collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa Match Thread  (Read 78173 times)

Offline IRISHPHIL

Re: Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 02:33:15 PM »
no fullbacks on subs bench, unless he carlos

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 02:34:17 PM »
I suppose Dunne's reading of the game might be better, and against Spurs that might mean more than Cuellar's physical and aerial dominance. That's all I can think of, anyway.

I think physical and aerial ability is what we need today, especially with Crouch and Pavlychenko playing. We'll have to see. Very harsh on Cuellar though.

Gomes; Hutton, Bassong, Huddlestone, Assou-Ekotto; van der Vaart, Jenas, Modric, Bale; Crouch, Pav. Subs: Cudicini, Corluka, Kranjcar, Lennon, Palacios, Sandro, Keane.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 02:34:29 PM »
It's a very attacking spurs team isn't it? I can see us coming under some pressure. I would have thought this was a game to play three in central midfield, and who knows, Downing may play there. They are lkely to be susceptible at the back, but will we take enough of our chances and will we be able to withstand what I think will be a huge amount of pressure at times?

Would take a draw, no question

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 02:37:22 PM »
Amazed by the call to bring Dunney back for Cuellar.

I'm thinking that Spurs are not one of those teams we can afford to give the ball back to through bad passes or clearances. Maybe Dunne just edged it there. In this new era maybe we'll see more horses for courses type selections. We also need to see the squad rotated so factor that in too. Dunne's a quality footballer, so I'm not overly concerned. I just want to see the team transition more and more every game into a possession first outfit. This will be a solid test.

Offline gti2win

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 02:38:08 PM »
I thought we might of pushed ash back onto wing and brought in ireland today for either albrighton or downing, giving us three in midfield with ireland pulling the strings, can see us needing to try and contol midfield and build from there

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 02:39:34 PM »
I can't get iraq goals to work at the momet, so streams welcome!

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 02:40:35 PM »
I'm not at all convinced by Spurs' formation. Their 4-4-2 has two very advanced and often immobile strikers, so with our two holding players we may be able to isolate them. They will cut in from the flanks, though, to try and control the centre of the field, so there may be an opportunity for us to counter-attack with the full-backs.

Offline KRS

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 02:42:13 PM »
They have to go attacking because their defence is so bad, but I'd like to think our defence can handle Crouch and Pav.

Bassong and Huddlestone as their central defenders?
Jenas and Modric as their central midfield?

Both teams have lightweight midfield but this game is there for the taking if our forwards are on form with their make shift defence.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 02:45:16 PM »
Uh oh.  Dunne has looked overweight and poor this season.  Cuellar came in and looked very good, so dropping him seems very harsh.  It's not like Dunne was in good form before his injury.  He'd better have a good game today.

Offline djbone

• GM : 16.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 02:45:48 PM »
I'm not at all convinced by Spurs' formation. Their 4-4-2 has two very advanced and often immobile strikers, so with our two holding players we may be able to isolate them. They will cut in from the flanks, though, to try and control the centre of the field, so there may be an opportunity for us to counter-attack with the full-backs.

Liking the optimism mate. Have the pleasure of watching from among the home fans today so hope you're right

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 02:46:45 PM »
It's a shame that Gabby's injured. Huddlestone will be very important for them in possession, he'll step out from the back as their midfield is so forward thinking. If Gabby were playing he could have really pressed him and made life difficult. Having said that, it's Heskey playing not big John, so we could sit Emile on top of Huddlestone, who isn't the quickest himself, and have the same effect.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 02:48:59 PM »
Cuellar won't be amused by his omission, after playing a blinder at Wolves.
Dunne was awful, prior to his injury.

Offline supertom

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 02:49:15 PM »
That's a worrying decision. It's an O Neill decision. Carlos was man of the match last week. We looked so much the better for having him alongside Collins than Dunne. Dunnes been poor this season and certainly coming back from an injury so soon, on top of carrying his timber, means he's not gonna be fully fit.

All I can sense is that Houllier wants a commanding leader in the backline to keep Warnock and Young in check, but still, I'd have dropped Collins before Cueller. But in all honesty Dunney should be the one warming the bench.

From early signs I figured GH had more sense than that. Still, win today and there's nothing to complain about. If Dunney fouls up, on Houlliers head be it. I don't buy the aerial presence thing, because Cueller is more than capable in that department.

Offline djbone

• GM : 16.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 02:55:24 PM »
Looks like Clark's definitely ahead of Curtis now as well?

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 02:56:47 PM »
Anyone got a decent stream yet?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal