the cheapest way to watch the team (which I also think was what the marketing literature said at the start of the season) and that's unchanged despite some posters announcing that it's not or that they think I might not be.

You're dead right that if the club created a situation where season tickets lose this status as the cheapest way to watch a game we'd have an issue but they haven't and I don't think we do.

Do you think the club would be comfortable for one in every three eason ticket holders to be thinking about whether there's any financial value in buying a season ticket?

Where's the evidence this is the case?  As above, a small number of people in a small sample made a point they thought season tickets weren't cheaper when compared to other offers.  We've since pretty much proven that's not the case.  I'd hope that by putting some maths into this some of those people feel slightly comforted that their value is still there.  If so, then the issue becomes even less.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2010, 01:59:13 PM »
That's the point - it might fill the ground a couple more tines this season but what are the long term effects on season ticket holder numbers?

If the longer term (ie next season) impact is to reduce full season tickwt holder numbers then it is short term gain, long term loss.

Paulie, I completely disagree with you that 1) Having offers during the season is less valuable than a season ticket holder, and that season ticket holders make a decision on "their" purchase decision based on what may or may not be offered by the club during the season. Each person is independent in that respect, and they will have to factor their own finances as it relates to the product on offer and in some respects their degree of loyalty to the club. By offering such deals, as it did for me when I first had a half season ticket, it got me to love the club more. For many who couldn't afford a full package in the summer, it will give them a taste and hopefully influence more of them to buy full tickets the following season. That is the intent of the club. I cannot imagine that most season ticket holders will look at this and suggest the club are screwing them, or indeed, if they don't know about this, turn to the bloke next the them at the ground, asking him what he paid, do a quick calculation and suddenly become disgruntled. The product on their field and their own finances will influence that more that anything else.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2010, 04:01:27 PM »
I would have thought that the lower the saving to be had by paying in advance, the less attractive it is is basic economics.

NB Adam,.I'm not saying its going to become zero saving, just less of a saving.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2010, 07:18:04 PM »
It becomes even more of an issue if ST holders are forced to miss a game or two due to changed KO times, then there is definitely a chance that they won't make any savings.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2010, 11:08:53 PM »
I think the matchday prices were pitched far too high at the start of the season. Bearing in mind the visitors so far at Villa Park, the crowds have not been that bad. But, I can't see any game selling out this season because we have a clutch of 'AA' fixtures within a couple of months and the prices will put people off, especially when people can watch all games in certain pubs now.

The club is in a dicey position and I think, very worried about declining attendances. Special offers therefore are unavoidable because they feel they must do something, anything to get punters back through the turnstiles. As a season ticket holder, it narks me a bit, but I'd rather see 38,000 in the ground, than 32,000. Plus, I've always got my regular seat anyway and avoid the big panic whenever the really special occasions come around (as rare as they are).

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2010, 11:11:21 PM »
It becomes even more of an issue if ST holders are forced to miss a game or two due to changed KO times, then there is definitely a chance that they won't make any savings.

That's a good point Dave. I think refunds should be available if you can't make a game.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2010, 12:04:50 AM »
I think the matchday prices were pitched far too high at the start of the season. Bearing in mind the visitors so far at Villa Park, the crowds have not been that bad. But, I can't see any game selling out this season because we have a clutch of 'AA' fixtures within a couple of months and the prices will put people off, especially when people can watch all games in certain pubs now.

The club is in a dicey position and I think, very worried about declining attendances. Special offers therefore are unavoidable because they feel they must do something, anything to get punters back through the turnstiles.As a season ticket holder, it narks me a bit, but I'd rather see 38,000 in the ground, than 32,000. Plus, I've always got my regular seat anyway and avoid the big panic whenever the really special occasions come around (as rare as they are).

Those are my thoughts on the issue, although it doesn't really nark me that much with relation to my own ST.

My single worry about this is that having had to use all these offers this season, next season we'll find ourselves with fewer season ticket holders than we did this season, as those people will be looking at the narrowed financial incentive, thinking that they can wait a short amount of time (three home games is it? or four? brain stopped working) and see what the half season ticket offer is like.

I'll still renew mine (assuming no catastrophic change in my personal circumstances), but I do wonder how many of the other 25,000 or so of us will think the same way, especially when the economic situation gets tighter and forces tougher decisions - it won't be a case of "can't afford it, can't go" for everyone in a tricky situation, the level of saving achieved by buying a ST is going to be a key factor for many people.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal