collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Attendance-a worrying trend  (Read 18719 times)

Online spangley1812

Re: Attendance-a worrying trend
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 06:15:25 PM »
It will as continue after xmas as if you look at the fixtures, the club will not sell too many half season tickets

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 06:23:57 PM »
Everybody's having to make cutbacks myself included so i think these cheap ticket deals are welcomed so people can still see there team without being left out.

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 06:28:57 PM »
These offers may well reduce the value of having a season ticket but it's worth bearing in mind that it's still cheaper than buying individual tickets and there are other benefits like priority in cup/away games.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 06:47:52 PM »
Aren't they bundling the attractive fixtures (Chelsea, MU, Arse) with the less so ones to up the attendance of the lesser ones rather than because they're struggling on the attractive ones?

The problem is this 5 match offer is Chelsea, Blues, Blackpool, Manu and Arsenal.  So we are bundling 4 games that  in previous seasons were  gauranteed sell outs with 1 , Blackpool, weak  attendance game.

Just about every club is noticing a drop in attendances this season. I'm sure I read that even man ure struggled to sell all their season tickets this year.

As for ambition, my ambition for Villa is the same every season (expectations are a different matter) so why should I ever change it? And I would hope that the board never lowers its ambitions.

I agree  that most teams are suffering and as others pointed out  I also noted  an almost empty  upper tier  in the main stand at WH Lane.
My ambition comment was about  capacity not  aims for the team on the pitch.

My ambition comment encompassed all areas.
The current financial climate won't last forever, should we break into the "Sky 4/5/6/" and be challenging top 4, we would benefit from an increased capacity.

My long term ambitions are that we try and break into the top 4 on a regular basis and start challenging regularly for trophies as well as, obviously, competing in the CL.
I would very much hope the board have the same ambitions, of which an increased capacity would be an integral part.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »
One thing that does annoy me, we often seem to be picked out by the media regarding attendances, but they rarely make a similar comment about their favourites.

Not too many mentions of where some of the die hard, never miss a match since they were an embryo, most loyal fans in the world (car)Toon Army have vanished too. Or the fact only 18K dippers could be bothered to watch their game against Northampton.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 07:24:50 PM »
Along with a recession, I'm convinced part of the problem is that people are catching on to the fact that the playing field gets ever more uneven year on year.  Look at the 'top 4' tonight.  Liverpool are skint and look at where they are (aren't?).  Success is now utterly determined by who owns your club.  So, pick you games, support your club as best you can.  But unless you support Man City, Manu Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal chances are you will not win anything this season and the odds are getting longer every year.  Not exactly the most enticing for the floating majority. 

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 08:02:26 PM »
End of the day the matchday prices have been pitched too high this year.

The club has I think approx. 25k season ticket holders? So with 3 away fans that leaves almost 15k tickets to sell for fans on a match by match basis.

Now it seems to me we have a lot of Category AA games coming up.

That means a ticket for the upper Witton and Upper trinity is I think 43 quid and in the Holte it's 36 quid.

Given you can sit in the north stand for 25 or 30 quid then I really don't see the motivation to spend an extra tenner elsewhere.

And that's just for one individual for just the match ticket without taking into account getting to and from the game, food etc. It's just too expensive.

I took up the 5 game multipackage deal as it saves me 43 quid so it had to be done really.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 09:47:31 PM »
End of the day the matchday prices have been pitched too high this year.

The club has I think approx. 25k season ticket holders? So with 3 away fans that leaves almost 15k tickets to sell for fans on a match by match basis.

Now it seems to me we have a lot of Category AA games coming up.

That means a ticket for the upper Witton and Upper trinity is I think 43 quid and in the Holte it's 36 quid.

Given you can sit in the north stand for 25 or 30 quid then I really don't see the motivation to spend an extra tenner elsewhere.

And that's just for one individual for just the match ticket without taking into account getting to and from the game, food etc. It's just too expensive.

I took up the 5 game multipackage deal as it saves me 43 quid so it had to be done really.

You can understand the reasons why the match day price is so high when you're playing the likes of Heskey, Sidwell, Davies, and Carew around £180,000 per week.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 12:35:09 AM »
How much of the turnstyle money really goes on the wages though when all the clubs get untold millions from the domestic and overseas tv deals for a start?

Was looking at an old programme from the 2004-05 the other day and flicked to the ticket section. Think the dearest ticket in Villa Park that season was at 26 quid so it's risen nearly 20 quid in 5 years.

We've improved a bit in that period but I wouldn't say the quality of football generally has by that much.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 12:55:24 AM »
As a slight aside, i've heard more than one whisper of quite a few "big" clubs inflating attendance figures on more than one occasion.

Still, makes a change from the 70s and 80s practice of those funny turnstiles that took money but didn't record people actually record anyone entering the ground. They even used to do that down the Rovers, to such a degree, I was at one midweek cup match and when the official crowd was announced, everyone burst out laughing it was so low compared to the amount in the ground.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 01:02:43 AM »
The Rovers? Who do that be - Bromsgrove, Melchester?

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 01:10:02 AM »
The Rovers? Who do that be - Bromsgrove, Melchester?

Bromsgrove.

It was mid 80s, I think, either an FAC or FAT replay against Barnet or Newcastle Blue Star (my memory is so good on some things!) and as we went whenever Villa weren't playing/couldn't afford the Villa, we could tell what the crowd was. The general consensus was about 1200, the "official" gate was about 500. Even the away fans were laughing.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 01:29:28 AM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 01:12:33 AM »
I wonder how much clubs are bothered about matchday attendances now, with the amount of TV money they get.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 01:34:38 AM »
I wonder how much clubs are bothered about matchday attendances now, with the amount of TV money they get.

I would have thought most clubs are still bothered. I doubt gate money matters in the slightest at man city, but if you take a 40,000 gate at say, £30 a head on average, I can't see any other club not being interested in £1.2mill 19+ times a season.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 01:49:08 AM »

I would have thought most clubs are still bothered. I doubt gate money matters in the slightest at man city, but if you take a 40,000 gate at say, £30 a head on average, I can't see any other club not being interested in £1.2mill 19+ times a season.

You're not looking at the total but the difference between a good gate and a bad one. The money does add up, but I wonder how many clubs think it doesn't really matter.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal