collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by dave.woodhall
[Today at 02:58:42 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by usav
[Today at 02:54:57 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:51:32 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:47:35 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by SaddVillan
[Today at 02:46:45 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by aldridgeboy
[Today at 02:45:33 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 02:45:13 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Drummond
[Today at 02:36:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hungry Heskey: Ken McNaught's view  (Read 1704 times)

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Hungry Heskey: Ken McNaught's view
« on: October 04, 2010, 06:55:06 PM »
From Pravda:

Former star defender Ken McNaught has been impressed with Emile Heskey's stellar performances this season, stressing his substitution early on against Tottenham was a major factor in Villa's defeat.

McNaught was on hand at White Hart Lane as AVTV's co-commentator and was thrilled to see Heskey at his very best - leading the line and bullying defenders.

The 1982 European Cup winner was gutted to see the powerful forward subbed with a deadleg because he was playing a major part in proceedings.

He told AVTV: "I thought it was a harsh result for Villa, especially after the first half performance. Villa could have edged it.

"Although Tottenham had a lot of possession in that opening period, we scored the goal and created plenty of other chances.

"For them to get the equaliser in the final moments gave them great heart ahead of the second half.

"It changed the game in their favour plus I think Emile's absence after getting injured was also important.

"Emile worked his socks off and did tremendously for the goal.

"That was the Emile of old. He was pushing centre-halves all over the place and showed great power to get control of the ball in the first place.

"He shouldn't have got anywhere near it but he showed great desire, got it and squared it into the box.

"Then we lost Emile and we lost the goal in the final few minutes of the first half, which was hard to take.

"In the second half, Tottenham upped their game although we did have a few chances of our own. Unfortunately it just wasn't to be."

McNaught also paid tribute to Marc Albrighton and Ashley Young for their impact.

He added: "Marc [Albrighton] showed great courage to get in there to finish the chance.

"It was great to see Marc putting in the crosses too. The quality of the crosses was tremendous.

"Ashley's link-up play with Emile was superb also. Ashley was finding the space out there.

"We have to remember that Tottenham are no pushovers - they will be pushing for Europe again this season. I am sure they will have a great run in Europe this season too.

"There are good things to come for Villa. These are early days in the Gerard Houllier era."

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Hungry Heskey: Ken McNaught's view
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 07:15:57 PM »
The Emile Heskey we saw for the goal was one none of us had seen before in a Villa shirt. He looked possessed at times in his desire.

I agree with the last two sentences in particular. Lots to do, but the early signs are good under Houllier. He'll sign more technically gifted players during the next few windows. A nice thought indeed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal