collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby is having minor surgery.  (Read 6082 times)

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
Re: Gabby is having minor surgery.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 05:27:22 PM »
I can't see him being fit for Sunday

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 07:52:51 PM »
Remember we went 20 odd games unbeaten with Gabby as the lone striker in 08/09.

I'd still have him ahead of heskey in the lone role as he has a bigger goal threat and more pace to stretch defences.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 03:08:28 AM »
The think about Gabby is that at his best he can hold the ball up as good as Heskey ala the CCup final where he was superb. At his worst he still forces defenders to drop deep as they are scared of his pace, he wins so many penalties and forces yellow cards and penalties. Gabby at his best like last season is capable of 15-20 goals a season and will get penalties, free kicks, opposition yellow cards. To be honest without spending 20m plus I dont really think there is a player out there that would improve us much more than Gabby.

But he is not really an option wide right as he is brainless in the extreme. He screws up so many passes on the counterattacks, always signposting where is going to play it. Up front or on the bench I reckon.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 09:58:39 AM »
Fit or not I'd have him on the bench on Sunday just to out the fear of God into them when he warms up.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »
One thing we haven't seen too much of yet is Ash playing central with Gabby upfront.  I've always thought they played well together and had a good understanding, so that might make a very effective partnership once he's fit.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 11:05:12 AM »
Remember we went 20 odd games unbeaten with Gabby as the lone striker in 08/09.

I'd still have him ahead of heskey in the lone role as he has a bigger goal threat and more pace to stretch defences.

Totally agree

Pace is the one thing that will really hurt most defences and whilst Ivanhoe has done okay of late he is never going to score many

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 01:47:22 PM »
If Gabby is 100% fit then he is by far and away at his best on his own. Without being too harsh, as the fast striker I always think you have to have the football brain to read the game if playing off another man, whereas on your own the role is more defined to either running over the top or sheinding with the back to goal. Now "really" or "definateerrly" Gabby is not the brightest button, but is very strong, willing and talented when on his own. I think our formation at the moment is made for him to do well when he is fully fit. If only 20 minutes in him though, I would have him on the bench this weekend. They are shit scared of him and Dann/ Johnson are not the fastest.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 01:52:10 PM »
Gabby is the player we miss more than any other when he is out of the side.

I have no doubt that we would be better off points wise had we had him fit all season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal