collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Speedway - A different kind of sport  (Read 55407 times)

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
Re: Speedway - A different kind of sport
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2011, 06:12:23 PM »
Holder bottles the big occassion? Can't agree there. He's hardly been in any big occassions....only 23, first year in the GP's and didn't look out of place, won the big one, qualified for next year. He'll be world champion within the next 5 years...

Offline Linus

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 08:18:53 PM »
Holder bottles the big occassion? Can't agree there. He's hardly been in any big occassions....only 23, first year in the GP's and didn't look out of place, won the big one, qualified for next year. He'll be world champion within the next 5 years...
Play-off final? ;)

Offline villa1

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 09:39:22 PM »
When the Heathens still ran from Cradley I used to be able to hear and smell the speedway from my garden, yet I never actually went. It's something I do regret.

They almost came back last year but their application for a stadium on the land they identified was turned down.

Offline avfcpg

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 02:34:27 AM »
Play-off final? ;)

Bottled or just had a bad meet? Hmm thought you meant BIG meetings...not the sky play offs !! ;-)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 08:53:13 AM »
Whilst on holiday in France over New Year I got to chat with Len Silver, ex-rider and former England Speedway manager. He's now a track owner/promoter and still skiing every day at 78.

A really interesting guy to talk to.

Offline Linus

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 10:22:03 PM »
He's a legend. Just released an autobiography.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 08:09:19 AM »
He's a legend. Just released an autobiography.

I ordered that whilst I was in France. It should arrive any day now.

If it wasn't for the daughter of Len's business partner letting slip who he was (ie the owner of the Ski company and a speedway legend), we'd have just thought that he was "Len the old ski guide".
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:12:23 AM by UK Redsox »

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 01:55:04 AM »
Looks like this could turn nasty.

Coventry Statement

Offline Linus

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 11:09:37 AM »
It's absolutely going to turn nasty. From what I know, Coventry and Peterborough have a very good case against the BSPA, and certain individuals there from the south coast and the black country should be sweating a little. I think the nearer it gets to going to court, the more pressure will be put on those individuals to back down and accept Coventry & Peterborough back under compromise conditions. If it goes to court, it will fundamentally change the way speedway is run in this country, which may not be a bad thing, but will certainly end the genetlemen's agreements and backhanders that proliferate currently.

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2011, 09:43:51 AM »
I'm hearing rumours that the BSPA are doing a deal with Cov & P'boro this week to enable them to compete this year, not sure what it is though but I hope something can be sorted because starting a season without the defending champions is ridiculous.

Offline avfcpg

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2011, 09:14:50 PM »
I'm hearing rumours that the BSPA are doing a deal with Cov & P'boro this week to enable them to compete this year, not sure what it is though but I hope something can be sorted because starting a season without the defending champions is ridiculous.

But Poole are riding this season..
Oh, you mean the sky play off winners ;-)

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2011, 05:41:25 AM »

But Poole are riding this season..
Oh, you mean the sky play off winners ;-)

tut tut, good job i've got a beer in my hand & 3 days off work or i'd be hitting these keys with a lot more force  ;D

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »
No speedway this year for Cov or P/Boro.

Coventry Bees statement

British Speedway Statement

Peterborough Panthers Statement

It's a shame I was hoping they could resolve it somehow. This season will be a false one now without 2 of the top 4 sides competing.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:55:40 PM by Warren Aspinall »

Offline Linus

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 06:47:09 PM »
Sky are looking for a way out of their TV contract - they don't want a league that has no reigning champions in it!

Offline mikeb1982

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 08:11:15 PM »
I remember a mate of mine at school went to see the World Speedway final at Wembley ( musy have been between 1979-1981). There were 100,000 there.

I can remember Bruce Penhall ( didn't he move from Cradely Heath to being the star of CHIPS?) and Ivan Majors ( spelling?) the Polish, Kiwi hero, Hans neilsen and Davbe Jessup

and Ole Ollsen.

Used to be able to hear the bikes racing from our house

Erik Gundersen broke the track record at that meeting, in his first world final.  The record stood until they pulled the old wembley down

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal